BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've watched loads of iX reviews on YouTube and I'm surprised nobody's highlighted what the real purpose of the internal selfie-camera is.

Now OK, this is only my opinion, but I suspect it's for post-crash investigation in future.

Loads of people talk about the iX having the capability for level 3 autonomous driving, but it isn't fully live yet, or allowed in all markets. I understand one key difference between level 2 / 2.5 and 3 is that the liability in an accident shifts from the driver to the manufacturer.

So, if the iX goes level 3 in future with a software update, manufacturers will surely want to know how the driver is behaving just prior to an accident to see if they were still alert and ready to take over.

Enter the internal selfie-camera?

Anyone else have this thought, or is it just me?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the event of theft / alarm being set off, it records the interior (and exterior) and sends it to the myBMW app on your phone. There is a setting in the center console for this.
Yep, aware of that too. I still think that's just a convenient fringe benefit and the long term purpose is the above.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep, aware of that too. I still think that's just a convenient fringe benefit and the long term purpose is the above.
Could quite likely be…

the interior camera was added (by the configurator) when I selected the “parking plus” option that has the exterior 360 cameras, I too wasn’t sure why the interior camera was required as it plays no part in the parking manoeuvre, so you could be right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know, but given it's a requirement if you get either of the parking options, as noted above, I suspect it helps the car orientate itself and display the overhead view. Just a guess though.
The long-term purpose you describe makes sense for autonomous driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For Level 3 autonomy, the driver still needs to be awake/ and watching the road, ready to take over. The camera tracks the drivers eyes. So for example if the car stops on a motorway, it will only start moving again once it detects the driver is looking forward at the road ahead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's not the same camera. What you are talking about is the infrared sensors on the dash infront of the driver. The selfie cam is located higher up and looks down on the whole cabin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts