BMW iX Forums banner

How does the IX compare to a top of the line X7 or X5

10K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  viper 
#1 ·
I’m curious of people who own a ix’s opinion comparing it to those great cars.

#3 ·
I’m current owner of x5 and x7
iX just simply makes them feel like dinosaurs
Yet, driving experience vise, iX 50 is pretty much same as x5 tbh. Only noticeable difference is the instant acceleration you get from the electric motors. When cruising or putting the iX 50 in personal mode which is just eco mode on the X5, oh boy are they both BMW SAV

#4 ·
I’m current owner of x5 and x7
iX just simply makes them feel like dinosaurs
Yet, driving experience vise, iX 50 is pretty much same as x5 tbh. Only noticeable difference is the instant acceleration you get from the electric motors. When cruising or putting the iX 50 in personal mode which is just eco mode on the X5, oh boy are they both BMW SAV
Anything else glaringly different? I do feel like the ix isn’t as luxurious as those other cars kinda. Also, I talked to a Sa and he thought down the line we could add back in the passenger lumbar and hands free trunk opener.

#11 ·
I own a 2019 fully loaded X5M sport package not 8 cylinder but the 6 cylinder- I love the car but the IX is a different level of luxury; it is super quiet superfast much more roomy and feels so much lighter in so many ways yet it's glued to the road like it's on the rails so it's not really a fair comparison because of the engineering and design are completely different ... were fortunate enough to be able to have both- my wife has the iX I have the X5

#12 ·
Having owned an X5 and having just taken delivery of an iX 50 M Sport, a couple of things stand out. The comfort with the air suspension is superior to anything I have owned including my Bentley. It is otherworldly the way it just glides along. The acceleration is fantastic (of course!) and the way it sits down on the road (thanks to weight being down low no doubt) is very reassuring. Next, the rear seat is probably the most comfortable (not that I sit in the back often) the way it curves towards the door allows you to adjust your posture thus reducing strain on your body. The negatives as I see are the inability to turn off the AC. Ever. At all! The removal of almost all physical buttons is another. The complexity of iDrive 8 is another negative. Lastly, the cargo volume is quite small compared even to something like an ICE X3. The shape, however is great - it is basically a box.

#16 · (Edited)
Have an X7, which is my wife's car, I am getting my iX this fall. We "need" both, sometimes we need the extra seats, but generally when I go to work, I don't need all the extra seats and want a car for me which can still pick up the kids. I think the iX is a modern minimalist interior which is very comfortable without frills, and the X7 is plush in a more traditional frilly way. Neither are bad, just different.

* update *
Having now received my iX, my desire to drive my wife's X7 has dropped to near zero. I wonder why when I push the accelerator that it does not just go. The X7 is solid and relatively powerful, but it pales compared to the iX. It has really only been 10 days, but I cannot see going back to ICE, the iX fills 99.5% of my usage. If I travel long distance with the family, we probably take the X7 anyway for the space plus cargo with a family of 5. The interior of the iX is awesome, and I don't miss the buttons. I am still learning how I want to interact with the car and driving it, but every press of the accelerator puts a smile on my face. That to me is worth all the pennies (probably 2 tons of pennies) spent on this car.

#18 ·
Had and still have an X5 (G05) that were and are fully loaded - M Sport, Full Merino, B&W, Night Vision - basically every option that could be ordered then, and I much prefer driving (and sitting in) the iX50. "Luxury" is subjective, and to me means quality fit and finish (both have), quality materials (both have), and a quality drive (here the iX stands out). The X5 has features I wish were available in the iX - massage on both front seats for instance, or the Night Vision (alas unavailable on any BMW models now I think) - but considering world restrictions and what you now get on the iX (have an M60 on order), I don't see going back to the X5 as a favorite drive.

#19 ·
My lease on my X6-M50i was ending so I elected to go with the IX-M60 after only driving the model 50 twice. I have no regrets. Yes, there are some changes that I’ll have to adapt to and I lost the ability to open the rear hatch with my foot due to chip shortage but the handling has been great and I’ve taken 2 lengthy trips (200 and 400+ miles each way) and had no issues finding places to charge in route as there are several good apps to help plan trips. I’m getting ~330 miles of range using the economy mode. I get a bit less driving around town but here I mostly use the relax mode as a default. The weather is getting cooler now so I’ll have to see what the change in range will be but charging at home is certainly a plus.

#20 ·
I’ve owned a dozen+ BMWs and believe the iX50 - when properly and fully equipped - is the best one yet. The list includes an X5 and a 750iM. The key is to order four wheel steer and the Dynamic Handling Package. Oh - include the stupid-expensive but well worth it: B&W sound system. Can’t go wrong!!!

#21 ·
I am driving iX50 for over 6 months. This is a replacement for my hybrid X5 XDrive45E and is my 4th bimmer. ix50 is one of the best BMWs I drove in terms of performance and comfort. I didn't face any issue with long trips with this car, but one need to plan little ahead for charging. In some popular locations where EV population is more, you may have to wait at charging stations for your turn. Other than this small inconvenience, it is the best vehicle for both local office travel as well as long distance vacation travel. It is comparable to any X5 or X7 M sport vehicle. Don't forget to pickup extras like dynamic handling, massage seats, laser lights, B&W audio etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.