BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all UK based drivers.

I'm totally convinced that by changing to iX50 I'm moving into a better vehicle than current model X, my only reservation is the loss of access to the Tesla supercharging network.
I can't face carrying a bucket load of distinct cards or running multiple subscriptions for a range of different charging networks and I'm hopeful that there's one (two at a push) that the UK community will endorse for:

Reliability, Speed of charge, Accessibility and coverage

I appreciate that I'm essentially describing the Tesla SC network but hope there may be a consensus about how to replicate without building a patchwork quilt of services to achieve it?

All advice gratefully received!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've found Fastned to be the most convenient. Not many sites in the UK yet but the hypercharge sites have maxed 190kw charge on my ix50. That's almost 100 miles every 10 minutes.

You can connect the BMW charge app account to a Fastned account and after the first visit to a site your car is subsequently recognised. You can then just plug and play without having to bother with apps or cards.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've found Fastned to be the most convenient. Not many sites in the UK yet but the hypercharge sites have maxed 190kw charge on my ix50. That's almost 100 miles every 10 minutes.

You can connect the BMW charge app account to a Fastned account and after the first visit to a site your car is subsequently recognised. You can then just plug and play without having to bother with apps or cards.
Thank you, this is really helpful.
The existing network is limited as you say and the existing locations aren't particularly well located for my infrequent longer journeys but they appear to be a great option if/as they scale. I'll look out for them as they expand.

It seems sensible, to me at least, for some provider to maintain a really high quality network, permanently available/maintained and charge a premium rate to service/support it. This looks like a contender.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The BMW charging app/account also supports (discounted) Ionity and BP Pulse. The latter can be a bit temperamental but with those three options you should have a simple one shop solution for traveling nationwide and through Europe.

If you travel in Scotland make sure you have a active Chargeplace Scotland account - this is very useful for emergencies as many local authority office car parks have (working!) 50kw chargers tucked away that the public can access.

I would add that the battery and range are so big on the ix50 that you will just end up destination charging most of the time. It is a superb long distance EV, as is the Model X.

·
Registered
49 Posts
@Supercharger I have found Instavolt to be 100% reliable. Worst is BP network. They have the potential to be brilliant given how many charging points they have, but in reality, I have so many issues with their points, turning up only to find them out of order, or even if they are up, then you can't start a charge with your card, and have to call them up.

Shell Recharge is also good, I've used them quite a bit at their petrol stations. Fastned and Gridserve with their multiple ultra rapid charging points are also great.

One thing I would advise you of, is to be very aware of possible parking fees at some of these public charging points. If it's in a petrol station, sometimes you have to give your reg number to the cashier to register when you arrive, and if you don't, you get a penalty fine in the post.

Worst was Fastned in their new Oxford park and ride, where it's not clear when you turn up that if you don't register for parking within 10 mins of arrival, you'll get a £100 fine.

Probably the worst aspect of many of these public charge points is actually how they have been designed (whether it's the size of the bay itself, or even the location of the charge point relative to the charge port location on your EV and whether the cable actually reaches your charge port) - I've found some bays are in such a crap position in the car park, you can't actually get a really big EV in there.

I drove 150 miles recently to Hereford and one of my apps said a Geniepoint 50kw charge was available in the Morrisons. So I headed there, found that the charger was actually available, was excited to charge up for my return journey, and then found the touch screen on the charging point wasn't responding, and even if it was working, the unit was missing the CCS cable, so I wouldn't have even been able to charge anyway. In the end, I had to waste another 20 mins, crossing town, to use a BP unit that was in the middle of nowhere.

If you're really going to make the switch from Tesla, then make the switch with your eyes open and be prepared to build in extra time for your road trips, in the event of issues with charging.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd agree with all the points above, but would add that you CAN use some Tesla superchargers (at at cost of course). Check your Tesla app, it shows sites available to non-tesla owners. I suspect, but I don't know, your app may not show it though because you ARE a Tesla owner.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle
World Black Font Astronomical object Screenshot

·
Registered
15 Posts
In first place overall this year is InstaVolt – the rapid charging network scored particularly highly for reliability and ease of use, securing its 'Best EV Charging Network' badge. Taking the 'EV Driver Recommended' second and third places respectively are two other rapid charging networks, MFG EV Power and Osprey.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I visited an instavolt last week near Whitstable, the case for the handle was broken and the wires exposed.

There is no way to report the issue except via email which bounced back.

Glad I wasn’t desperate for a charge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts