BMW iX Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2022 BMW iX
29 Posts
The picture shows the car is driving?

Stunts like these give ADAS a bad reputation. Remember all the bad press about Tesla Autopilot stunts? Someone was killed doing exactly this in a Tesla, using a laptop to watch movies, not the road.
Thank you, I'm home, everyone is alive. And I listened to the movie:)

·
Registered
2022 BMW iX
29 Posts
The X5 with iD7 requires coding to watch videos while moving, and I'm not aware right now that iD8 is even codeable for same, so I would guess unlikely....
On ix, you can't watch videos at all, which is strange. The only video I see in this car is a demonstration of the B&O audio system :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just thought I would give everyone an update on day 4 drive across the US. Things are going well on the trip. We are heading out of Kansas and into Colorado today.
I have a blog of the entire trip and each day so far. Some interesting lessons learn on day three which is included in the blog. The blog also now has photos from each day.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm driving my iX40 for about 4 months and drove 13000 km (8000 miles) with it. Best way to estimate is ABRP with setting of 210 kW/km (approx. 340 kWh/mile) as reference consumption @110km/h (68 miles/h).
  • Know that charging from 10% to 60% is going the fastest way. So better arriving with a battery at 10% instead of 30% and charge it to 60-65% then continuing to 80%. (See other post on charging experience)
  • Use the navigation of the BMW and set the charging station as a (next) stop. Car will know that you are going to charge and this result in higher charging speed (in my experience: arriving preconditioned = charging @ 148 kW; arriving not preconditioned = charging @ 57 kW)
I can assume that a lot of other considerations needs to be taken into account.
  • As you don't know the car yet consider a SOC% at charging point of 15%. Knowing that you can always go lower then the 10% sporadically. (Best case is to stay between 10-80% of SOC%)
  • Are their multiple high speed DC charging points in the area? If only one consider to identify a back-up some further on the route and foresee enough charging.
  • Look if charging stations are regular free. same remark.
Have a good trip! Enjoy the silence of the car.
Hope we can read the result of your experience soon.
How do you select which charging station you want to go on your road trip?

While using BMW map, I put my destination address (about 240 miles away) and it gives me only one charging option which is at the beginning of the drive. First 30 minutes of the drive then states I should be at destination with 18% of the charge left.
What if I want to charge in the middle somewhere. Maybe after 150 miles of drive. It should give you options all the chargers along the route. I know there are many charging options along the way, as I can see them on Electrify America App and PlugShare app. I might not be setting it right. Any suggestions how to use ABRP.

·
Registered
105 Posts
How do you select which charging station you want to go on your road trip?

While using BMW map, I put my destination address (about 240 miles away) and it gives me only one charging option which is at the beginning of the drive. First 30 minutes of the drive then states I should be at destination with 18% of the charge left.
What if I want to charge in the middle somewhere. Maybe after 150 miles of drive. It should give you options all the chargers along the route. I know there are many charging options along the way, as I can see them on Electrify America App and PlugShare app. I might not be setting it right. Any suggestions how to use ABRP.
There are two solutions but neither are automated.
1) add them individual in the car navigation as an "add waypoint". It takes some time, but at least you don't have to occupy during the trip and it looks to me the most sure as nothing is mature in this electrical world of charging.
2) Drive your way and if you come to the region of the charging point, add the charging station as destination to charge. As you are in the region, mostly the charging station will appear in the list of charging stations. By this way, you are gaining time but if it is not appearing, you are in trouble.

Hint: if searching for (fast) charging station, set a filter on DC-charging. The list will be much smaller.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are two solutions but neither are automated.
1) add them individual in the car navigation as an "add waypoint". It takes some time, but at least you don't have to occupy during the trip and it looks to me the most sure as nothing is mature in this electrical world of charging.
2) Drive your way and if you come to the region of the charging point, add the charging station as destination to charge. As you are in the region, mostly the charging station will appear in the list of charging stations. By this way, you are gaining time but if it is not appearing, you are in trouble.

Hint: if searching for (fast) charging station, set a filter on DC-charging. The list will be much smaller.
Useful info. Thanks.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts