BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is the wrong place admin, please move.......

So anyway, I own a Mach E, 2021 Premium AWD Extended Range with 42000 miles on it. My only issue with the car is Fords software. It is buggy and is really starting to drive me nuts. Typically a reset of the center screen gets it back to normal but I always seem to be waiting for the next bug to pop up.

Love the car, fun to drive and certainly cheaper to operate than the Jeep Rubicon I traded off.

However, all the bugs have me wondering if the grass is greener elsewhere. We've owned BMWs in the pas and have been very happy with them and the reliability we experienced.

I am interested in the iXdrive50, loaded...I would like to keep the Mach E for another 2 yrs but may have to jump ship before then.

What can you tell me about the new iX? Can I expect buggy software or has BMW done a better job in that department?

Tim

·
Registered
BMW iX50
40 Posts
I would say the iX is glitchy more than buggy. Day to day, everything is fine but then you get the occasional glitch, like yesterday when I was in the car with digital key and physical key and the car got confused and locked me in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, that's the kind of stuff that's bugging me about the Mach E. It seems to be happening more and more lately. Walk away lock won't work, then it does, says no key when clearly there is one and the car is running, loads guest profile instead of mine and then requires a reset in order to change it, Nav will freeze and put the arrow 2 miles off to your right which in turn messes up the speed recognition, climate control won't turn on requiring a reset to fix.

I guess I'm looking for the greener grass and not sure it exists at this point. LOL

·
Registered
402 Posts
BMW is not known for their software excellence (for that matter, neither is Ford). The car is great (iX), however like most new model EVs, the car is essentially a drive-by-wire computer. There were basically 3 software-related recalls when I ordered mine, that delayed delivery by upwards of 3 months. iDrive 8 is a new platform, and has had several updates already (by my count 4 or maybe even 5), and will no doubt have many more before it's reasonably stable. Comes with the territory, for new software and a new car. The connected remote software (myBMW) has also had its knocks and is still evolving. Considerably improved from just a few months ago, but I still for instance can't get the eSIM (built-in SIM card for improved communications) to work, either working with the carrier or BMW. It regularly needs the OS to be rebooted because of minor gremlins, but fortunately easy to do. At least BMW does update its system fairly frequently, and each iteration seems to bring some improvement. It's the age we now live in with pretty much any car, and most especially with EVs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I get that we are diving into new tings and they take time to catch up. Was just wondering if others were having the same issues and it appears so.

I like the iX but will likely stick with the MME I have for a few more years in the hope that things in the EV world in general get better/more stable. No plans to go bace to ICE, just need to get used to the glitches for now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts