BMW iX Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
EVs are not a new thing, virtually every EV for the last 10 years loses approx 20% of advertised range in the winter. My iX is much better than my Tesla was in the winter. Unless you lived under a rock for the last decade, can’t imagine what else you expected in the winter on short commutes?
It’s more than a 40% loss do your maths !
And no …. I haven’t spent the last 10 years studying ev’s or buying teslas 🤣🤣
Always had the latest bimmers and always been very happy.
I am more than happy with this car apart from the incorrect battery range claims (even in the summer). So I am simply agreeing with the growing number of posters who are disgruntled with range.

· Registered
112 Posts
I am more than happy with this car apart from the incorrect battery range claims (even in the summer). So I am simply agreeing with the growing number of posters who are disgruntled with range.
Should have done some research before dropping 100k on a car then lol 🤷🏻 most posters are more than happy with range

· Registered
18 Posts
If you're very concerned about the range quoted take the car to a dealer and have them check the battery. There's a possibility you may have dead cells or it may be a software issue. If they can't find anything wrong with it then it will likely be down to your driving style, route geography and weather conditions.

If you really want the most out of your £90 grand car you'll have to adapt to the changes that come with being an EV owner. You said that you're happy with the car so changing a little to get the most from it is a small thing to ask.

· Registered
12 Posts
I just want to get near 200miles, not 120 when I drive it like Miss Daisy.
I am getting 200 miles in Finland 0 to -8C temperatures, mixed driving with 21" wheels fitted with winter tires (same width as 22"). I don't know what you are doing but I'm still at about 165 miles in -13C and below temperatures. No Miss Daisy, within or just above the speed limit.

· Registered
155 Posts
Drove this morning into London for 12 miles on a cold battery, used radiant heating (driver's side only, heated seat and wheel) outside temp was 7C (44F)

Left car parked on street for 2 hours, then drove back home (a lot was uphill) another 12 miles when it was a few degrees warmer (again used radiant heating, not full climate control)

Drove rather swiftly, the instant torque is so much fun at low speeds. A mix of 50, 40, 30 and 20mph zones.

Car was in efficient mode, with B selected (my normal approach) and when I got home, the car is showing an estimated 96 miles of range with 48% SoC remaining, assuming everything stays the same in terms of weather etc

So that's an "estimated" 200 miles on a full charge if I extrapolate that number, and that's making full use of the car's acceleration.

I used to have a Vauxhall Mokka-E this summer and it had a WLTP range of 209 miles from its 50kw battery (a small light city car) and I could get 230-240 miles in urban driving in the summer temps, but drive rapidly or at motorway speeds and the range would drop down to 100-120 miles, even in the summer!

For the size and weight, the iX40 is very efficient, even on giant 22inch wheels. I definitely made the right decision in getting this EV.

Vehicle Automotive design Gadget Personal luxury car Display device

· Registered
50 Posts
I personally love when people are belligerently wrong. It’s an average. Cold winter temperatures impact battery life. Every review stated that winter took the battery down.

I’m seeing about a 10% reduction in range in my M. But I also drive gingerly. I don’t believe you are driving to increase range.

· Registered
40 Posts
I've got a 40 too, picked it up on 1st Sep, so I had the last of our hot summer to compare to the cold December we've just had. I've had just a couple of occasions when I've got close to 250 miles, but it's mostly been around 220 or so.

Agreed though, when December arrived, range dropped significantly and I saw around 175 miles regularly too.

Couple of things I've found;
1) Preconditioning runs for 30 mins but it's so efficient you can usually get away with running it for just 5 to 10 mins before you leave and it creates a reasonable amount of warmth.
2) If you leave the car plugged in to a charge point at home/work (and the charger is set to charge whenever called upon e.g. MyEnergi Zappi "Fast" mode) then the Preconditioning will be pulled from the charger, not from the car's battery. So you save the battery on board and don't impact the range. Obviously doesn't help on your return journey if you have no accessible charger.

· Registered
8 Posts
Just got my iX40 3 weeks ago (just at the tail end of the cold snap we had here in London/United Kingdom). In the last 2 weeks I drove it to Belgium doing 2.6kW on motorway avg at 75-80 mph in B mode with airco/seat warming (and it was around 10C outside) and was pleasantly surprised by the range I got for such a heavy car. Did 157 mile journey and had about 40 miles left when I arrived. Similar story when I went to Weymouth from London over the weekend - did about 2.8kW on motorway (and it was around 11C outside with heavy rain/wind on the way down). I even noticed on the way back that it stated I'd have 17% battery left when I would arrive back in Dulwich (London) and during the trip that actually rose to 37% when I arrived back home... I am driving the same way as I did before in my 530e (not racing/not like granny either), so I am very happy about this range at the moment... btw did a charge @ Bp Pulse and got 120kW, again, very impressed with that!

· Registered
169 Posts
Just got my iX40 3 weeks ago (just at the tail end of the cold snap we had here in London/United Kingdom). In the last 2 weeks I drove it to Belgium doing 2.6kW on motorway avg at 75-80 mph in B mode with airco/seat warming (and it was around 10C outside) and was pleasantly surprised by the range I got for such a heavy car. Did 157 mile journey and had about 40 miles left when I arrived. Similar story when I went to Weymouth from London over the weekend - did about 2.8kW on motorway (and it was around 11C outside with heavy rain/wind on the way down). I even noticed on the way back that it stated I'd have 17% battery left when I would arrive back in Dulwich (London) and during the trip that actually rose to 37% when I arrived back home... I am driving the same way as I did before in my 530e (not racing/not like granny either), so I am very happy about this range at the moment... btw did a charge @ Bp Pulse and got 120kW, again, very impressed with that!
Very nice range numbers considering you were driving 75-80 mph. Recently I tried efficient mode with 72mph cruise control, which is very helpful to get you extended range. Next time I'll try 76-80mph in efficient mode.

· Registered
155 Posts
I charged my iX40 up to 90% last night on a rapid charger. Then drove 5 miles in the suburbs.

Amazed to get 4.0 miles per kwh after a few miles before I encountered some hills and it dropped down to 3.5 miles per kwh. I was in efficiency with B, no climate control and 11C (52F) and it was raining!

It's probably because the battery was very warm after being charged that led to amazing efficiency. In the summer, I think I should be able to get 280-300 miles out of the battery.

· Registered
169 Posts
I charged my iX40 up to 90% last night on a rapid charger. Then drove 5 miles in the suburbs.

Amazed to get 4.0 miles per kwh after a few miles before I encountered some hills and it dropped down to 3.5 miles per kwh. I was in efficiency with B, no climate control and 11C (52F) and it was raining!

It's probably because the battery was very warm after being charged that led to amazing efficiency. In the summer, I think I should be able to get 280-300 miles out of the battery.
Nice, thanks for sharing.
No climate control probably biggest difference.

· Registered
155 Posts
280-300 probably not for iX40 but 260 miles in summer is realistic
@matala I'm already getting 235 miles this week and it's winter and raining a lot! Bear in mind that my usage is city often 20-30mph with lots of regen on flat streets, so I tend to get much more range from any EV that I drive (vs manufacturer's claims) hence why I think I'll be able to get 280-300 in the summer.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
If it makes you that miserable sell the car and go back to ICE!
I would of I didn't loose tons of money for 3 months driving. UK not set up for EV yet. Most motorway charge only have limited superchargers, which are usually full up and when you finally plug in you pay extortionate rates for electricity.
I would love to know the secret. I think my battery is a pile of shit. Car lovely though.
In autumn I was getting 190 - 205 max on full 100% charge. My daily round trip to work is 32 miles but I am lucky if I get 4 days travel and only drive on A road and M25. I would love to drive fast but never exceed 70. So I am get 128 mile on a full charge. I do pre-warm, have sat Nav on and heat at 21 Deg. Help...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts