BMW iX Forums banner

Digital key - a bit flaky?

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jmusaxman 
#1 ·
I’ve set up my iPhone and Apple Watch as digital keys, which is a feature I love for nipping out without having to take my keys.

I’ve noticed that the function is a bit intermittent - the usual way it works is as I approach the car it unlocks, i get in, the screen says “hello andy” and off we go.

But I’ve noticed that sometimes I need to touch the door release with my phone (haven’t tried with my watch on its own), which opens the car. Then when I turn it on it says “key not present” - then when i put my phone in the charging dock thing it starts up and all is well.
I think this happens mainly if I’ve not driven the car for a day or so, so I’m wondering if there’s a security timing thing happening or whether it is just a bit flaky?
Has anyone else using digital keys experienced this?

thanks

#3 ·
Interestingly I have now experienced exactly what you said. The 'passive entry' function was turned off in my wallet, and I had to reboot to get it back on. But it doesn't appear to be working as I approach the car any longer.

I just got myself a spare tracker tag so I could use it without standard keys but I'm now wondering whether it is a bit too flaky to rely on

#8 ·
I am having the same exact issue on my BMW IX 50. I have noticed that if the car sits idle too long (24 hours) it does not unlock when I approach the car. However, like you, if I put my hand on the handle and pull a few times it will open. Just curious, I also notice that this issues seems to also correspond to the 3d view not working. Usually the 3d view on the BMW app worked perfectly, however, I have noticed also that the when the car sits idle for about a day,,both of these features stopped working. Its like a connection issue or something....Im going to call BMW today about it,,,I will keep you posted

#10 ·
I am having the same exact issue on my BMW IX 50. I have noticed that if the car sits idle too long (24 hours) it does not unlock when I approach the car. However, like you, if I put my hand on the handle and pull a few times it will open. Just curious, I also notice that this issues seems to also correspond to the 3d view not working. Usually the 3d view on the BMW app worked perfectly, however, I have noticed also that the when the car sits idle for about a day,,both of these features stopped working. Its like a connection issue or something....Ima
Could it be a energy saving tool? After 24h not active, some sensors go down?
Could it be a energy saving tool? After 24h not active, some sensors go down?
Im on with BMW genius now and they think that the car is going into deep sleep mode too soon.

#12 ·
Slightly different nit to pick with the digital key. Once my service advisor and I got the key programmed, it was constantly telling me the next time a physical key was used, the digital key would be deleted. Sure enough, when I used my physical key with phone in hand, the digital key was deleted. It was a neat idea, but i think the key card in my wallet will be the backup to my physical key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.