BMW iX Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2022 IX, F150 Lightning, Fisker Ocean orders
51 Posts
Mine had the safety system issue as well. It is a known software issue. They did a software update and all is good now. Less than an hour.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My wife was out of town for a week+, so her iX just went back to the dealer yesterday. They replaced the control module... and that did not fix the problems. They do not have a diagnosis yet and are keeping the vehicle for further testing.

Given that I have not seen any other reports of similar concerns, I am very worried that this particular iX is a lemon. I expected some issues, particularly with electronics, on a vehicle that is new in so many respects. But I did not sign up for this.
Trust me your iX is not the only BMW iX "Lemon". My husband's iX50 is a part of the "High Voltage Battery" Safety Recall. BMW NA notified us on 7/22/2022 both by email and voice messaging. I have posted our "journey"on this site previously. My iX50 was not a part of the recall. Apparently, only 80 or so vehicles have been affected. After BMW NA did not come up with a "remedy" after two weeks, I recommended to my husband that he order a replacement ICE vehicle. His fully loaded 2023 BMW X5 M50i goes into production on 9/12/2022. We pre-ordered both iX's on 8/18/2021. I received mine on 6/3/2022 and he received his on 6/30/22. He only owned his iX for 3 weeks and then had to return the vehicle to the dealership. After BMW NA has announced that no "remedy" had been found after 30 days, his beautiful Phytonic Blue iX50 met our state's definition of a "Lemon." I firmly believe that it would be in BMW's best interest to replace the vehicles, rather than find a "remedy." I am watching very closely at just how BMW NA resolves this issue for those customers who chose to wait for a "remedy," because I don't think one will be coming soon.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has had her iX for less than a week. When she picked it up from the dealer, the park assist functions weren't working (I wasn't there, so don't have details), so she was scheduled to take it to the dealer today so they could fix that (reloading some software, supposedly). Yesterday--the day before her service appointment--the radio and some electronics just stopped working. In addition to the radio going completely dead, my wife noticed the lane-keeping warnings were not working. She didn't drive long enough to determine what else had gone out. So dealer has had the car all day today, and just left a message that they need more time. No indication what the problem is. To say this is a major disappointment would be an understatement. Has anyone else had similar issues? And if so, were they fixed?
I bought my new IX in south Florida last August 28th. The genius was unable to program the safety features among orher functions. I was told to return the next day. For two consecutive days I returned to the Genius and they were unable to peogram the functions. I was asked to take the car to service. A month has passed and I am still waiting for my new car. My new IX is still in service and I have limited information on what is going on with the car. I am told they are waiting from BMW for a software upgrade. In summary, I was able to drive the car for one day and since then, I am still waiting to get my new IX back. Very disappointing and frustrating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has had her iX for less than a week. When she picked it up from the dealer, the park assist functions weren't working (I wasn't there, so don't have details), so she was scheduled to take it to the dealer today so they could fix that (reloading some software, supposedly). Yesterday--the day before her service appointment--the radio and some electronics just stopped working. In addition to the radio going completely dead, my wife noticed the lane-keeping warnings were not working. She didn't drive long enough to determine what else had gone out.

So dealer has had the car all day today, and just left a message that they need more time. No indication what the problem is.

To say this is a major disappointment would be an understatement. Has anyone else had similar issues? And if so, were they fixed?

·
Registered
BMW iX50
40 Posts
Let me add my tale of woe.
When I picked my iX up 3 weeks ago, the parking cameras didn’t work. They did a reset at the time, didn’t help. It was booked in for a service appointment last Tuesday, they thought they’d fixed it, it didn’t work. For a while, they thought it was ethernet cables between camera unit and main head unit. now they think they have to replace the main head unit (whatever that is) and are waiting for the part. There’s no date for the part due to chip shortages.

I have owned the car for 25 days, 7 of which it has spent at my dealership.
At least bmw uk have put me in a loan car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My iX 50's sat nav went haywire the first time a really needed it, showed me as driving across fields, when I got to my destination it indicated that I was 8 miles to the Northeast of where I actually was. On the media side of things, it changes radio stations without any input from myself, and even switches to the music on the memory stick on occasions. When I tried to drive it today it refused to move, and a message flagged up indicating a drivetrain failure, the car has covered 1485 miles. I hate this vehicle and have ordered a new X5 M Sport 45e which is due to arrive with the dealership tomorrow, I owned one of the very first of these models and never had a problem with it. I traded my X5 M Competition Ultimate for the iX 50, big mistake!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Trust me your iX is not the only BMW iX "Lemon". My husband's iX50 is a part of the "High Voltage Battery" Safety Recall. BMW NA notified us on 7/22/2022 both by email and voice messaging. I have posted our "journey"on this site previously. My iX50 was not a part of the recall. Apparently, only 80 or so vehicles have been affected. After BMW NA did not come up with a "remedy" after two weeks, I recommended to my husband that he order a replacement ICE vehicle. His fully loaded 2023 BMW X5 M50i goes into production on 9/12/2022. We pre-ordered both iX's on 8/18/2021. I received mine on 6/3/2022 and he received his on 6/30/22. He only owned his iX for 3 weeks and then had to return the vehicle to the dealership. After BMW NA has announced that no "remedy" had been found after 30 days, his beautiful Phytonic Blue iX50 met our state's definition of a "Lemon." I firmly believe that it would be in BMW's best interest to replace the vehicles, rather than find a "remedy." I am watching very closely at just how BMW NA resolves this issue for those customers who chose to wait for a "remedy," because I don't think one will be coming soon.
View attachment 2400 View attachment 2400
The fix is a battery replacement. Unfortunately, I would imagine few dealerships outside of Tesla are equipped to replace a 1,500+ lb battery pack that runs the length of the vehicle. There's also the time required to ship a new pack from Germany.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The fix is a battery replacement. Unfortunately, I would imagine few dealerships outside of Tesla are equipped to replace a 1,500+ lb battery pack that runs the length of the vehicle. There's also the time required to ship a new pack from Germany.
That is why my husband decided to initiate a Buy Back with BMW. He loves his 2023 X5 M50i and so do I. I love my iX50, but I am paranoid about being involved in any type of accident requiring replacement parts. I have been told that it takes 6 months or longer to receive the parts. The sky lounge repairs require special equipment for the dealership service departments to install. This is my first EV, I guess I didn't consider that this was going to be a BMW "pioneering" experience. I think my husband's "High Voltage Battery" Safety recall might turn out to be a gift in disguise.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That is why my husband decided to initiate a Buy Back with BMW. He loves his 2023 X5 M50i and so do I. I love my iX50, but I am paranoid about being involved in any type of accident requiring replacement parts. I have been told that it takes 6 months or longer to receive the parts. The sky lounge repairs require special equipment for the dealership service departments to install. This is my first EV, I guess I didn't consider that this was going to be a BMW "pioneering" experience. I think my husband's "High Voltage Battery" Safety recall might turn out to be a gift in disguise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dealer says the problem is a bad BCP module. (They have told me different things about what "BCP" stands for. As best I can tell, it is a "basic computing platform" - 2021 Bmw iX Control u.basic computing platform (BCP) - 61355A4B222 | BMW Northwest, Tacoma WA ). Message from the service department says the BCP "controls all the sensors on the body... and control over the lights blinkers everything that is not related to the engine." Appears to be a $1,500+ part, if not under warranty. No idea how much the labor would have been.

So, at less than 500 miles a central component of the many, many electronic systems on the vehicle failed. Hoping it's a one-off due to a bad part installed at the factory. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone else who experiences a similar issue.
My iX50 is in BMW dealer service centre now.
They said BCP control problem.
They have to order the parts from Germany.
It will take 3~4weeks.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts