BMW iX Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BMW annnounced that the iX supports DC fast charging at up to 200 kW.

The Porsche Taycan can charge at 270kW and newer Teslas will charge at 250kW at the latest Tesla superchargers being rolled out.

Kia's upcoming EV crossover is supposed to support at least 250kW charging rate.

The Lucid Air can charge at more than 300kW. Presumably, the upcoming Lucid Gravity SUV/crossover will also charge at more than 300kW.

I don't want to buy fast charging tech that is already outdated from the moment the BMW iX is launched. Hopefully BMW is listening and makes changes as required.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd be happy on a 150kW charger at 40p/kwh 250kW at 70p/kwh to save a few minutes
I'm retired so the extra 5-10 minutes not a concern for me or longer on a 50kW

What is misleading is home charging at 11kW this is not going to happen for 99.9% of UK homes where it will be 7kW, so drive home with a low battery and its going to be mid morning next day before its charged.

Where as in Germany houses have 3 phase so 11kW possible

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd be happy on a 150kW charger at 40p/kwh 250kW at 70p/kwh to save a few minutes
I'm retired so the extra 5-10 minutes not a concern for me or longer on a 50kW

What is misleading is home charging at 11kW this is not going to happen for 99.9% of UK homes where it will be 7kW, so drive home with a low battery and its going to be mid morning next day before its charged.

Where as in Germany houses have 3 phase so 11kW possible
Volkswagen just started a 22kW DC Wallbox pilot project in Germany.
@ICS_UK what is the public charging station network like near you?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Volkswagen just started a 22kW DC Wallbox pilot project in Germany.
@ICS_UK what is the public charging station network like near you?
I live in Cornwall local 50kW CCS chargers thin on the ground but it is not a problem for my i3S I can drive all over Cornwall and back on a single charge. I've used the local one to me 5 miles from me when returning home with 6 miles of range left 5 miles to home. Trvelling up country more of a problem I can make Bristol, but along side the 6 Tesla chargers there is just one Ecotricity 1 output unit.
I've travelled as far as mid Wales with no range anxiety it's just not the car for long journeys hence the dramatic upgrade I previously had a 335d Touring for long journeys.

There is a 4 x 350kW station at the bottom of the M5 J28 which means for me I could drive the iX to London and back to this charge point for a top up for the last 60 miles and with 4 chargers pretty sure one would be serviceable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts