BMW iX Forums banner

iX factory hitch deal killer

15K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  02601_33859 
My next question: WHY haven't they rated the iX for towing in the US market? Certainly doing that is easier than EPA testing, which they do on all of their cars.

Telling customers they can't have something because they, as the manufacturer, chose to do less work is not a satisfying and cohesive response. I expect this from Tesla, not BMW.
I recently cancelled my order for an IX loaded with most options available. I need a BMW factory installed hitch to transport my $7,000 electric trike. It's frustrating to read the UK models have a retractable hitch. BMW posts that the UK IX is a great electric vehicle to tow over competitors. I was going to lease the iX and didn't want to add an aftermarket hitch that may affect the BMW warranty. Anyone else on the fence about the hitch situation to transport bikes?
I feel your pain. I enjoyed looking at the ix50 in a showroom before test drives were available. I asked about the availability of a hitch to transport bikes and a very light kayak carrying trailer and was given assurances that someone would develop an aftermarket solution. I then spoke with a different BMW dealer and they advised me the installation of an aftermarket hitch could void the warranty. I suppose connecting a wiring harness for trailer lights could give them cause to void a warranty particularly because it would tie into the electrical system.

I later returned to the first BMW dealer because a test drive option was available. I loved the experience of driving the ix50 but I'm not ready to plop down $$$$ for a car that won't carry bikes or haul a light kayak trailer. The Tesla X comes with a hitch, but I'm gravitating toward a reputable carmaker with car building experience.

BMW...fix the problem and gain a customers who need a hitch. Hurry, please!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.