BMW iX Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have only had similar happen when I've been in a drive assist mode involving speed or distance (any but LIMIT). In my episode the car sees its clear ahead and accelerates to the speed set. All this Independent of whether its in Mode B or D...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What I already got and may be an explanation is following:
Driving with speed limit on, you push the accelerator but it keeps you on your 'speed-limit' setting.
Before you are aware, you pushed the accelerator a little bit more and your car is interpreting this as a kick down.
With the available power, your car is pushing forward with a big surprise.
No. Cruise control and speed limiter off. Did it again today. Driving in b mode. No drive controls activated. Car sped up and turned towards incoming traffic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have an alternate theory, because it happened twice to me. Just like the other two owners descriptions, mine also involved turning or getting ready to turn.

I was in B mode slowing up (in slight regen mode--foot clearly off of accelerator). Headed down a slight incline getting ready to turn into my gated driveway. Eyes were clearly on the road so I wasn't looking at center display...or paying attention to heads-up display. When the unexpected acceleration occurred I instinctively stepped on brake to stop it. I took no notice of any interior display. My theory is that the culprit is the power button for the Assisted Driving/Distance Control being accidentally touched (not the Set button mentioned by the other owner) while turning.
Interesting. I’m going to see how sensitive that button is. Maybe she is just barely touching it and not realizing it. Testing tonight.

·
Registered
2022 BMW iX xDrive50
23 Posts
Is there a way to recreate this and make video while you experience this issue.
FWIW, I did the same thing by accidentally touching (slightly) the power button (I/O) for the assistive drive, and made a slight acceleration by accident. Immediately after doing that and turning it back off, I realized this is likely what caused the acceleration people are describing in this thread (at least my best hunch) …

·
Registered
2022 iX
4 Posts
I think I had the car accelerate on me on Saturday night. It happened quickly and I immediately pressed the brake and thought it was odd. I would have ignored it as not being sure of the circumstances. I would have been in B mode. I don’t think I was in cruise control anymore. I’m gonna to pay much more attention now!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had this exact thing happen to me last Friday. Was in a parking lot, let completely off the accelerator in B mode, and the car lunged forward (good thing nobody in front of me and I slammed the brakes). I have the exact date and time that this happened (10 minutes before my tee time LOL) so is the tech able to grab the data from that timestamp to see it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had this exact thing happen to me last Friday. Was in a parking lot, let completely off the accelerator in B mode, and the car lunged forward (good thing nobody in front of me and I slammed the brakes). I have the exact date and time that this happened (10 minutes before my tee time LOL) so is the tech able to grab the data from that timestamp to see it?
I again strongly urge each of you who has experienced this to report it on the NHTSA website (Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA). If enough people complain it will force them and BMW to act. This is dangerous.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I asked the iX service tech at my dealership (sent him your post) if your dealership tech would be able to do any analysis surrounding your timestamp. His reply: "More than likely no. BMW of NA could but we don't get that kind of information. It's above my pay grade as people would say." He went on to say "Instant torque is crazy if you haven't driven one."

21 - 33 of 33 Posts