BMW iX Forums banner

22” aero wheel inserts - loose

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  prameshp 
#1 ·
Dear all
I have an iX50 with 22” aero wheels. I have noticed when cleaning the car that the inserts on some of the wheels are loose. You can rock them by hand. On some of the other wheels they are tight. There is a special security head for tightening the inserts on the inside of the rim (see photo).
I have not contacted BMW services about this as of yet.
Has any other owner of the same type of wheel noticed something similar or had a conversation with their BMW dealer about this topic?
Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
An update on this topic. I spoke to the BMW service technician when the car was in for a software upgrade due to some service recalls last week. A neighbouring iX50 with the same wheels also had wobbly inserts. So we deduced it was normal. I changed the wheels to the 21” winters and at the same time checked the inserts on both sets of alloys. I found that they were loose, to differing degrees on every wheel. Actually, on one of the 21” wheels one of the security screws had backed off considerably and was close to falling out. I tightened all the screws, most only by a quarter turn or so. I would recommend you do the same if you have the 22” or 21” wheels with inserts.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.