BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my TCU was replaced due to malfunction I have a new problem with slow charging at my home wall box, which has a maximum power of 48 amps. After I draw the slider in the car to the max setting of 48 amps, it will always adjust itself back to 16 amps after the next start. Even adjusting right at the beginning of a charging station will not help.The next morning it will be back to 16 amps and the SoC will be insufficient accordingly. BMW Genius recommended to reboot by depressing the volume button. The problem persists though. Does anybody have similar experience and maybe even a solution?

·
Registered
402 Posts
A complete reboot then may be the easiest thing to try. Not sure what you did for the reboot, but it needs you to: hold down the volume button until the screen goes blank and the "OK" option appears - continue holding it. When the screen goes blank again and the "OK" option pops up the second time, release the button. This will take longer than the recommended "30 seconds." Exit the car and lock it, and wait about an hour. You might also delete the myBMW app from your phone and reinstall it, and check the settings on your EVSE and software (you didn't mention what type, but many have the ability to limit power). If the problem is resolved you're golden. If not, this one may be a dealer visit.

2023 iX xDrive50
135 Posts
A complete reboot then may be the easiest thing to try. Not sure what you did for the reboot, but it needs you to: hold down the volume button until the screen goes blank and the "OK" option appears - continue holding it. When the screen goes blank again and the "OK" option pops up the second time, release the button. This will take longer than the recommended "30 seconds." Exit the car and lock it, and wait about an hour. You might also delete the myBMW app from your phone and reinstall it, and check the settings on your EVSE and software (you didn't mention what type, but many have the ability to limit power). If the problem is resolved you're golden. If not, this one may be a dealer visit.
If the reset didn't fix the issue as my friend Paladin1 suggests, try this Harder Reset:

How to do a HARD RESET:

Without depressing brake pedal,
Press START/STOP button rapidly 3 times
-> message in instrument cluster: Diagnose mode active.

Press and Hold volume roll in center console down until system restarts.
Done.

Difference between "normal" reset via volume button and reset in "diagnose mode" is that more modules get re-set, including the instrument cluster.

NOTE: If this Hard Reset doesn't solve the issue, you might need to redo the Hard Reset, MULTIPLE TIMES

I hope this helps.
There is something about processing Reset, locking the car, letting it sit for many hours and try charging it again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This forum is golden because of you guys! In the back of my mind I heard about the hard reset. That could be a great tool. Thanks , Rick and Palladin 1. This night it charged flawlessly constantly on 48 amps. Even though I had to manually adjust to 48 amps before the charging process. My app on the phone shows under current limit for AC charging 'unlimited', while on the display in the car '16 amp'. I'll start to solve the problem today by first trying the complete reboot. If this doesn't fix it the Hard reset. After reading Rick's advise I understand that even the hard reset is not harmful, since it can be repeated multiple times.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did try out the Hard reset multiple times with no success unfortunately. Next time I start the car the lever has adjusted itself back to 16 amp every time. Over the next charging sessions I will manually set it to 48 amp and hope that it will stay there till it reaches the desired SoC. Looks like I will have to make an appointment with the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After my TCU was replaced due to malfunction I have a new problem with slow charging at my home wall box, which has a maximum power of 48 amps. After I draw the slider in the car to the max setting of 48 amps, it will always adjust itself back to 16 amps after the next start. Even adjusting right at the beginning of a charging station will not help.The next morning it will be back to 16 amps and the SoC will be insufficient accordingly. BMW Genius recommended to reboot by depressing the volume button. The problem persists though. Does anybody have similar experience and maybe even a solution?
Sorry to hijack the conversation but they just told me I might have a bad TCU. Can I ask how long it took them to get your part? Thanks in advance!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts