BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
Has anyone else seen or been told anything regarding whether BMW has any intention of upgrading existing iX vehicles with further capabilities as they improve their autonomous driving platform? I stumbled across this one article that seemed to suggest so, but my SA is honestly not the most in-the-loop on iX things and had no idea about it.

Or do we think any future upgrades will be for future model years only? I know that pretty much no one besides Tesla has the OTA update thing all hammered out and certainly doesn't seem like BMW would be upgrading our cameras or computers for free.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Frequently breathlessly reported by news outlets (or condemned as a menace to humanity), fully autonomous Level 3 systems are likely years if not decades away because of the infrastructure required to support them. Estimates to repair/replace and upgrade US highways systems alone are in the trillions, and likely low at that. BMW has continued evolving their OTA push capability, and with new hardware/software it will continue to improve, but what you drive on is at least as important as what you drive,

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've not a had a single update OTA. Why? Likely because they are still ironing out basic issues with lane adherence and erroneous steering override. See my post today.
I bought my Volvo VC90 in 2015 with the immediate promise of OTA updates (not "coming soon" but described as a current launch feature). 7.5 years later, we're still waiting for it, LOL. I still have the owner's manual that describes how to do it, even though it doesn't exist. Even worse, their software THINKS it has this feature so what inevitably happens is within weeks of having it at a dealer where to update the software, I'll start getting notifications at start-up that new software is available for download. But when you click on the notification page is takes you the software center where there is no available software to download (and never has been).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts