BMW iX Forums banner

iX factory hitch deal killer

15K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  02601_33859 
#1 ·
I recently cancelled my order for an IX loaded with most options available. I need a BMW factory installed hitch to transport my $7,000 electric trike. It's frustrating to read the UK models have a retractable hitch. BMW posts that the UK IX is a great electric vehicle to tow over competitors. I was going to lease the iX and didn't want to add an aftermarket hitch that may affect the BMW warranty. Anyone else on the fence about the hitch situation to transport bikes?

#6 ·
Hi there - I am in the same boat here - have an IX on order with a Q3 delivery. Transporting the bicycles for the wife and I is a requirement yet all I get from the sales rep and the company is the same thing... a non answer - obviously its not on the build list or would have picked it in a heartbeat. So I think that I am banking on the hope that by going the aftermarket route I will be able to use a Thule T2 Pro XT/XTR Hitch Bike rack which is what I have fitted to my current 2018 X5. BMW cant ignore the US market for this can they?

#7 ·
I looked into aftermarket options for our iX (currently still at sea). The folks at Stealthhitches will offer one as soon as they can get their hands on a car near Atlanta. Free hitch for anyone in the area who helps out. Unfortunately I'm near Seattle.

" The vehicle is on our development list. We plan to get one in our R&D facility in Sugar Hill (Atlanta) as soon as one is available. We will offer a free hitch to the first person that brings their vehicle to our Sugar Hill facility to start the process. Are you by chance near Atlanta? Also please feel free to post the free hitch offer on the ix forum if you are a participant.

Best Regards,
STEVE NANCE"

#8 ·
I recently messaged BMW about the hitch option here in the US and I received the following back.

Thank you for contacting the BMW i Team. We appreciate your inquiry.

At this time, the BMW iX has not been rated for towing in the United States market. As such, the BMW iX does not have the option for a Tow Package at the time of production.

For compatible aftermarket accessories for BMW vehicles, please speak with the parts department at your authorized BMW center. They have the expertise and are eager to share their knowledge. Should you need to access a list of our authorized BMW centers, please visit our website at: www.bmwusa.com, and select “Dealer Locator.”

I hope this information is helpful. Thanks again for your inquiry.

For your convenience, BMW i Team members can be reached Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Eastern Time. Feel free to call us via the BMW iConcierge Hotline at 1-855-236-1025.

#10 ·
My next question: WHY haven't they rated the iX for towing in the US market? Certainly doing that is easier than EPA testing, which they do on all of their cars.

Telling customers they can't have something because they, as the manufacturer, chose to do less work is not a satisfying and cohesive response. I expect this from Tesla, not BMW.

#9 ·
Thanks for the information and update.

Does this really leave us at BMW is not offering any way to transport a bicycle in the US marketplace via the IX?

Wake up BMW is this really your position? No bicycle transportation via the IX in the US?

Spoke to one after market provider the other day and they said they will create one as soon as they can get their hands on an IX vehicle @ their shop.

I took this to my sales rep who took it to dealership management who allegedly took it to BMW of North America - same non answer

Shame on you BMW

#14 ·
It was almost a deal breaker for me as an amateur cyclist, but the driving experience and car is superb that I can overlook it. Fortunately I have another vehicle for potential towing needs. BMW does offer roof solutions currently for the iX and I did confirm this with the dealer.

This may have been posted elsewhere, but here it is for reference again.

#15 ·
The problem with the roof solution is twofold. Harder to load and unload and a large increase in aerodynamic drag vs. a bike on a rack on the back. There is also the wind noise but that doesn't affect performance, just turn up the volume on the sound system.

#16 ·
In Europe The IX has a hitch that swings out by the press of a button. Just for carrying some bikes on a rack on that hitch to me seems to be perfectly fine, because they can be properly secured. If there are safety concerns, I wonder where those concerns are regarding the thousands of tire parts and lost truck loads on our roads. Not mentioning pot holes of sizes which easily could kill a motorcyclist. I regret that I will not be able to carry my bike, but will not cancel my order either. The over all ingenuity of the car out performs this disadvantage in my opinion.

#17 ·
I got my iX50 delivered yesterday, and by now I am convinced there is no hitch in the horizon coming from BMW US. I spoke to a reputable after market hitch installer who told me it will be months until one is available from third party manufacturers.

Has anybody used the Thule OutWay Hanging system? Seems to me like a possible interim solution. But I am not sure how it will perform. Any advise will be highly appreciated.

#22 ·
Per Stealth Hitch:

"We have an iX scheduled to come to our development facility the end if this month. Once that has happened we should have a hitch available in a matter of weeks.

Not sure of the exact timing, but I am thinking 4-6 weeks to go through Engineering, and then begin manufacturing. Hope to have it on the website for pre-orders approximately 2-3 weeks after the vehicle is at our facility for the development."

#23 ·
Per Stealth Hitch:

"We have an iX scheduled to come to our development facility the end if this month. Once that has happened we should have a hitch available in a matter of weeks.

Not sure of the exact timing, but I am thinking 4-6 weeks to go through Engineering, and then begin manufacturing. Hope to have it on the website for pre-orders approximately 2-3 weeks after the vehicle is at our facility for the development."
I was told something similar. I have a Stealth hitch on my 2015 X5 and it's great I use it for a Saris bike rack. However, when you back up, the "too close" warning beeps unless you turn that and the camera off. Annoying, but livable. But with the iX, there are many more sensors and cameras and I am wondering what problems a bike rack will cause. Obviously in Europe, that's addressed, but they won't here, I assume. Roof rack not an option for ebikes.

#29 ·
You’re assuming it’s a matter of how. And not how much. I assume for model x which was their only towing vehicle they had to do it for customer satisfaction. It may not make sense based on the ix sales figures to do it yet or at all. Look at all the other Evs that have hitch options outside the us but not in the us. Model 3 even. It’s not uncommon. Therefore it has to be a regulation cost effort issue.

#30 ·
A hitch will be available at the end of the September 2022. My car was a donor vehicle that helped StealthHitches design one.

Please see my post about it.

While it is not the "OEM BMW" it is an amazing product, and I will be using it exactly to do what the original poster wanted - carry my eclectic mountain bike.

#32 ·
I was over the moon when I saw a review for the ix50 that said the retractable hitch came standard, but then I found out that was not the case for Australia bound models. My dealer said bmw were in the process of trying to get approval for the hitch to be installed for Australian models but has not yet been approved, so it is a regulation thing for us. It really sucks. Hopefully, a solution comes available soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.