BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in California, a sunny state and expect to get my iX after the current stop sale.
While I heard manufactures already did a good job on preventing ultraviolet and infrared ray coming into the car, I want to see if any one further tint the front/rear window & sunroof just for heat rejection purpose, and how you feel about the temperature difference after tint.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm definitely doing the rear sides and rear window at around 15% VLT, front sides around 30-35% VLT, possibly 30-50% VLT for the sunroof, and nothing for the windshield. I wear polarized sunglasses (also in CA) and looking through tinted surfaces makes everything really warped where the installer stretched the tint, so that's definitely a no for the windshield but acceptable for the sides and back.

·
Registered
BMW IX 50
104 Posts
I live in S. Florida and the first thing I did when I got the car was to ceramic tint the windows 15% and moonroof 5%. The front window does not need to be tinted as it is infrared glass. It actually rejects heat better than any of the tinted window. I have never been a moonroof person living on SFL, I was disappointed that the IX does not come with a sun shade or sun screen because even with dark 5% tint, you can still feel heat coming through if you hover your hand about 1 inch away from moonroof while sitting inside the car. However, the tinting has made a very big difference. I have had the car now 4 months like this

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live in S. Florida and the first thing I did when I got the car was to ceramic tint the windows 15% and moonroof 5%. The front window does not need to be tinted as it is infrared glass. It actually rejects heat better than any of the tinted window. I have never been a moonroof person living on SFL, I was disappointed that the IX does not come with a sun shade or sun screen because even with dark 5% tint, you can still feel heat coming through if you hover your hand about 1 inch away from moonroof while sitting inside the car. However, the tinting has made a very big difference. I have had the car now 4 months like this
I also live in SwFL and considering Tinting. Do you recommend a certain brand? Tinting the moon roof though, it's electronic right ? Doesn't effect anything ? I'd like all side and rear tinted

·
Registered
BMW IX 50
104 Posts
It does make it harder to see out of the moon roof, but for me I really didn't care. If I had my choice I would not have even added the moon roof as an option (especially considering it cost like $10,000) Its not necessary to tint the back and side windows. BMW did a great job at dark factory tinting them. The brand I used was luminer (supposedly the best)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is tinting the sunroof safe given the electrochromic glass? Because I may end up tinting mine a bit.

debating on the windows too - 50 is the lowest allowed in wi but I really want to go to 25-35. Not sure what I can get away with having a black sapphire metallic iX without the bronze exterior trim. I haven’t owned a black car for awhile and didn’t tint the Prius when I had it. I do have 35% on my blue MDX Type S and haven’t had issues…

·
Registered
BMW IX 50
104 Posts
Sure its safe,,,It does nothing to the inner working of the electrochromic glass. I don't think you have any restrictions in terms of the tint level on the roof. The max tint my shop had was 5%, and honestly, I would have tinted total blackout if i could... The moonroof is more of a gimmick to me. Even when you allow it to be clear, its still not completely clear. I would have opted without if I could, but it seems all EV makers are now doing this panoramic glass ceiling thing.

·
Registered
BMW IX 50
104 Posts
Your Tint guy can hold a few to the roof and you can see which you like best. Honestly, if I did not live in super hot South FL I probably would not have even tinted it. But I have to say that it does make a huge difference, especially tinting the driving and passenger window at 15% ceramic

·
Registered
2022 BMW iX
42 Posts
Nice, where are you live in Florida?)

·
Registered
2022 BMW iX
42 Posts
White with Oyster interior. I have had my IX exactly 4 months today and have not seen another on the road yet. How about you? have you seen any?
August 21 will be 4 months of ownership. But we bought the car in California, and 3 months ago I drove it to Florida.
I'm not sure, but I think I saw it 1 time just in the sunny Isles area. I was moving and it seemed to me that it was IX.
And while I was driving through the states, I was like an alien ship to everyone.

·
Registered
BMW IX 50
104 Posts
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean..Everybody is looking at it or taking pictures when its parked and I come out of the store. It reminds me of the scene in The Hangover, where Zac Galianakis is at the gas station and the old man is commenting on his car. Wow you got yours only 2 days after the US national release date of Aug 19th. Love the car but wish they did have a sunscreen for the moon roof....Its brutal Here in the Summer as you know

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don’t see a need to tint the roof. It doesn’t;t even get hot to the touch sitting in the sun with the tint mode on and it doesn’t let enough sun in to create shadows inside the car. It’s much more effective that sun shades on the teslas. I thought it was a gimmick until i rode under it for a few weeks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts