BMW iX Forums banner

iX factory hitch deal killer

15K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  02601_33859 
I think it's a mistake by BMW, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets offered down the road. Unfortunately, it likely won't be available as a retrofit based on what I'm reading about how BMW does things.

I recently messaged BMW about the hitch option here in the US and I received the following back.

Thank you for contacting the BMW i Team. We appreciate your inquiry.

At this time, the BMW iX has not been rated for towing in the United States market. As such, the BMW iX does not have the option for a Tow Package at the time of production.

For compatible aftermarket accessories for BMW vehicles, please speak with the parts department at your authorized BMW center. They have the expertise and are eager to share their knowledge. Should you need to access a list of our authorized BMW centers, please visit our website at: www.bmwusa.com, and select “Dealer Locator.”

I hope this information is helpful. Thanks again for your inquiry.

For your convenience, BMW i Team members can be reached Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Eastern Time. Feel free to call us via the BMW iConcierge Hotline at 1-855-236-1025.
My next question: WHY haven't they rated the iX for towing in the US market? Certainly doing that is easier than EPA testing, which they do on all of their cars.

Telling customers they can't have something because they, as the manufacturer, chose to do less work is not a satisfying and cohesive response. I expect this from Tesla, not BMW.

I feel your pain. I enjoyed looking at the ix50 in a showroom before test drives were available. I asked about the availability of a hitch to transport bikes and a very light kayak carrying trailer and was given assurances that someone would develop an aftermarket solution. I then spoke with a different BMW dealer and they advised me the installation of an aftermarket hitch could void the warranty. I suppose connecting a wiring harness for trailer lights could give them cause to void a warranty particularly because it would tie into the electrical system.

I later returned to the first BMW dealer because a test drive option was available. I loved the experience of driving the ix50 but I'm not ready to plop down $$$$ for a car that won't carry bikes or haul a light kayak trailer. The Tesla X comes with a hitch, but I'm gravitating toward a reputable carmaker with car building experience.

BMW...fix the problem and gain a customers who need a hitch. Hurry, please!
I understand this may not be your preferred ethod, but have you considered a hatch-mounted solution to carry up to 4 bikes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.