BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come on then.. lets have your stories. Me first? Go on then...

1) Every Electrify America location I have been to (about 5 so far in the Bay Area) has AT LEAST one not working. Last night, the misfortune of going to San Leandro and every. single. one. was out of order.

2) Going to EVGo (and having to pay, oh the ignominy).. and its much quicker 350kw charger (99pc of Electrify America is 150kw or less..) was unfortunately expensive as I dont have a membership. But it was quick for a 30 dollar fill up (which was only around 35% added).

- Opposite the EVGos solitary(ish) three chargers was..... a bank of TWELVE Tesla superchargers. All of them, at 11pm, full. With people stacking up.

Observations, Tesla, like I had previously, people dont feck around with an app, and then the charger, then paying (or free for the appalling Electrify America company) no - they just reverse up - plug in and thats it.

Except that the chargers are almost always much faster than what the myriad competing sh1t show of non-Tesla charger companies provide - and most importantly..

They are usually working. 3rd party ones arent.

AND....

Theres more of them. A lot more. Which they will need of course because there are eleventy billion more Teslas than any other brand out there - I would say I see almost an 1/8th of all cars in the Bay Area are now electric from what I see. Every like 8th or tenth one. Sometimes its mostly that, but all the Kias, early Leaves, everything. Its great.

EXCEPT IT 'TISNT......
Because most people dont live in stand alone homes, but flats, like the UK. So they need public infra. Which is non existant more or less in the UK - and certainly is not the case in the US - at least in CA.

Commifornia leads the way - but is now a victim of its own success - massive wait times for any charger, even Tesla ones now that have multiple chargers - and they build adequate infra. The 3rd party alternatives are...
NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE -
One cannot rely solely on 3rd party commercial capitalist process to make the switch if the money and incentives arent there.
The IRA is a step in the right direction.

But the UX, the whole experience of owning a battery car, even in as well served a battery charging infra as Commiefornia, is still not enough, not even remotely enough.

The poor lass on the EA charger company phone trying to get me to disconnect the cable (it wouldnt) as for the umpteenth time she tried to reset the broken EA chargers (all of them) - and listen to me freezing my ass off fecking around with the whole sh1tshow of it all... bless her. Front line customer service.

TLDR, not ready for prime time. Thankfully I have solar and so can offset charging cheaply at home. But seriously, its enough to stick in your craw. Some chargers are not much cheaper than how much petrol is here.

Sort it out, industry, its not acceptable or fit for purpose. I dont want to have to go back to Tesla. Please.. Seriously.

here endeth the rant.. lol

· Registered
BMW iX50
26 Posts
I've been to about a dozen EA chargers from MA to VA. One station 2 out of 10 not working and another 1 out of 4 not working All decent charging speeds starting above 100kW at the 150kW station and over 150kW at the 350kW charging station. I did use one Chargepoint station that gave me 75kW out of 125kW which was a little slow but it was free. My previous vehicle was 2014 model S so the charging speed was much slower than the IX (around 80kw) and only got 250 range max. Overall, I was satisfied with the experience with the EA chargers especially with all the horror stories I've been reading and after being spoiled with the Tesla Superchargers.

· Registered
42 Posts
Like I've mentioned in previous posts on this and other forums, EA is terrible, but it's free for 2 years so it's hard to complain. I've had over 280 charges at EA in the last 5 months (based on my BMW app charging history) and about 20% were failed/no-connect/0kW, 20% were low-speed/capped at 30-50kW at 150-350kW chargers, and 50% were "normal" averaging 90-110kW per charge going up to 200kW speeds. Between the failed charges, less-than-full-speed-charges, and the lineups for chargers, it's increasingly frustrating, but I will deal with it as it's "free" for now.

Tesla fanboys may have their "infrastructure," but a lot of my buddies who are Tesla guys constantly complain about "mile-long" lines at the superchargers on major corridors on weekends/holidays. Honestly, I don't really care about them, besides the Teslas overflowing to non-Tesla chargers like EA/EVgo/Chargepoint etc and taking up the already overloaded non-Tesla charging infrastructure.

I understand you're "supposed to charge at home" and use EA chargers for road trips. Well, I do road trips every 1-2 weeks (LA-Vegas etc) and I did a 4700 mile winter road trip to Whistler/Banff last month in the iX (it was brutal) so I do really need EA to be good. Well, it isn't. But we just have to deal with it since it's free.

· Registered
262 Posts
Weren't the early S cars supposed to get 'lifetime free charging' ? We don't get anything where I live, but that might've swayed me towards an Elonmobil though...
The vintage cars w/ free supercharging have had their charging rates capped by Tesla to what is effectively 70 kW. One might hit 115 kW for a few brief minutes if the car is close to 0% SOC, but it's only for show and the number quickly drops. Unfortunately, the "free supercharging for life" did not include any minimum guaranteed supercharging rate and there is literally nothing in writing from Tesla regarding this perk other than what it once said on its web site.

TESLA IS A SHADY COMPANY.

· Registered
42 Posts
It is a fact that The Elon has a rather loose interpretation of facts. He and his Twitter claim to be a source of truth, but I am unable to find a dictionary that accurately describe the kind of truth he claims to be the source of.

· Registered
32 Posts
These invoices sent to me by email from EA today.

Big difference using same charging station.
Only me charging in am in afternoon 3 others charging.
I think EV chargers stations can not maintain at least minum 140 kw charging rate
when more than one charger being used at site.
This is not a BMW app problem, but a EV app problem.

Yesterday charge in am is shown.

Plan: 2022 BMW iX 30-minute Charging

Charging pricing: $0.43/kWh (pre-tax)

Charging time: 00:30:38

Charging cost: $24.50

Idling: $0.00 ($0.00/min)

Paid idle time: 00:00

Grace period: 00:00 min

End state of charge: 67%

Total energy delivered: 57.221 kWh

yesterday charge in pm shown.

Plan: 2022 BMW iX 30-minute Charging

Charging pricing: $0.43/kWh (pre-tax)

Charging time: 00:30:45

Charging cost: $17.63

Idling: $0.00 ($0.00/min)

Paid idle time: 00:00

Grace period: 00:00 min

End state of charge: 68%

Total energy delivered: 41.334 kWh

57.221 - 41.334 = 15.887

15.887 / 41.334 x 100 = 38.43 %

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's genuinely appalling that their systems cannot maximize charge. I hear from other brand owners the same issue with these chargers. Whereas Tesla consistently get higher rates of speed than EA. I think a complaint to the BBB about the unacceptable number of broken chargers, slow speeds and poor number of (waiting in line) chargers at locations.

· Registered
32 Posts
Explains EV charging app and why I had different charges for 30 minute charge.

"Electrify America explains that thanks to new software technology within its Balanced chargers, the system can monitor each EV’s charging capabilities and current energy demand, then relay that data back to the shared power cabinet. In turn, the cabinet uses sensor/meter data to evenly allocate power between both EVs as the demand of each fluctuates.

150 kW is the standard power level for Balanced charging, but since each charger will be able to deliver up to 350 kW, there’s room for another EV to gather at least the same amount of power, if not more. For example, if one EV plugs into a Balanced EA charger and can only handle power up to 150 kW, that’s the rate it’s going to get."

· Registered
144 Posts
Come on then.. lets have your stories. Me first? Go on then...

1) Every Electrify America location I have been to (about 5 so far in the Bay Area) has AT LEAST one not working. Last night, the misfortune of going to San Leandro and every. single. one. was out of order.

2) Going to EVGo (and having to pay, oh the ignominy).. and its much quicker 350kw charger (99pc of Electrify America is 150kw or less..) was unfortunately expensive as I dont have a membership. But it was quick for a 30 dollar fill up (which was only around 35% added).

- Opposite the EVGos solitary(ish) three chargers was..... a bank of TWELVE Tesla superchargers. All of them, at 11pm, full. With people stacking up.

Observations, Tesla, like I had previously, people dont feck around with an app, and then the charger, then paying (or free for the appalling Electrify America company) no - they just reverse up - plug in and thats it.

Except that the chargers are almost always much faster than what the myriad competing sh1t show of non-Tesla charger companies provide - and most importantly..

They are usually working. 3rd party ones arent.

AND....

Theres more of them. A lot more. Which they will need of course because there are eleventy billion more Teslas than any other brand out there - I would say I see almost an 1/8th of all cars in the Bay Area are now electric from what I see. Every like 8th or tenth one. Sometimes its mostly that, but all the Kias, early Leaves, everything. Its great.

EXCEPT IT 'TISNT......
Because most people dont live in stand alone homes, but flats, like the UK. So they need public infra. Which is non existant more or less in the UK - and certainly is not the case in the US - at least in CA.

Commifornia leads the way - but is now a victim of its own success - massive wait times for any charger, even Tesla ones now that have multiple chargers - and they build adequate infra. The 3rd party alternatives are...
NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE -
One cannot rely solely on 3rd party commercial capitalist process to make the switch if the money and incentives arent there.
The IRA is a step in the right direction.

But the UX, the whole experience of owning a battery car, even in as well served a battery charging infra as Commiefornia, is still not enough, not even remotely enough.

The poor lass on the EA charger company phone trying to get me to disconnect the cable (it wouldnt) as for the umpteenth time she tried to reset the broken EA chargers (all of them) - and listen to me freezing my ass off fecking around with the whole sh1tshow of it all... bless her. Front line customer service.

TLDR, not ready for prime time. Thankfully I have solar and so can offset charging cheaply at home. But seriously, its enough to stick in your craw. Some chargers are not much cheaper than how much petrol is here.

Sort it out, industry, its not acceptable or fit for purpose. I dont want to have to go back to Tesla. Please.. Seriously.

here endeth the rant.. lol
I'm a little amused you're angry at private industry / capitalism and how it's failed you here...while also complaining about "Commifornia".

Gonna have to pick one, do you want private industry to fix this or government assistance?

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm a little amused you're angry at private industry / capitalism and how it's failed you here...while also complaining about "Commifornia".

Gonna have to pick one, do you want private industry to fix this or government assistance?
Like all the best outcomes, a mix of both or whatever it takes to have a superior consumer experience

I have to say though, what's so hard to see the difference between a legislation mandated compliance offering from the Feds (dieselgate reparations in the form of the EA Volkswagen paid for company) and a pure play Tesla commercial Supercharger network? There are obvious differences and negatives and positives on many levels. Surely both strategies would be better together, and the IRA is at least the beginning of driving that away from the FUD toe dragging of the incumbent energy industries for the EV sector

1 - 14 of 14 Posts