BMW iX Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Per Stealth Hitch:

"We have an iX scheduled to come to our development facility the end if this month. Once that has happened we should have a hitch available in a matter of weeks.

Not sure of the exact timing, but I am thinking 4-6 weeks to go through Engineering, and then begin manufacturing. Hope to have it on the website for pre-orders approximately 2-3 weeks after the vehicle is at our facility for the development."

Per Stealth Hitch:

"We have an iX scheduled to come to our development facility the end if this month. Once that has happened we should have a hitch available in a matter of weeks.

Not sure of the exact timing, but I am thinking 4-6 weeks to go through Engineering, and then begin manufacturing. Hope to have it on the website for pre-orders approximately 2-3 weeks after the vehicle is at our facility for the development."
I was told something similar. I have a Stealth hitch on my 2015 X5 and it's great I use it for a Saris bike rack. However, when you back up, the "too close" warning beeps unless you turn that and the camera off. Annoying, but livable. But with the iX, there are many more sensors and cameras and I am wondering what problems a bike rack will cause. Obviously in Europe, that's addressed, but they won't here, I assume. Roof rack not an option for ebikes.

I was told something similar. I have a Stealth hitch on my 2015 X5 and it's great I use it for a Saris bike rack. However, when you back up, the "too close" warning beeps unless you turn that and the camera off. Annoying, but livable. But with the iX, there are many more sensors and cameras and I am wondering what problems a bike rack will cause. Obviously in Europe, that's addressed, but they won't here, I assume. Roof rack not an option for ebikes.
For clarity, do you get that warning even with the Stealth "retracted"? Or just when the rack is on? When I have my bike rack on my Tesla I get the same kind of warnings, even with the factory hitch. So at least seems no worse than what I'm used to!

For clarity, do you get that warning even with the Stealth "retracted"? Or just when the rack is on? When I have my bike rack on my Tesla I get the same kind of warnings, even with the factory hitch. So at least seems no worse than what I'm used to!
I get the beeping with the bike rack on, either with or without bikes. Stealth does not retract, but it has a hidden place to insert either a square receiver or a ball hitch. The square receiver does not trigger the beeping. I don't think the ball hitch does, either, but it's been a while since I used that. Good to know that it's not just a BMW issue. The Stealth hitch should be a good solution for bikes racks and available soon, but it will be interesting to see how the sensors react. I'll keep my 2" receiver and sell the 1 1.4" and the ball hitch with the X5. I'll also keep my BMW cargo box, although I will have to buy different rails than the ones I use on the X5. This group is very helpful, so thanks!

Tesla figured out a tow hitch from the get-go on the X. If Tesla could, I can't imagine BMW couldn't have also figured this out if they'd put their mind to it.
They have it figured out for non DOT countries. Not sure if extra certification / testing is required to satisfy our lovely DOT. The aftermarket can come to the rescue.

You’re assuming it’s a matter of how. And not how much. I assume for model x which was their only towing vehicle they had to do it for customer satisfaction. It may not make sense based on the ix sales figures to do it yet or at all. Look at all the other Evs that have hitch options outside the us but not in the us. Model 3 even. It’s not uncommon. Therefore it has to be a regulation cost effort issue.

A hitch will be available at the end of the September 2022. My car was a donor vehicle that helped StealthHitches design one.

Please see my post about it.

While it is not the "OEM BMW" it is an amazing product, and I will be using it exactly to do what the original poster wanted - carry my eclectic mountain bike.

I was over the moon when I saw a review for the ix50 that said the retractable hitch came standard, but then I found out that was not the case for Australia bound models. My dealer said bmw were in the process of trying to get approval for the hitch to be installed for Australian models but has not yet been approved, so it is a regulation thing for us. It really sucks. Hopefully, a solution comes available soon.

I recently cancelled my order for an IX loaded with most options available. I need a BMW factory installed hitch to transport my $7,000 electric trike. It's frustrating to read the UK models have a retractable hitch. BMW posts that the UK IX is a great electric vehicle to tow over competitors. I was going to lease the iX and didn't want to add an aftermarket hitch that may affect the BMW warranty. Anyone else on the fence about the hitch situation to transport bikes?
This is the hitch that I found. I don't see how it can carry bicycles, but it can pull trailers and the IX is rated to tow 5,700 lb. The hitch cost is just over $1,000.

I recently cancelled my order for an IX loaded with most options available. I need a BMW factory installed hitch to transport my $7,000 electric trike. It's frustrating to read the UK models have a retractable hitch. BMW posts that the UK IX is a great electric vehicle to tow over competitors. I was going to lease the iX and didn't want to add an aftermarket hitch that may affect the BMW warranty. Anyone else on the fence about the hitch situation to transport bikes?
Found an even better solution from the US and it is stealth! No, not the manufacturer, but the hitch can be hidden when not in use. Here's the link and it's $492

I was over the moon when I saw a review for the ix50 that said the retractable hitch came standard, but then I found out that was not the case for Australia bound models. My dealer said bmw were in the process of trying to get approval for the hitch to be installed for Australian models but has not yet been approved, so it is a regulation thing for us. It really sucks. Hopefully, a solution comes available soon.
There is a company in Australia that has an aussie made bar for the IX, "ev towing australia"

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.