BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Thank you for a great and very interesting forum! I am a new member and recently placed an order on a BMW IX xDrive50.

Did BMW in the end include the InnovizOne LiDAR in the ZGI Innovation package with 5AU Driving Assistance Professional? Or will it only be integrated in future IX versions like M60?

It’s appears like BMW planned include LiDAR in that package for all 2022 but I can not find any firm confirmations on that. Maybe someone here knows? Would be very nice if it had as it then would have the hardware to allow future support for level 3.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
BMW iX xDrive40
26 Posts
Hi,
Have not seen any indications about HW change compared to the current equipment. Lidar is as far as i seen quite a challenge to install in an "invisible" way and will most probably change the exterior of the car in some way.
There is a lot of buzz about level 3 and self driving but it doesn't seem to happen in the near future, unfortunately..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. So do I understand you correctly, it’s not in any of the 2022 IXs?

Hi,
Have not seen any indications about HW change compared to the current equipment. Lidar is as far as i seen quite a challenge to install in an "invisible" way and will most probably change the exterior of the car in some way.
There is a lot of buzz about level 3 and self driving but it doesn't seem to happen in the near future, unfortunately..

·
Registered
BMW iX xDrive40
26 Posts
No, non of the current avalable cars. As far as i know, BMW has not indicated the addon of lidar in IX at all this far. All there is is the conventional long and short distance radars that isnt enough for level 3. Its a shame, Volvo announce lidar on the upcoming XC90 Embla? in the end of 2022.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, non of the current avalable cars. As far as i know, BMW has not indicated the addon of lidar in IX at all this far. All there is is the conventional long and short distance radars that isnt enough for level 3. Its a shame, Volvo announce lidar on the upcoming XC90 Embla? in the end of 2022.
yes, believe Volvo will add it at launch. It appears BMW will as well for i7.

What got me hopeful was this article:

But agree with you, it is still early days for full automation but it’s starting to happen finally…

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cars with March 2022 production onwards can have 5DW Parking Assistant Professional. There is some debate as to whether cars produced before that date can be upgraded, but it doesn't sound like it. That implies new hardware in March 2022+ production.

Reactions: Scania

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cars with March 2022 production onwards can have 5DW Parking Assistant Professional. There is some debate as to whether cars produced before that date can be upgraded, but it doesn't sound like it. That implies new hardware in March 2022+ production.
Wonder if 5DN (P.A. Plus) can be updated to 5DW. It was not available before as you say and my car is now in production state since a couple of weeks back…

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wonder if 5DN (P.A. Plus) can be updated to 5DW. It was not available before as you say and my car is now in production state since a couple of weeks back…
The Parking Assistant Professional (5DW) is still not available as an option Sweden. Just tried to create a new order with it as option. Would imagine it’s software rather than hardware differences.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Parking Assistant Professional (5DW) is still not available as an option Sweden. Just tried to create a new order with it as option. Would imagine it’s software rather than hardware differences.
5DW is now standard here in NZ (from March 2022 production). I think someone on another thread enquired with BMW about upgrading from 5DN to 5DW and they said it will not be possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5DW is now standard here in NZ (from March 2022 production). I think someone on another thread enquired with BMW about upgrading from 5DN to 5DW and they said it will not be possible.
Ok, thanks. Will be interesting to see what it eventually comes with. Are there multiple production lines? I thought they only had one global production plant for IX in Dingolfing for the time being. Could of course have different specs anyway, it just feels like a very central component… Annoying if cut of date is later for Nordic deliveries…

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, thanks. Will be interesting to see what it eventually comes with. Are there multiple production lines? I thought they only had one global production plant for IX in Dingolfing for the time being. Could of course have different specs anyway, it just feels like a very central component… Annoying if cut of date is later for Nordic deliveries…
As with many options there is often “preparation” required, that might be hardware components or similar, then there is the option code being enabled (either at production or via later purchase). So it’ possible newer production cars have the preparation for 5DW even if 5DN is all that is enabled.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As with many options there is often “preparation” required, that might be hardware components or similar, then there is the option code being enabled (either at production or via later purchase). So it’ possible newer production cars have the preparation for 5DW even if 5DN is all that is enabled.
Understand, thanks JonoNZ. Noticed that M60 got 5DW as standard in Sweden. Website not updated for xDrive40/50 so not yet available as option. I have sent an email to the sales rep asking if he could add it for me. But if I understood him correctly when we last spoke, all is locked including software enabled features once it enters production.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is my understanding that the lidar is behind the smart grill and that it needs a software update to enable the L3 features. I've been tempted to take the front off, but not had the guts to do it as yet. This software update is due late 2022 but clear subject to a lot of factors.

BMW need to collect a lot of data before they can enable the device to it's capability. Therefore it is important to get them on the road and get the test data back from L2+ driving which is what I understand we are doing. Please don't enable the privacy settings as the data is required for the technology to move forward.

It is worth noting that I consider the L2+ in my i50 as being well ahead of the Tesla Model X with "Full Self Driving" that I swapped out of. It normally gets the speed limit right, slows down for most junctions and predictively regenerates power when you are about to need to slow. It is also very smooth between switching from human to machine driving when the situation doesn't allow it to act comfortably. Traffic lights are not enabled in the UK which is a shame, but I've seen it working in videos elsewhere.

L3 will no doubt require some kind of subscription to cover the fact the car will be on BMW's insurance policy when driven rather than your own.

·
Registered
BMW iX xDrive40
26 Posts
I'm sorry to say that the current equipment behind the grill isn't a LiDAR, its a conventional long range radar.
I agree that the current system is working well as level 2, but its quite far from level 3 unfortunately.
BMW has its own explanation about the different technology's that can be found here: Automotive sensors and driver assistance systems | BMW.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm sorry to say that the current equipment behind the grill isn't a LiDAR, its a conventional long range radar.
Thanks,
Have you taken the grille off, or you know from some other source?
I'm interested to know if there is a space for the lidar with prewiring, if the radar would swap out for it, or if it's only going to be possible in new cars once shipping.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks,
I'm interested to know if there is a space for the lidar with prewiring, if the radar would swap out for it, or if it's only going to be possible in new cars once shipping.
Read somewhere that the bonnet can be opened by pulling some strings from within, underneath, left of the steering wheel. Might affect warranty so maybe you shouldn’t try it out…

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any talk of BMW having level 3 is vastly premature. BMW is sending mixed signals and throwing out terms like "level 3" without offering any clear timeline or roadmap. We former Tesla owners are very familiar with C-suite hyperbole.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do feel quite cheated by the BMW marketing on this as one.
They show lots of fancy features, but they only apply if you add about £20k of options and then they delete the core things like
no massage for passengers
no in car wifi in UK
no lidar

11kw AC - on a £100k car when 22kw chargers are not too hard to find...
BUT throw in a second 3.6kW additional AC charger when 7kW would be nice for 32Amp blue plugs but is otherwise pretty damn useless in the UK

I do however love the car, so just need to buy another one with the full options once I know I'm getting two massage seats, wifi and lidar and thankfully you can now get a few percent off

·
Registered
BMW iX xDrive40
26 Posts
Thanks,
No, i have not taken the grill off, but i have identified the current HW with a diagnose program.
That it would be a swap, or that there is some kind of pre-wiring is to me very unlikely. The closest to any kind of upgrade would be a SW upgrade to park assistant professional that seem to use the current sensor setup.

Font Logo Brand Number Monochrome photography

Font Rectangle Electric blue Pattern Parallel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, i have not taken the grill off, but i have identified the current HW with a diagnose program.
That it would be a swap, or that there is some kind of pre-wiring is to me very unlikely. The closest to any kind of upgrade would be a SW upgrade to park assistant professional that seem to use the current sensor setup.

View attachment 1699

View attachment 1700
Thanks for sharing, I think you are right. I don’t like that BMW talk about potential future upgrades without being very clear about the HW recruitments. Especially when the price difference for e.g. P.A. plus and Pro are minor.

If you do find out more, please share.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts