BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
@Rick in So California USA I just watched Kyle's video review of the i7 and native iDrive YouTube app already exists! Don't know if it's available for the iX or not yet.
According to sources it won't be on first run i7 models (though it is on the press models). Supposed to push out in an update for both i7 and iX in the first half of 2023.

2023 iX xDrive50
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could come as early as the 3.2023 software update, but a prerequisite is that the car be equipped with an e-sim.
Hugo, my iX is equipped with e-sim. Would the e-sim need to activated with T-Mobile? I’ve heard that a lot of people cannot get it work or partially work. Also, most Genius’ at dealerships or BMW NA don't have a clue on this functionality at all. I bet T-Mobile work be the same.

I’m not sure why BMW couldn't get it to work thru wireless Car Play.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hugo, my iX is equipped with e-sim. Would the e-sim need to activated with T-Mobile? I’ve heard that a lot of people cannot get it work or partially work. Also, most Genius’ at dealerships or BMW NA don't have a clue on this functionality at all. I bet T-Mobile work be the same.

I’m not sure why BMW couldn't get it to work thru wireless Car Play.
I can't say. BMW likely wants this to go through the e-Sim so they don't have to pay for the data through the ConnectedDrive service. Also, it's worth pointing out the there's this little wireless sim reader doodad that BMW is advertising too which may alleviate the pain of the e-Sim setup:

·
Registered
iX M60 Storm Bay Stealth
64 Posts
I can't say. BMW likely wants this to go through the e-Sim so they don't have to pay for the data through the ConnectedDrive service. Also, it's worth pointing out the there's this little wireless sim reader doodad that BMW is advertising too which may alleviate the pain of the e-Sim setup:
Do you think that is what we'd end up requiring in NZ? Our cars don't ship with eSIM enabled do they? Though I suspect the hardware is actually there.

·
Registered
iX M60 Storm Bay Stealth
64 Posts
Nope hardware is not there. Our cars ship with TCU 4G Low. The eSim is only present in TCU 5G High.
So this Sim dongle would be the solution we'd need there then (assuming carrier/band compatibility)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
So this Sim dongle would be the solution we'd need there then (assuming carrier/band compatibility)?
Well maybe, but unlikely based on the information at hand. It's currently listed as requiring cars with eSim capability already onboard. I have seen something about this in the Headunit coding files...I might just order one of those readers for the hell of it.

·
Registered
iX M60 Storm Bay Stealth
64 Posts
Well maybe, but unlikely based on the information at hand. It's currently listed as requiring cars with eSim capability already onboard. I have seen something about this in the Headunit coding files...I might just order one of those readers for the hell of it.
I was thinking about doing the same. Do you know the part number?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts