BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I’ve just purchased an IX and within 2 weeks the moonroof cracked.
BMW are saying it’s impact damage.
within another week there were cracks on the inside!
Again they are saying it’s impact damage????? Internally???
Wondered if anyone else had had this problem.
being told to claim on my insurance
I understand that the glass roof is 18,000 to replace.

·
Registered
151 Posts
They're probably trying to hide their fault. You can send them the pictures and ask for help. If that doesn't work, please try contacting BMW directly via phone, email, or Twitter and share those photos. Also make sure to do all communications through emails so you have everything documented and on records.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Can very well be when your car in transportation sits in the lower level and metal tools or chains whatever had fallen onto your roof and it made a star and started cracking after you taken delivery and driven it…

The roof is definitely expensive to replace it has to be replace as an entire module due to the electro magnetic fluid sandwiched between the glasses and not to mention if it will leak afterward and how long it will take to get it fix…..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think it's impact damage. The parts that look like impact damage looks like its the 2 cracks rubbing against each other. Have you gone over uneven ground and it's it a twist in the structure that the glass can't accommodate. This is probably why it's cracked inside too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 1939

View attachment 1939

It's not normal.
Something must hit on it or has fallen on it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree that it's likely impact damage based on the crack pattern and visible impact sights. The internal cracks are a follow-on from the external ones since the car flexes in normal driving conditions. The part number for the glass is 54 10 7 953 711 and ECS lists it at around $10K.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Mark
What was outcome of this?
I’ve just had my roof crack in a very similar way, and it has a very similar “impact” style mark on it, but I’m not convinced it was impacted by an external object.
I was driving in town and actually recall hearing something from the back of the car when I was going over a speed bump, didn't think anything of it at the time, but I saw the crack for the first time at the end of the day.
The weird thing is I have the almost identical localised are of what looks like impact , about the size of a £1 coin.
The crack is on the outside, and the inside seems to be continuous and smooth still so it must be external laminate layer that has been damaged.

·
Registered
2023 iX M60, dark graphite metallic, Chestnut interior, driving assist pro, 22” bicolor wheels
30 Posts
Guys, this is really concerning as it seems to have gone from one isolated incident to a second one. I am going to be taking delivery of my iX 60 sometime in the middle of next month and would really like to hear from others on their thought/experience of a potential systemic issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In the early days, a limited number of Tesla glass roofs cracked due to faulty installation. In those cases, however, there was no impact mark whatsoever. The cracks emanated directly from the edge where the stress originated. I don't know if the BMW glass roof would crack in the same manner since the BMW is laminated glass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Should have posted these photos same time as my post above

obviously, I know that this looks like impact damage. Maybe something happened when it was parked, or flying debris, or malicious vandalism.

But as I said earlier, I actually remember hearing a strange quick sound (possibly the cracking?) when I was going over a speed bump at normal speed. It was one of those moments where you know something has happened that's not quite right, but you can't figure it out.

I'm no expert in glass, but I know from iPhone screen damage that what starts of as an elegant and tidy crack can soon look far worse at key points along the crack as the glass (presumably) runs against itself and chips/cracks further.

is that a plausible explanation?

Either way, I am very curious now to see if this will be covered by a comprehensive auto insurance policy (I'm in the uk), or should I be taking to BMW first?

Road surface Wood Grey Asphalt Composite material
Plant Flash photography Dress Twig Art

·
Registered
2023 iX M60, dark graphite metallic, Chestnut interior, driving assist pro, 22” bicolor wheels
30 Posts
Should have posted these photos same time as my post above

obviously, I know that this looks like impact damage. Maybe something happened when it was parked, or flying debris, or malicious vandalism.

But as I said earlier, I actually remember hearing a strange quick sound (possibly the cracking?) when I was going over a speed bump at normal speed. It was one of those moments where you know something has happened that's not quite right, but you can't figure it out.

I'm no expert in glass, but I know from iPhone screen damage that what starts of as an elegant and tidy crack can soon look far worse at key points along the crack as the glass (presumably) runs against itself and chips/cracks further.

is that a plausible explanation?

Either way, I am very curious now to see if this will be covered by a comprehensive auto insurance policy (I'm in the uk), or should I be taking to BMW first?

View attachment 2080 View attachment 2081
I am afraid this looks sort of like a rock chip from road hazard or malicious perhaps. You might want to talk to BMW to see if they acknowledge as this being an issue with the glass itself. As far as insurance is concerned, I am insured by Allstate insurance here in the US and they told me they will only cover a glass claim IF I actually purchase that coverage. So, as part of my research into the iX, I found that my insurance on the car would be much much cheaper than a Tesla model Y and also include no deductible glass coverage.

I contend that different insurance companies might treat glass coverage differently and it may very well be different in the UK. Please be aware that insurance companies in the US typically require claims to be reported in a timely manner so you might want to see what your particular insurer requires. I am sorry for this to happen to your brand new car. I hope you find an amicable solution to this mishap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mark
What was outcome of this?
I’ve just had my roof crack in a very similar way, and it has a very similar “impact” style mark on it, but I’m not convinced it was impacted by an external object.
I was driving in town and actually recall hearing something from the back of the car when I was going over a speed bump, didn't think anything of it at the time, but I saw the crack for the first time at the end of the day.
The weird thing is I have the almost identical localised are of what looks like impact , about the size of a £1 coin.
The crack is on the outside, and the inside seems to be continuous and smooth still so it must be external laminate layer that has been damaged.
Hi domeeruk.
could you give me a call on 07976928006 as I’d like to hear more of BMWs response.
my insurance company is fighting for me at the moment.
many thanks mark

1 - 20 of 38 Posts