BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I’d share a service call out I had to have today in case anyone else experiences the same.

The car did not unlock on walk up or by pressing the bit by the handle but unlocked with key fob and woke up fine. Got in the car and there was a yellow spanner icon and a message saying that there had been increased energy consumption when parked so some features like comfort access had been disabled. The message said if it continues call the service partner. Acknowledged the message but the car would not go into drive ready state. Everything else worked apart from that rather key function.

BMW sent a service engineer. He disconnected the 12v battery under the bonnet, counted to 30 and reconnected. Immediately everything worked again although the high voltage battery dropped 11%! He ran diagnostics and the error did not even show in the logs.

I think maybe I managed to glitch it when washing it at the weekend. Going in and out of unlock range and auto re-lock if door not opened etc meant it kept locking and unlocking as was washing it and the other car next to it. I was about to leave the key on the seat to stop it when it stopped cycling so I assumed it had been smart and paused itself from doing it…but now I think it glitched at that point.

So keep an eye on that or share if experienced same! Fix was easy but 12kWh battery drain in 36hrs could have been more problematic if it had been longer before I noticed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So keep an eye on that or share if experienced same! Fix was easy but 12kWh battery drain in 36hrs could have been more problematic if it had been longer before I noticed.
Ouch! 12kWh - I hope she was nice and toasty when you got in!

Seriously, that is a lot of power to go nowhere. I guess steady 333 watts which would be a decent computer running all the time - maybe it didn't shut down some system, but it is still a lot

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had this problem on my ICE X5. It turned out to be the heating function on one of the exterior door handles, basically causing a parasitic draw on the battery. If I let the car sit for 4-5 days the battery would be dead. I realize that is not the same thing, but this leads me to believe that something didn't shut down properly such as one of the many onboard computers in the car or something was left plugged into the 12V socket inside the car, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had this problem on my ICE X5. It turned out to be the heating function on one of the exterior door handles, basically causing a parasitic draw on the battery. If I let the car sit for 4-5 days the battery would be dead. I realize that is not the same thing, but this leads me to believe that something didn't shut down properly such as one of the many onboard computers in the car or something was left plugged into the 12V socket inside the car, etc.
Yes think you are both right. Something was “on”. Main issue was that the car couldn’t get itself out of the error message to go to drive ready state. So far so good though, no energy lost since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts