BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I’m really disappointed with my new BMW IX 2023 purchase. The car stopped on the road with the drivetrain malfunction. The reason I did not buy a Tesla, but instead a BMW was for the quality expectation. Alas that did not turn out to be the outcome.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BMW just increased the time for the towing company. I have been standing by the roadside for almost 2 hours. BMW has really horrible roadside assistance! And btw, I am in sunny California and it is 70 degrees here so no weather issues. Perhaps more iXs are breaking down and bmw just needs to contract more towing companies.

· Registered
94 Posts
Yikes. Was your car built in October? Mine was and I just found out yesterday it's one of the iXs that was on the "stop delivery" advisory. It's supposedly a drivetrain issue but no one is getting any information at all. My dealership's service dept. knew nothing about it when I inquired about another matter yesterday and they discovered this for my VIN. I guess we're not using this car over the holidays, especially not after today's snowstorm. Aargh.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got my car 3 weeks ago. So might be the same October batch. Dealer mentioned that they had 2 i4 and 3 iX with the same problem. Looks like this is a global issue. It is nice and sunny and warm in the Bay Area. Was planning to hit the slopes of Tahoe driving the iX which won’t happen. Dealer did not have loaners - do you believe that.

· Registered
94 Posts
I got my car 3 weeks ago. So might be the same October batch. Dealer mentioned that they had 2 i4 and 3 iX with the same problem. Looks like this is a global issue. It is nice and sunny and warm in the Bay Area. Was planning to hit the slopes of Tahoe driving the iX which won’t happen. Dealer did not have loaners - do you believe that.
My worry is there won't be any loaners here in Toronto, either. And this is something that could take weeks to resolve. My dealership, including the service dept., is closed until Tuesday. In the meantime, I made a service appt. online for Wednesday morning. Good luck!

· Registered
49 Posts
BMW just increased the time for the towing company. I have been standing by the roadside for almost 2 hours. BMW has really horrible roadside assistance! And btw, I am in sunny California and it is 70 degrees here so no weather issues. Perhaps more iXs are breaking down and bmw just needs to contract more towing companies.
Sorry to hear your story. Please keep us posted.

· Registered
17 Posts
@SanSin wow really sorry to hear that! I'm also in the Bay Area and yes this past few days have been really nice and warm. Was your car not moving and you couldn't drive it? I assume you already tried turning the car off and turning back on several times? Please keep us updated how this turns out. Good luck!

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I’m really disappointed with my new BMW IX 2023 purchase. The car stopped on the road with the drivetrain malfunction. The reason I did not buy a Tesla, but instead a BMW was for the quality expectation. Alas that did not turn out to be the outcome.
Has your problem with the drivetrain issue been resolved? I am picking up my ix50 in a week and am worrying about my car being in the same Oct batch. With the new Tesla incentive, I am thinking about switching. Reliability is my top priority.

· Registered
94 Posts
Has your problem with the drivetrain issue been resolved? I am picking up my ix50 in a week and am worrying about my car being in the same Oct batch. With the new Tesla incentive, I am thinking about switching. Reliability is my top priority.
Don't switch! I just found out a couple of days ago that the iX50 I took delivery of 4 weeks ago is on the stop-sale list. Dealerships and service depts are closed until Tuesday but I booked an online appt for Wednesday and if they tell me I can't drive the car and have to leave it there I'm okay with that. Now that I've driven it and experienced its wonders, I'll wait for what is likely to be several weeks for repairs. I'm sure I'd feel very differently and very frustrated and angry if I hadn't had the opportunity to drive the car these past few weeks. I now know it's truly worth it, though.

· Registered
262 Posts
If reliability is your top priority you shouldn't be looking at Tesla. At all. Tesla ranks #16 in overall reliability rating compared to BMW at #3. You'd be much better off with almost any brand of EV other than Tesla. These are Consumer Reports rankings as completed by actual owners of these vehicles.

· Registered
3 Posts
Tesla build quality, fit and finish is horrendous. I came from a few Teslas over the years. My iX50 is the best built car I have ever owned, you will not be disappointed. Tesla service is really bad. They fix one thing and then break another. My vehicle prior to the iX was in the shop 12 times in less than a year.

· Registered
2022 BMW iX 50
28 Posts
Tesla build quality, fit and finish is horrendous. I came from a few Teslas over the years. My iX50 is the best built car I have ever owned, you will not be disappointed. Tesla service is really bad. They fix one thing and then break another. My vehicle prior to the iX was in the shop 12 times in less than a year.
I agree fully. Had an early S (took delivery at Fremont) and the factory was primitive, but quality was very high. PS service was impressive. Second S 3 years later was very good quality, factory much more modern. Final was model X, delivered with some issues (one falcon door). Factory more advanced with lots of robots (4 years ago). Never could fix, car would “start” on day and had to be flat beaded. Panel would go blank ( not a great feeling on Bay Area roads). Would go charge at Fairmont and take your-much more modern, but quality was so bad I turned in at end of lease. Seems as more modern/automatey factory the lower the quality . Moved back to ICE. Until iX came out I stopped looking at EVs (love Porsche but range was issue). I have had iX for 5 months (4,800 miles) and zero issues. Feels solid (better than other BMW X’s). So far no regrets.

· Registered
9 Posts
IX50 delivered in march 2022, now has 5000 miles on the clock. Recalled once for software update on November. Received Drivetrain warning while driving to family on Christmas Eve so called assistance. BMW tech came and run diagnostics and 'couldn't identify the source of the error'. Drivetrain error remains on dash. Advised to drive back to BMW garage or have car collected. While driving back on December 26 car generated a high voltage battery warning with immediate instruction to stop. Called assistance and tow truck collected car. Next repair slot January 16. Loaner offered cannot be used to drive outside the UK. So Xmas and new year holiday ruined. BMW need to fix their software issues, their lack of available techs and their loaner policy.

· Registered
57 Posts
Hello,
I got that message early in my iX ownership. I called the dealership and they taught me how to re-boot the car. The problem was cured and hasn't returned...With the ignition "on", press on the radio volume knob for about 60 seconds. That's is. Hope something like that works for you.

· Registered
5 Posts
This one isn’t the issue mentioned by PhiliX. I had that one happen too, but that’s just for when the NAV system says no media connection or something like that. The drivetrain one has happened to me too. It happened on the freeway. Luckily I was OK. The towing issue is not with BMW but the local towing companies and the priority of their calls. BMW couldn’t get a tow to me but I went ahead and towed it with AAA and they reimbursed me over $1000 for it. Once it got to the dealership they did a software update and that took care of the problem. They said it was a known issue in San Luis Obispo. BMW also offered to Uber me 90 miles to my destination for free. My daughter decided to drop everything and come get me. Guess she figured she owed me that. It was very sweet.

· Registered
6 Posts
IX50 delivered in march 2022, now has 5000 miles on the clock. Recalled once for software update on November. Received Drivetrain warning while driving to family on Christmas Eve so called assistance. BMW tech came and run diagnostics and 'couldn't identify the source of the error'. Drivetrain error remains on dash. Advised to drive back to BMW garage or have car collected. While driving back on December 26 car generated a high voltage battery warning with immediate instruction to stop. Called assistance and tow truck collected car. Next repair slot January 16. Loaner offered cannot be used to drive outside the UK. So Xmas and new year holiday ruined. BMW need to fix their software issues, their lack of available techs and their loaner policy.

· Registered
6 Posts
Had the same 2 warnings two days after I picked up my new iX M60 on 12/13/22. Returned car immediately to Service center, after diagnosis, BMW main ofc advised SC to replace the coolant pump for the batteries. It’s now 2 weeks later and was advised vehicle will be ready today. Keeping my fingers crossed that the issue is now resolved.

· Registered
94 Posts
Had the same 2 warnings two days after I picked up my new iX M60 on 12/13/22. Returned car immediately to Service center, after diagnosis, BMW main ofc advised SC to replace the coolant pump for the batteries. It’s now 2 weeks later and was advised vehicle will be ready today. Keeping my fingers crossed that the issue is now resolved.
Was your M60 produced in the October 5th onward "batch" that had a stop delivery placed on it?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts