BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a very early IX50, in the Uk on the weekend and noticed what appeared to be condensation in the front and rear lights. The dealer said they weren't sealed units and it was frosty/cold so probably not an issue, but he'd get their techs to look into it today. I'm not wholly convinced by this explanation.

It was particularly odd on the front as it appeared to be in weird blotchy patterns that almost resembled mold growth patterns! (n.b. no mold present)

Also I noticed an oily multicoloured film on the lights which I think may have been some polish/protection product as I didn't see that sheen on any other IXs lights?

On the rear it seemed like water or frost had formed on the inside edge nearest the center of one of the lights.

Anyone had condensation in their IX lights? It was in the dealership when I arrived, and I didn't really look at the light until after we did a brief test drive. Maybe the change in temp had an impact?

Anyway they will get back to me on them. Think I will have to walk away if the answer is not satisfactory as I can't imagine how many thousand they cost.

· Registered
155 Posts
I test drove a very early IX50, in the Uk on the weekend and noticed what appeared to be condensation in the front and rear lights. The dealer said they weren't sealed units and it was frosty/cold so probably not an issue, but he'd get their techs to look into it today. I'm not wholly convinced by this explanation.

It was particularly odd on the front as it appeared to be in weird blotchy patterns that almost resembled mold growth patterns! (n.b. no mold present)

Also I noticed an oily multicoloured film on the lights which I think may have been some polish/protection product as I didn't see that sheen on any other IXs lights?

On the rear it seemed like water or frost had formed on the inside edge nearest the center of one of the lights.

Anyone had condensation in their IX lights? It was in the dealership when I arrived, and I didn't really look at the light until after we did a brief test drive. Maybe the change in temp had an impact?

Anyway they will get back to me on them. Think I will have to walk away if the answer is not satisfactory as I can't imagine how many thousand they cost.
@Dan UK It's not an issue.

Same happens with my iX after rain or in cold weather. It happens to many cars with LED headlights. Happened with my Mercedes and Toyota cars before. Mentioned in their owner manuals too, that condensation may appear due to weather, rain etc.

It won't affect the functionality of the LED headlights and it's not a defect.

· Registered
61 Posts
How weird?
Even early Halogen Headlamps had "rubber boots" which sealed the headlight cavity - is the automoitive world going backwrds? Any moisture could promote mould so then how would the lens be cleaned? Sounds a bit fishy to me even if it is written in the manual??

· Registered
262 Posts
How weird?
Even early Halogen Headlamps had "rubber boots" which sealed the headlight cavity - is the automoitive world going backwrds? Any moisture could promote mould so then how would the lens be cleaned? Sounds a bit fishy to me even if it is written in the manual??
The only truly sealed headlights are the "sealed beam" units from long ago. If you can change the bulb or LED, by definition the headlight is not sealed. You will also notice in some light assemblies what looks like a pinhole. This is for venting moisture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts