BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered an iX and looking forward to delivery in a few months.
I wondered if any existing owners could share feedback on how the car handles connecting to two different phones. I also have a Mk8 Golf which has wired Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. I find it very frustrating that when we're both in the car, the Golf will always connect to my wife's iPhone for Apple CarPlay automatically, even if I plug my Android phone into the cable before turning the car on. I have to manually switch it over in the menu every time. Since I do the majority of driving and navigating my phone is the one I want to take priority.

Since the iX can presumably connect to multiple phones at once for bluetooth audio, can anyone share if there is a priority setting to choose phone A over phone B if both are present? These simple usability things make a big difference to the smooth experience!

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also I think, both carplay and android auto can project maps on the driver display as well. This is new in idrive8.
adding couple of more questions,
1. Is there any EV informationavailable on carplay or auto when connected to ix?
2. If I navigate to a fast charger via carplay/auto, does the car precondition the battery or it has to be with bmw navigation?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done a test drive in an iX and can confirm nav directions for both Apple and Android appear in the driver display and in the HUD as well. (This was a key feature for me - many cars have HUDs but most only include directions from their native nav in the HUD - the iX will do it for both smartphone systems as well).

·
Registered
112 Posts
BMW is working with driver ID. Seat come into the individual position as soon the person has been selected. The phone is also linked to the person. Even the key can be linked to such a profile.
There is a small difference between ios and android. With (wireless) android, you can see two apps simultaneous on the screen (e.g. waze AND the music player on your phone), with ios only one (e.g. waze OR music player).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for clarifying! That's clever if it'll pair with my phone because it's my key and profile being used.
Sorry,
I need to correct. I was driving with my wife today and saw that both phone's were connected together.
When she got a call, it went over to the speakers, when I got a call, it appears to be the same.
In the different phone setting, you can choose whether or not, the phone can be used as telephone, music player and carplay/android auto.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks that makes sense. I'm of course happy for both phones to connect for phone or music, I just want specific control over which one connects for Auto/CarPlay. Sounds like it'll work as I hope. Many thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts