BMW iX Forums banner

"High Voltage Battery" Safety Recall: Our Vehicle Exchange Experience

13K views 71 replies 12 participants last post by  Ali.nc.iX 
#1 ·
My husband and I pre-ordered two 2022 BMW iX xDrive50's on 8/18/2021. Mine was delivered on 6/3/2022. I simply love my iX50 and make excuses just to drive her. My husband excepted delivery of his iX50 on 6/30/2022. He felt the same way about his iX50 until 7/22/2022, when he received both an email and voice message from BMW NA, telling him not to drive the vehicle, charge the vehicle, and to remove the vehicle from all structures. His VIN NO. was a part of the "High Voltage Battery"Safety Recall. After only three weeks of ownership, BMW Roadside Assistance came to our home and removed the vehicle and returned it via flatbed truck to our dealership. The defective vehicle has not moved from where it was towed since 7/22/2022. We were told that the vehicle could not be moved inside the dealership, for safety reasons (Possible "Thermal Event"). The BMW NA representative who notified us about the recall said that she would call us weekly about the "remedy" for the recall. I have watched every YouTube video on the manufacturing of my iX50 at the Dingolfing Plant in Germany. I do not see how the "remedy" can be repaired in the US. If my iX50 was a part of the safety recall, I would not feel safe driving the vehicle unless I knew that it was repaired by trained technicians, like the trained technicians who built the vehicle in the first place. The iX50 averages a price tag of 100K with $995 for shipping, if BMW is committed to customer care, why not transport all 80+ defective vehicles to the Port of Baltimore and send them back via carrier to Dingolfing for the repairs? There is no doubt in my mind that there is enough profit margin in the MSRP to cover the cost. I have owned two BMW X5's, that were "assembled" in Spartanburg, SC, but the engines and transmissions came from Germany. After the second week, of hearing that there was no "remedy," I sent letters to BMW of Catonsville and to BMW NA Customers Relations, via certified USPS mail, notifying them that we were requesting a replacement vehicle for the iX50. Therefore, a BuyBack was requested. Most importantly, according to the State of MD, the defective iX50 now meets the criteria for the "Lemon" Law. On 8/9/2022 I also sent an email and called our BMW NA customer care representative and gave her the update. Our replacement vehicle is a 2023 BMW X5 M50i and it was ordered on 8/8/2022. I emailed our dealership's Financial advisor, on August 25, 2022 regarding the Buyback process. I received no response. Our M50i went into production the week of 9/5/2022. According to our BMW Garage app the M50i was dispatched from the factory on 9/8/2022. I emailed both our salesman and the financial advisor updates on the production of the replacement vehicle. On 9/9/2022 I emailed the Sales Manager informing him that I was having communication issues with the financial advisor regarding the BuyBack processing. I received a response from the General Manager's office stating that someone would respond to my inquiry. At 11:30 am, my husband informed me that the BMW Garage App now showed that the vehicle had been delivered to the dealership. I called my salesman who said that one carrier had been at the dealership, and he did not see our vehicle. He told me that he would check this all out and call me right back. A second carrier did come in and our vehicle had arrived at the dealership.
I finally received a call back from the Financial Advisor who informed me that the BuyBack process involves the General manager, BMW NA and BMW Financial. By now, it was late Friday afternoon, I was told that a representative from BMW NA would reach out to us on Monday to complete the BuyBack process. I also spoke with our salesman who said that the dealership wants to make my husband "whole" again. But if that were true, the BuyBack and the purchase of the M50i would have been coordinated. Since the BuyBack has to involve decision making by the dealership, BMW NA, and BMW Financial Services, it is clear to me that it is all about making sure that the dealership is being made "whole" after accepting a Phytonic Blue "Lemon" from BMW Corporate in Germany. I feel like my husband's substantial funds are held hostage until the BMW "Triumvirate" decides who gets paid first. Proactively, I submitted a detailed email to our BMW NA representative yesterday. I plan to reach out to her via telephone on Monday, 9/12/2022. This is our journey so far. I hope that it is found to be helpful to the other customers affected by the "High Voltage Battery" Safety Recall. LET THE BUYER BEWARE!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
HI, I read your story. I actually have an IX 50 (received it April 5th). So far, no issues. However, I am in the process of Lemon Law buyback with my 2021 BMW x3 PHEV. My process started in Feb of this year and has not closed yet. BMW corporate atty has finally gotten the approval to buy back my car pursuant to the lemon law. I had no idea the process would take more than 7 months! At first the dealer was telling me the same thing, that they want to make me whole and take back the car, however, I really wasn't getting a "good deal". In the end, Its the corporate office (In NJ) that really handles this. I think the only thing I got in my favor is that I was literally one of the first people in the US to get the IX. The official release date was like March 20th and I had my car 10 days later. I had not even pre ordered or planned to get one, however, the dealership had a reservation for one of the execs, and they gave it to me with no MSRP add on. The issue with my x3 PHEV was also the battery. The dealership had my car in service for 6 months!! It has been such a pain of an experience. I wish you the best and hope yours goes smoother than ours

#3 ·
Thanks for your response. We iX owners are all in this together for the good, the bad and the ugly. Right? I love my iX50 and named her "Ava." I just finished talking with our BMW NA Customer Service representative who told me the real story about how the process works. A third-party will actually process the Buyback, which will take 4-6 weeks before we receive my husband's funds. In the meantime, my husband and I are moving monies around to pay for the 2023 BMW X5 M50i, which was delivered to the dealership on 9/9/2022. I am going to make sure that my husband has his new toy in a few days. He has named his vehicle the "Ninja."

#4 ·
I love my IX too. I didn't name it, but like you im always looking for an excuse to drive it. I feel like a kid that just got my drivers license. I try to explain this to my friends (that still drive old fashioned gas cars) and they don't get it. This is my first fully electric car. Last week I was traveling and needed to rent a gas powered car. Boy, you don't realize how outdated traditional cars seem once you have an electric one. Its like listening to music on cassette tapes vs digital music.

#5 ·
We are all set to pick up my husband's new 2023 BMW X5 M50i tomorrow morning. Ava i s my third BMW purchase, but my first EV. I love driving her just to get groceries that we don't really need. However, I have owned two X5's with M packages and I loved them also. I have never owned a V-8 vehicle, so this will be a fun experience. My husband test drove a 2022 X5 M50i and the performance at 110 mph put a wicked smile on his face. His birthday is next week so the replacement vehicle arrived just in time. Fluctuating gas prices aren't a real issue for us either, since we are both retired. We really have the best of both worlds in the garage. I like to think of the two Bimmers as Beauty and the Beast. 😇

#6 · (Edited)
Update:
On September 13, 2022, my husband accepted delivery of his 2023 BMW X5 M50i replacement vehicle. We are both overjoyed with the vehicle. Our customer care representative from BMW NA emailed us the Buy Back documents and my husband signed them and returned them this morning. The next step is a third-party representative of BMW NA will schedule an appointment to meet with us at our dealership, where we will sign the final documents, surrender the iX50 and receive our Buy Back check. BMW NA pays off our remaining loan to BMW Financial Services, refunds us our monies that were paid, and pays monies to our dealership as well. It is important to note, that the state excise tax that we paid when we purchased the defective vehicle is separate from the Buy Back monies. When the dealership submits an application for the new title for the replacement vehicle, they will also submit a form to MVA to refund the excise taxes that we paid for the defective vehicle on 6/30/2022. It really is a win-win for my husband. His M50i is faster and newer than my 2022 iX50 and I believe the M models hold their value better. We are relieved to be bringing this unfortunate event to an end. The fully loaded, carbon black M50i arrived just in time for my husband's Sept. 22, 2022 birthday. I hope that our story helps others.
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Plant Automotive carrying rack Grille

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car Grille
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Plant Automotive carrying rack Grille
Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

#8 · (Edited)
Harmon Kardon sound systems in the M50i and my iX50. 16 speakers is enough for us. He had Bang & Olufsen in his Audi A6 Prestige and felt it was not worth the money. We both love the M50i. The Tartufo leather interior is really good quality. Much improved over the Amido leather in his iX50. After his negative experience with his iX50, I'm not sure if he will venture back into the EV world for a while. I alone will be the EV pioneer.😇

#11 · (Edited)
Update: My husband and I met with the BMW NA transfer agent today at our dealership, to "surrender" his defective 2022 BMW iX xDrive 50. He received a refund check for his downpayment, which also included his July and August 2022 auto loan payments. The "High Voltage Battery" Safety Recall vehicle, now belongs to BMW NA. The MD Department of Motor Vehicles will send him a refund check for the excise taxes that he paid when he purchased the vehicle on 6/30/2022. I want to commend our dealership, BMW of Catonsville and BMW NA for their support during this very unfortunate automobile purchase experience. I love my "Ava" and my husband has a wide grin on his face every time he drives his "Ninja." Now that the Buy Back is over, we can focus on important things like traveling in 2023 again.

#13 ·
"Good to see BMW NA is working with affected owners to resolve this unending situation." I can only hope that the other affected owners come to realize that this is an "unending situation." After the second week of being told that there was "no remedy" and no definite plan, we made the Buy Back decision. The Replacement vehicle, the 2023 BMW X5 M50i, was ordered on August 8, 2022 and delivered to our dealership on Sept. 9, 2022. We couldn't be more satisfied with our decision. BMW NA notified us both by email and voice mail about the "High Voltage Battery" Safety Recall on July 22, 2022. Luckily, my 2022 BMW iX50 was not on the recall list. So we have both an ICE and EV vehicle in our garage. My husband has been made whole again financially, and I hope that the other affected owners will be made whole again also.

#17 ·
Thanks, this is great news for all customers affected by this very unfortunate safety recall. However, my husband remains well pleased with his decision. He and his 2023 M50i "Ninja" are a perfect match. I will be the EV "pioneer" in the family.

#29 ·
Hi,
They just took my IX 50 in Yesterday (as I just got the call). I took delivery of my car April 4th. I had assumed that I was safe from this recall considering I have had the car 7 months now. I was wrong. My dealership told me, as you stated, that they have remedy available. However, when I log into my connected drive account it still shows remedy NOT available. When I questioned them about this, they told me that their computers showed that parts were avail when meant that they could fix it. Im not sure if I should believe them. My fear is that they are now going to have my car for a few months. I was originally thinking of just ignoring the recall until they got a better handle on repair and parts and then drop it off, but my family pressured me just drop it off now.

#27 ·
My car is an i4 but I think it is the same recall. For the longest time, they had no remedy. Once they decided on the remedy (identify the cell, drop the battery, discharge the whole pack, remove the cell, replace the cell, put the whole pack back together, remount it, charge it, discharge it [drive it around], recharge it) they had to get parts, order those parts and and some special tooling, get a software upgrade and then schedule the fix so it has taken a couple of weeks since the remedy has been available for my VIN.

#36 ·
yes, I just checked it is the same recall number. Exactly. But my BMW app still says remedy not available. They did tell me they have a fix for it. They said it just took several months for it to happen. Just as you mentioned. One of the executives at the dealership had purchased his car several months ago and they told me it sat in service up until recently when they had a fix for it so I’m hoping mine goes quickly so frustrating

#44 ·
Thanks for posting. It is helpful. We only drove our IX50 for three weeks before the recall. We have received 2 payments and have a loaner, but have asked for a buyback and an expedited order for a new 2023. Our car is now a year old and we only drove it 3 weeks. They are saying that is impossible. I love the car otherwise I would just do the buyback and get another vehicle. Very frustrated. Oh yes, the parts just arrived finally but no one knows how to fix it at our dealership! That also is worrisome.

#45 ·
Since I last wrote to you, I have decided to do a "Buy Out." Since my iX50 has not been on the recall list, the only excuse that I have to want to sell it is that I am afraid to drive it! Replacement parts require 4-6 months to acquire from Germany, the sky lounge if damaged, no one knows how to repair it because the glass is a part of the entire roof. One body shop person told me that they will have to purchase 10k worth of equipment to even attempt to do the job. She said welding will be required. Owners who purchased their vehicles last spring are now getting high voltage batter recall letters, on other iX websites. Sharron, I am done. I have broken into my piggy bank and have acquired enough funds to pay off the vehicle and move on. I also love my Ava.:(

#50 ·
I did receive a call from BMW NA a week ago - October 29th. Drove it to the dealer and they gave me an X5 loaner, as I asked. Per dealer, BMW does not allow them to touch this car yet, so it was just sitting there for a week.
After multiple attempts to reach my BMWNA case manager, I found out that they are sending a $1550 check, and are planning to have a fix within this month. Buy Back is not on their plan any longer, as fix is available. Well - we’ll see. 23 more days before the “Lemon Law” rule

#51 ·
I did receive a call from BMW NA a week ago - October 29th. Drove it to the dealer and they gave me an X5 loaner, as I asked. Per dealer, BMW does not allow them to touch this car yet, so it was just sitting there for a week.
After multiple attempts to reach my BMWNA case manager, I found out that they are sending a $1550 check, and are planning to have a fix within this month. Buy Back is not on their plan any longer, as fix is available. Well - we’ll see. 23 more days before the “Lemon Law” rule
That is so funny. I thought I wrote this post. I got the same information back and I told him 23 days and counting. I turned mine in the same exact day and at the same information you do. Let’s see if they can fix it in 30 days.

#52 ·
Could be the same case manager, or they probably have same taking points. I am quite frustrated that it took 5 calls to the dealership, plus 6-7 calls and 2 emails to the BMW NA for me to get this information. I would expect better customer service from the luxury car company. Any company, for that matter…

#53 ·
I agree 100%…This is not a 20K Honda…This was a very expensive car. I honest think they still dont have a fix for it but they are stringing us along in an effort not to file Lemon Law case. At day 14 Im sending in the paper work as that begins the start of process. Today (sat) I text message with my SA and he said that they have not been able to get authorization from BMW to start working on the car! It’s been sitting for 8 days in the hot S. FL sun! I thought this was supposed to be a priority?! I guess not. My case manager‘s name is Seema.

#56 ·
I just called BMW yesterday 11/7 and my corporate contact in NJ is still telling me there is No Remedy Avail. (as well as the BMW). My car was turned in Oct 27 and on Friday will be sitting for 14 days doing nothing. So I day 14 I can legally submit the Lemon Law notification requesting a replacement. From that point they have another 15 days to try to fix the car (which will be impossible) and then they will either refund or replace. Just curious to know if anybody knows if BMW will offer a replacement via Swap out (meaning that my existing financing stays completely in tack). I have a good rate and don't want to have to do this over again and get a higher rate

#59 ·
Thats great...Just refresh my memory...When did you originally drop it off? When did they start working on it?
Mine is sitting at the dealership for 2 weeks now and they said they can't do anything until BMW gives them authorization. So in two weeks, nothing has been done

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.