BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey @rkamensky welcome to the forum! I haven't seen anything about an aftermarket grille for the iX. It might be tricky for companies to do given all the tech that's behind it.

What would you want a replacement grille to look at?

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is absolutely no way to replace that grille. All the sensors are embedded in it, and it's made of a self-healing plastic, which prevents nicks etc. from affecting the sensors. And don't expect BMW to calm down about it any more than they did in the Bangle era. The whole point of that grille is to get the iX noticed everywhere it goes as a completely new generation BMW, which it definitely accomplishes. Not what you want to hear, but expect to see more, not fewer, beaver teeth/gapin nostrils on the road in the future. IMHO the design looks great on the 3 and 4, and the whole point of the iX is the interior anyway - like the Tardis, bigger on the inside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you seen the car in person?
After seeing it I now find that the grille on my current X5 45e looks rather dated.
I couldn't agree more. I saw it, drove it and find my current 2019 X5 dated as well in comparison. When I saw the IX in person I could not understand that fuss about it a bit. Everything on the IX is perfect in my opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the US, I can think of the first few items that the aftermarket would probably make in perhaps this order.
1. Tow Hitch
2. Grille
3. Roof Rails (that one is debatable as standard cross bars might fit)

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the US, I can think of the first few items that the aftermarket would probably make in perhaps this order.
1. Tow Hitch (for all of us that like to put a bike rack there)
2. Grille (perhaps color matched to make it look smaller)
3. Roof Rails (that one is debatable as standard cross bars might fit)

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is only ONE sensor behind that grill: Heated radar. That's it. A replacement can be designed to accommodate those bits. I'm not sure that the camera there is even part of the grill assembly. It has seams around it so probably separate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The front-facing camera is definitely in there too (not in the grille itself but the little strip in the middle) plus the camera washer: https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/sfyeo9 . Replacing the grille would be a very ambitious project indeed and I would be very curious what grille design you would propose in its place.

Start driving the iX, on the other hand, and you will learn to love the grille. We will all learn to love the grille.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts