BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wondering about major differences between BMW iX and Mercedes EQS SUV. Sat and test drove iX 50 and EQS 450 4matic (~330 hp model). To me, the iX and 450 felt very similar in interior quality. The Merc has lots of ambient lighting which looks pretty cool, but the ipad screen in the center doesn’t look as nice as the BMW’s curved display. The iX starts 20k less, and my spec is about 100k fully loaded, and it seems to me that this is a much better value compared to EQS starting at 105k for base model with no options and less hp (slightly worse interior quality comparing BMW Amido leather to EQS base leather). However, the EQS 580 comes with similar hp to iX 50 and the hyperscreen, which I am sure is going to be much nicer than the base vertical ipad in the 450. However, a base 580 is almost 130k, and still has less features than loaded iX 50 at 100k. Driving both iX 50 and EQS 450, both were extremely smooth and comfortable, couldn’t tell difference in suspension and road noise (maybe Benz is slightly quieter?). BMW drove and handled better for sure. Technology wise both seem similar, maybe upper hand to BMW for providing more features at lower cost. In terms of range I don’t think they are very different, both over 300 (BMW probably slightly more). Overall, wondering if there is really any benefit to EQS SUV over iX other than 3rd row, which I am not really looking for. To me seems the iX 50 is better than EQS 450 in pretty much every way, and is about equal to 580 (better driving dynamics, interior almost the same level) but for much less price. Hoping for anyone’s thoughts, especially those who tried both. Thank you.

· Registered
61 Posts
TBH there's not enough data on the EQS right now and I'd be more interested in the EQE SUV.
There's been some murmerings of no heat pump yet in the EQS which seems incredulous, but will be fitted to the EQE.

For me, I think i prefer the opulence of the Mercedes interior to that of the spartan IX, but then again I could be biased as I currently have an E300DE P+ Estate (Diesel PHEV) and that has a fabulous interior with buttons galore and no touch screen, 600 Mile Range, great performance and 50Mpg - how I'm going to miss her when the M60 arrives - but have to move with the times to avoid the dreaded BIK !

· Registered
BMW's i4 M50, X3 G01, 640 F13
51 Posts
Good points on your comparison review thank you The newly announced EQE SUV starts at a lower price than the EQS and should be more comparable to the iX. The EQS has a 7 seat option that the iX lacks for example.

· Registered
67 Posts
I was considering EQE suv too but no launch date or concrete pricing info. I also wonder if all the ambient lighting isn’t a bit vulgar like a las vegas fruit machine or strip club. On the plus side I think it’s better looking than the IX!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replies. Saw EQE Suv as well, but assuming it starts similarly priced to iX, seems like you get quite a bit less for your money. Less horsepower, range (smaller battery), interior (base doesn’t have hyperscreen), and driving dynamics. In order to match the iX in all these things, you would need to get the version of the EQE SUV with more horsepower and presumably the hyperscreen for about 10k more (And then still would need to pay another 5-15k for options). Then again, it may have a worse driving dynamic overall, and technology and space would be the same, although it will cost likely above what a loaded iX 50 does, while most other things (comfort, tech, charging speed, etc.) would be the same. Overall I don’t really think anything luxury EV coming out in the next few years really touches the iX in terms of value, comfort, driving, interior, technology, space, range, etc.

· Registered
1 Posts
The BMW iX and the Mercedes EQS are both luxury electric SUVs, but there are some notable differences between the two vehicles.

Design: The BMW iX has a more futuristic, angular design, while the Mercedes EQS has a more classic, streamlined look.

Powertrain: The BMW iX is available with a single electric powertrain option that has a total output of 500 horsepower and can accelerate from 0-60 mph in under 5 seconds. The Mercedes EQS has a dual-motor powertrain option that offers up to 516 horsepower and can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 4.1 seconds.

Range: The BMW iX has a range of up to 373 miles on a single charge, while the Mercedes EQS has a range of up to 470 miles.

Interior: The Mercedes EQS has a larger and more spacious interior than the BMW iX, and it comes with a unique MBUX Hyperscreen, a massive 56-inch wide touchscreen that spans the entire width of the dashboard.

Features: The BMW iX comes with a host of advanced driver assistance systems, such as a lane departure warning, automatic emergency braking, and a rear-view camera. The Mercedes EQS also has a wide range of advanced driver assistance features, including a radar-based system that can detect and alert the driver to potential collisions.

Both vehicles are luxury electric SUV that offers high-end features, but the BMW iX is a bit more sporty and the Mercedes EQS has more range, more interior space, and a more advanced infotainment system.

Price: The BMW iX has a starting price of around $83,000, while the Mercedes EQS has a starting price of around $100,000.

Suspension: The BMW iX features a rear-wheel-drive and optional all-wheel-drive system with a double-wishbone front suspension and a five-link rear suspension, which is designed to provide a balance of comfort and sportiness. The Mercedes EQS, on the other hand, comes standard with an all-wheel drive system and an air suspension that promises a smooth ride and excellent handling.

Battery: The BMW iX features a 120 kWh battery pack that can be charged to 80% in 38 minutes using a fast charger. The Mercedes EQS features a 107.8 kWh battery pack that can be charged to 80% in 32 minutes using a fast charger.

· Registered
51 Posts
Actually the iX only comes with all wheel drive (xdrive 40, 50 and M60) and Mercedes has rear wheel a drive option on the EQS Suv 450+ model (as well as The EQE Suv 350+)

The iX also has air suspension as an option (standard on M60 and in some markets also in the 50).

· Registered
262 Posts
The BMW iX and the Mercedes EQS are both luxury electric SUVs, but there are some notable differences between the two vehicles...
Your post reads like it came straight from a Mercedes PR Dept. meeting :p Also, BMW is #3 in reliability according to JD Power & Assoc. while Mercedes is #24.

Here are the real specifications:

EQS 450+ SUV: $104,400 / 6.5 sec 0-60 / 305 mi range EPA
EQS 450 4Matic SUV: $107,400 / 5.8 sec 0-60 / 285 mi range EPA
EQS 580 4Matic SUV: $125,950 / 4.5 sec 0-60 / 285 mi range EPA

As you can see, the BMW iX is superior in every metric: Price, Acceleration, and Range. Price-to-Performance ratio of the BMW iX is far superior to the EQS. To get even close to the $84k iX in terms of performance one must opt for the EQS 580 4Matic at $125k + options and get 40 miles less range.

Battery size on IX50/M60 is also 111 not 120kWH.
Usable capacity, depending on where you check, is between 106 kW and 109 kW.

· Registered
42 Posts
From someone who has currently 3 Benzes, and has now jumped ship.
Irrespective of design choices, 50% of your vehicle is manufacturer, main agent and dealer support (and I suspect with the current 'software cars' it's even more important). And I can state unequivocally : Benz support is dismal.

My 2018 GLS has received exactly one software update since new : in 2019. On the newer vehicles Benz refuses to support Android Auto widescreen : you're stuck with 4:3 on your expensive widescreen option.
I have a warning on my multifunction display : the dealer can see me in 2 weeks, and I have to leave the car for a whole day.
The Benz app started sending me 'low coolant' warnings. After topping up the coolant the warning returned a few weeks later. Another day in the workshop yielded nothing. A few weeks later the warning was back. I asked for a pressure test of the system. I had to book in the car for a day, and was charged 400 Euro because 'they found no problem'. When the warning returned I replaced the 10 Euro cap on the expansion tank. The problem hasn't returned. This car was under warranty.
I was invited as a 'guest of honor' when the dealer opened its new megalomanic 3 story showroom. SWMBO and I went to look over the EQS. I had to go park at a nearby trucking company's gravel lot between the trucks because they 'had no available parking spaces left' and hoof it in the rain. When we finally made it there was no sales rep available to talk to us and unlock the display car.

I could go on for a bit. But Mercedes has seen my last Euro. And when the newest car is out of warranty on 5 months time we'll be doing the maintenance on that ourselves as well.

Good riddance to bad news. I haven't experienced the BMW attitude yet, but I guess we'll find out in a while.

Pete

· Registered
67 Posts
From someone who has currently 3 Benzes, and has now jumped ship.
Irrespective of design choices, 50% of your vehicle is manufacturer, main agent and dealer support (and I suspect with the current 'software cars' it's even more important). And I can state unequivocally : Benz support is dismal.

My 2018 GLS has received exactly one software update since new : in 2019. On the newer vehicles Benz refuses to support Android Auto widescreen : you're stuck with 4:3 on your expensive widescreen option.
I have a warning on my multifunction display : the dealer can see me in 2 weeks, and I have to leave the car for a whole day.
The Benz app started sending me 'low coolant' warnings. After topping up the coolant the warning returned a few weeks later. Another day in the workshop yielded nothing. A few weeks later the warning was back. I asked for a pressure test of the system. I had to book in the car for a day, and was charged 400 Euro because 'they found no problem'. When the warning returned I replaced the 10 Euro cap on the expansion tank. The problem hasn't returned. This car was under warranty.
I was invited as a 'guest of honor' when the dealer opened its new megalomanic 3 story showroom. SWMBO and I went to look over the EQS. I had to go park at a nearby trucking company's gravel lot between the trucks because they 'had no available parking spaces left' and hoof it in the rain. When we finally made it there was no sales rep available to talk to us and unlock the display car.

I could go on for a bit. But Mercedes has seen my last Euro. And when the newest car is out of warranty on 5 months time we'll be doing the maintenance on that ourselves as well.

Good riddance to bad news. I haven't experienced the BMW attitude yet, but I guess we'll find out in a while.

Pete
same old shit I’m afraid. Had terrible bmw experience test driving an IX in the U.K. turned up and car had 3% charge for pre booked test drive. Then nothing but hard sell in a dealership that had queues and awful coffee. Don’t expect anything better whilst dealers have a strong hand… that may change soon though.

· Registered
51 Posts
I had a very good experience on iX / i4 presentation and also test drove an iX with a very nice bmw sales person. Nice cocktail and good ambiance, also spent a lot of time inside the i4 for the 1st time, and which I was waiting a delivery at the time.

· Registered
7 Posts
Drove a 2019 s63 sedan for 3 years over 100k km and was ready to go electric with the 590 eqs. after the initial test drive i went back 2 more times once as a passenger as i asked the dealer to drive. ready to pay over $200K out the door here was my consideration for choosing the ix 50 over the 580 eqs - centre console - if you are over 6 ft 2 try sitting in the passenger seat, it is crammed and you cannot sit comfortably as your “leg spreading” seated position is limited by that console design. i felt extremely confined. driver side is a little better but still not comfortable. after you overcome the dazzle of the hyper screen you notice that it is damn right dangerous! huge distraction and the glare is downright dangerous. the wind noise is horrible in comparison to the ix. i am a driver, and the ix hands down is a drivers suv.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts