BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just test drove an iX 40 M Sport in the UK and I was so impressed I have decided to order one on a business lease. I have to put in my colour and options tomorrow.

The demo car I tested had the 22" Individual 1021 style air performance alloy wheels (which had already all been kerbed) but they are a cost option and the standard wheels are the 21" 1012 style Bi-colour air performance alloy wheels.

However, I was surprised how comfortable the ride was on the 22" wheels even on some of the crappy roads in London, despite no air suspension.

I do like the way the 22" wheels look and I'm not that bothered about the impact on range either.

However, is there any big advantage to just having the standard 21" wheels (apart from saving a bit of money)? Would the ride be significantly more comfortable and would you get loads more range? They didn't have a car with 21" wheels for me to try.

From discussions on here, it seems the extra cash for the massage seats would be a waste of money. Has anyone ordered the Parking Assistant Pro option where it can do stuff like this;
"- manoeuvring Assistant function, which can save up to 10 taught routes and drive them again independently
  • Reversing Assistant Professional with a travel distance of up to 200m.
  • use of the remote control to steer the vehicle into/out of the corresponding parking space automatically. The manoeuvre is driven seamlessly even if the driver switched between operation from within and outside of the vehicle."

·
Registered
2022 IX, F150 Lightning, Fisker Ocean orders
26 Posts
Also consider durability and replacement.

21s are the hardest to find (and most expensive) to replace. Worst range.
22s will last the least and be most susceptible to curbs. But better range and easier to replace than 21s.
20s are the easiest to replace and last the longest. Best range.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the 22 inch wheels... was very concerned about the comfort, but surprised how nice the car rides. I also have air suspension. In terms of range, although I have not yet charged to 100%, at 80% im getting 300 miles easy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also consider durability and replacement.

21s are the hardest to find (and most expensive) to replace. Worst range.
22s will last the least and be most susceptible to curbs. But better range and easier to replace than 21s.
20s are the easiest to replace and last the longest. Best range.
@TAB Noted. 20s are not offered here in the UK, so 22s it is then!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My iX on order has the 21's.. I just couldn't fathom having such ugly wheels as the standard 20's and the 21's most matched my idea of how the wheels should look. My car is being built third week in September but the spec is locked at this time...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes but you still have to look at them walking to and from your car...;)
I'll squint;) Joking aside, I plan to get a winter wheel set. The two options that BMW USA offer for the iX are:
1. ShopBMWUSA.com | BMW 21 Inch Style 1011 Aerodynamic Cold Weather Wheel and Tire Set in Jet Black
2. ShopBMWUSA.com | BMW 19 Inch Style 859 Y-Spoke Cold Weather Wheel and Tire Set in Jet Black
I couldn't find range information for those wheel options. Does anyone have advice / other recommendations?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live in London too - I have the ix50 with the standard 21 inch wheels. Truthfully I wouldn't say they are beautiful (perhaps in common with the car itself!). But there is a massive plus for me: They are deep enough and the tires stand proud enough that you don't curb them. My previous car had low profile tyres and it was just impossible not to damage them with the amount of parallel parking (not to mention the pot holes) required in London. Also I have leased the car so sourcing and replacing tyres won't be my problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in London too - I have the ix50 with the standard 21 inch wheels. Truthfully I wouldn't say they are beautiful (perhaps in common with the car itself!). But there is a massive plus for me: They are deep enough and the tires stand proud enough that you don't curb them. My previous car had low profile tyres and it was just impossible not to damage them with the amount of parallel parking (not to mention the pot holes) required in London. Also I have leased the car so sourcing and replacing tyres won't be my problem.
@RobWood Thanks for sharing your experience and your viewpoint. Yes, I remember in the showroom, noticing how the sidewalls on the 21 inch wheels were much larger, and that definitely seemed to be the more sensible choice for parking in London (as some of the kerbs can be very high!)

However, I found the looks of the 22inch wheels to be rather more pleasing, especially with my exterior colour selection, and I'll have the 360 camera so that will help reduce the risk of kerbing the wheels.

I've leased the car too, and at the end of the day, I'll do my best to park carefully, but if the wheels do get kerbed or impacted by potholes, that's just part and parcel of living in a city like London and I'm not going to let it bother me. If it was my own car and I was keeping it for 10+ years, then yes, I might think again about getting the iX at all, simply because of the way the diamond cut wheels (even the 21s) are designed, I'm not sure it would be possible to repair them to factory standard.

Car Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts