BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the current draw is of the charger that comes with the iX? I am installing a second Type 2 outlet in my garage (already have one for our Mini), in preparation for the arrival my new iX (ordered 6/1). BMW dealership has no answers except to have their charge-partner Qmerit take care of it. My electrician has already done one for us that worked fine and installed the panel last year to prepare for the iX so it seems pretty straight forward: I’m thinking 30, 40, or 50 amps. Likely install a bit over the minimum required. But I can’t seem to get a clear answer about what amperage the charger that comes with the car requires. Anyone have insight?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I notice you are in the US, so I know you have 110/120v or split phase 220/240v -- I have no idea if you can get 3 phase 230v. You didn't specify if this was a 110 supply or 220

Single Phase max is 7.4kW ~= 32A @ 230v
3 Phase max is 11kW ~= 16A per phase @ 230v

·
Registered
iX xdrive50
45 Posts
Our dealer provided a complimentary BMW Wallbox. I arranged the installation to the car park near my parking slot under our building via BMW Turkey‘s charging partner. (Installation was at some cost of course, cabling and fuses from my flat’s electric box to the parking slot)

My connection is 3 phase and max 11 kw. However, I cannot see full 11 kw, it is around 10,3 kw. Technicians told me that it is normal.

Vehicle Tire Car Automotive design Wheel

Car Vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror Motor vehicle

Output device Flat panel display Gadget Computer monitor accessory Communication Device

·
Registered
45 Posts
Where do you see the actual charging rate in the car. Is it even possible? I know the graph shows the MAX rate from that charger (in your case above 11kW) an presumably the little bar gives a rough indication, but is there a readout in numbers saying (say) 10.3kW or are you getting it off the charger? Same question for CCS/DCFC
I think the answer is no, and its really bugging me

·
Registered
iX xdrive50
45 Posts
I forgot to mention that in my previous post. I got the reading of 10.2 - 10.3 kw on an iX3 which I was using for a little while.

Below is the photo from that time (charging from same wallbox) :

Vehicle Speedometer Gauge Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
BMW iX xDrive40
70 Posts
I have seen it being less the 11 kW when the phase voltage is less then 230 Volt.
Seem like the limiting factor is 16 A current, and depending on voltage it can be less the 3 times 3,68 kW that is stated as the max AC charging capacity.
The reading was done in a wallbox interface, i have not seen this detailed info in the car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have seen it being less the 11 kW when the phase voltage is less then 230 Volt.
Seem like the limiting factor is 16 A current, and depending on voltage it can be less the 3 times 3,68 kW that is stated as the max AC charging capacity.
The reading was done in a wallbox interface, i have not seen this detailed info in the car.
This is the most logic answer.
Limiting factor is Amps! 11kW is in the case of 230V, if it decrease to 220V, you only have10.56kW. For a10.3kW the voltage probably drops to 215 V if the cable is somewhat longer.

·
Registered
iX xdrive50
45 Posts
This is the most logic answer.
Limiting factor is Amps! 11kW is in the case of 230V, if it decrease to 220V, you only have10.56kW. For a10.3kW the voltage probably drops to 215 V if the cable is somewhat longer.
I am not sure about my precise voltage, but technicans from BMW partner company told me that this reading is normal and it is never full 11 kw. It is mentioned also everywhere that it is “max 11 kw”.

Note: They used around 50 meters cable. A proper cabling was applied but maybe distance can matter I am not sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am not sure about my precise voltage, but technicans from BMW partner company told me that this reading is normal and it is never full 11 kw. It is mentioned also everywhere that it is “max 11 kw”.

Note: They used around 50 meters cable. A proper cabling was applied but maybe distance can matter I am not sure.
yes, longer the cable there will be more voltage lost therefore final watt/kw will goes down. depends on cable type and tickhness voltage lost can be minimized. But 11 vs 10 point something is not big lost my opinion

·
Registered
112 Posts

I just checked.
The voltage in China is 220V by 50Hz.
If you used a 2.5 mm² cable of about 50m, you have an additional loss of 2,4% in Power.
This mean: 220V x 16 A x 3 (phases) = 10.56 kW
A loss of 2.4% : 10.56 kW x (1-0.024) = 10.31 kW.
Seems logic with your findings.
Enjoy the riding!
That counts more!

·
Registered
iX xdrive50
45 Posts
I just checked.
The voltage in China is 220V by 50Hz.
If you used a 2.5 mm² cable of about 50m, you have an additional loss of 2,4% in Power.
This mean: 220V x 16 A x 3 (phases) = 10.56 kW
A loss of 2.4% : 10.56 kW x (1-0.024) = 10.31 kW.
Seems logic with your findings.
Enjoy the riding!
That counts more!
Perfect explanation, this is definitely correct. In Turkey we have 220V and cable is used as you mentioned.

@Fbez I agree. Because I leave it to charge overnight anyway. 1 hour less or more is not a big thing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, Amps is always* the limiting factor - even with DC fast charging, CCS2 spec is limited to 500A, so the pack voltage limits the max kW. In fact, you can see that in the beginning of the charge curve when the battery voltage is lower, you get less than 195kW (this is all assuming a warm pack and the charger can sustain it) which gradually rises as the pack voltage rises. Another interesting point is the pack voltage of the i4 is HIGHER than the iX 50 (which is odd in itself, given the pack is ~80kWh) which means it can peak at 205kW

So, 16A on a 3 phase charger or 32A on a single phase times the voltage at the car will give you the Watts.

For those that care, any resistance in the circuit, being resistance of the cable itself or resistance of the contact between the plug and the socket, or any components in the charger will all lead to losses equal to the resistance times the SQUARE of the current (i2r) which have to be dissipated as heat somehow, so if you feel any cable getting warm or hot that is why.

* ok, not strictly true, but for these discussions....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.