BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
I have had my BMW IX for about 3 weeks. I fast DC charged once to see how it works. I am getting mixed message on whether using a DC fast charger on a regular basis (about once per week) is bad for the battery. Some are saying its fine and others are saying that is puts a big toll on the battery and can cause capacity losses much quicker than using Level 2. Any thoughts? I live in a high rise and I simply can't charge overnight like most people can.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That thinking is based on this study by the INL. After 50k miles, the difference is battery capacity was less than 5%.
The LEAF in this test uses a older battery-type and the battery management system was not so far pushed as it is today.
BMW as well as Tesla are using a preconditioning of the battery before starting fast charge.
This means that batteries are brought to ideal temperature conditions before starting fast-charging.
Knowing that batteries are aging very slowly when they are between 10% and 80% of full charge, you can easily fast charge when battery is in low capacity.
The charging curve is explaining a lot in this case. Charging at high speed, is only admit between 3% and 15% (±150kW)
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue

I don't think that it will make a big difference with an advanced battery management as the iX has.
Eg. I didn't indicate by navigation that I would go to charge.
The batteries were not pre-conditioned and the charging speed was limited to 120 kW.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As far as I know, fast charging does deteriorate the battery but when talking about a brand like BMW, the deterioration shouldn't be that quick. Further, you can always consult your dealer or a company technician for a professional piece of advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI,
I have had my BMW IX for about 3 weeks. I fast DC charged once to see how it works. I am getting mixed message on whether using a DC fast charger on a regular basis (about once per week) is bad for the battery. Some are saying its fine and others are saying that is puts a big toll on the battery and can cause capacity losses much quicker than using Level 2. Any thoughts? I live in a high rise and I simply can't charge overnight like most people can.

I'm in a similar situation as you without a home AC charger and rely mostly on the DC fast charger to save time. The e-manual however seems to recommend AC charging for daily usage which is definitely a challenge….

Terrestrial plant Font Darkness Science Screenshot

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Fast DC charging is always stressful for the pack no matter what the manufacturer says. However, BMW's battery is warranted against 30% degradation. Those who DC charge a lot will see more degradation over time than those who charge at a lower rate on AC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts