BMW iX Forums banner

California HOV decal on iX

5K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  alphanstein 
#1 ·
I received my California HOV decal (the one we can use on HOV lanes even if we are driving alone, due to the electric car benefit). They're so ugly! Two big two small, orange color.

I hesitated a lot about whether to put them on - so destroying the outlook of my iX! But it does provide some benefits during rush hours on my work commute. So I bought the magnetic sheets on Amazon and tried to stick them on the fenders etc. (my idea was to use it on weekdays when I normally just park my iX at my workplace's garage and home and remove them on weekends when I go outside). However, I found they only stick on the back fenders (the panel with the charging port).

Now I'm thinking to learn from youtube and buy a piece of PPF and stick the decal on the PPF, and then stick the PPF to the lower back bumper, which is clear plastic. Will that work? Or, in order to just stick on the plastic bumper, I don't need to use PPF (which is normally used on paint car body) and some other easier ways work better - ideally removable when needed

Anyone have a similar issue? Thanks

#2 ·
seems like back of car visibility only would be okay since CHPs would likely be creeping behind you anyways. I might do same thing, living in Los Angeles. Can you briefly describe process to obtain HOVs? My initial research had proved iX was ineligible, but that now appears disproven...

#3 ·
just fill in this form and mail it to the address on it. It took me about 20 days to receive the decal.https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/file/application-for-clean-air-vehicle-decal-reg-1000-pdf/
Will you use the magnetic, or something to stick on the plastic bumper? The thing bothering me is what thing to get the decal to stick to the bumper. I learned that directly using the sticker will (1) very hard to remove (2) can't re-stick as there seems some little technology to void the decal when you remove it in a hard way...

#8 ·
yes I'm thinking to use PPF too (by the way you can save a few bucks by just buying a piece of ppf and cut it yourself, but no big deal). My question is - these will work well on Telsa etc. as it will stick to the paint body. But for iX, probably we're going to stick to the lower bumper which is plastic. Will PPF stick as good as it is on paint body?

#14 ·
I received my California HOV decal (the one we can use on HOV lanes even if we are driving alone, due to the electric car benefit). They're so ugly! Two big two small, orange color.

I hesitated a lot about whether to put them on - so destroying the outlook of my iX! But it does provide some benefits during rush hours on my work commute. So I bought the magnetic sheets on Amazon and tried to stick them on the fenders etc. (my idea was to use it on weekdays when I normally just park my iX at my workplace's garage and home and remove them on weekends when I go outside). However, I found they only stick on the back fenders (the panel with the charging port).

Now I'm thinking to learn from youtube and buy a piece of PPF and stick the decal on the PPF, and then stick the PPF to the lower back bumper, which is clear plastic. Will that work? Or, in order to just stick on the plastic bumper, I don't need to use PPF (which is normally used on paint car body) and some other easier ways work better - ideally removable when needed

Anyone have a similar issue? Thanks
To show how messed up the CA DMV is. I sent my $22 fee to the DMV with my form filled out for HOV stickers in early January. Saw my check was cashed last week and expected to get my HOV stickers in a few weeks. Lo and behold I received a new registration card in the mail yesterday. Now I have start the whole process over again. WTF!!!

#24 ·
FYI... although we had the same situation as @SoFreshSoClean, receiving a new registration card 2 days after our check was cashed, we did actually receive the decals today, about a week later. They are a lime green color instead of orange, which must be the new 2023 color. SLIGHT improvement I suppose, but we're still going to look at alternatives for temporarily affixing them.

#27 ·
For those who have gotten tags, do you know whether they actually confirm the wheel size via VIN? I so very much want the sticker and only just after taking delivery found out it may not be available for wheel sizes greater than 20inch on the xdrive50 model ... I would even be willing to buy new wheels and tires, though unclear whether that would help given that the VIN may be tagged as 21inch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.