BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

My i20 iX Xdrive40 is being built this week in Dingolfing.

I wonder what real-world range existing owners are experiencing ?

Having test driven one for a good few hours it looked to me like it was going to be a bit less than 200 miles (I know temperature can make a big difference - I am in the UK).

On that test drive we went to the Braintree Supercharger centre and plugged into a 350Kw charger and was lucky to get 58kw/hr !

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi I've got the 50 seeing a displayed range of 280 miles at 100%. Did a 420 mile trip at the weekend averaging 2.5 miles/kWh on motorway roads 75-80 cruising and better on A roads 2.7 miles/kWh 40-80 speed range. Charged twice at Gridserve 120kW charges for 30 min putting in 22 kWh so that was only 45 kW from around 50-70%.
Lat charge showed 198 range (70%) with 152 miles to home and arrived with 48 miles left, far better than when I do journeys in the i3 when I often need a topup to make it home despite showing enough range 120 miles from home.

So with the 40 and 71 kWh its about 3% better on consumption so touring range from 100% should be 200 miles with charge to charge range 10-80% of around 150 miles, should get better in the summer and if driven at lower speeds.

I bought my car to not to pussy foot about if I need to stop more often so be it - actually passed half a dozen Teslas on that trip .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for that, 2.7miles/kWh is pretty good - the loaner 40 we had was showing an average of 2.2 from new I guess.

What actual rates of charging were you seeing at Gridserve ?

I am, or will be, taking the view that after 100-150 miles of driving I should be stopping for a break anyway.

It will be a good day when we can all use the Tesla chargers !

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi

Thanks for that, 2.7miles/kWh is pretty good - the loaner 40 we had was showing an average of 2.2 from new I guess.

What actual rates of charging were you seeing at Gridserve ?

I am, or will be, taking the view that after 100-150 miles of driving I should be stopping for a break anyway.

It will be a good day when we can all use the Tesla chargers !
Grid serve were only giving around 45kW but I didnt attempt pre-conditiong for charging (not sure how)

Mine was at 2.2 being driven all local first 500 miles upto 2.4 now

I'm like you 2-2.5 hours driving need a stop

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got 2.7 miles/kWh on a 260 mile journey 25/75% split of 'A' roads and motorways. Mostly driven at 70mph (where traffic permitted). On the way back, I was more heavy footed, and drove over 70mph on the motorways and got 2.6.

One thing I've noticed on the MYBMW app, the charging times are for how long the cable was connected, not how long it was charging for. ie Overnight at home I would see 10kWh took 12 hours . So my times below are actually quicker than reported.

Stopped at an IONITY on the journey there. 58kWh took 45 minutes , and 35 minutes for 42 kWh on the way back. These charges were both to 100% , so a slower charge at the top end.
At my destination was a slow (7kwh?) charger. I was plugged in for about 8 hours and some time in that I got 55kWh up to 100%

Really happy with the range and speed of charging compared to the iPace. The IX is giving me exactly what I expected, I think under the right (rare) conditions 315 miles would be possible, but not the 380 miles WLTP quoted on the BMW site for the 50 which would need about 3.5 miles/kWh to achieve which I think is unrealistic. I think the WLTP tests are for for 30 miles (or minutes) at speeds of 45 mph, so not a lot relation to the real world.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Getting 220 miles full range from the iX40 is really good to know, I was expecting 150 to 180 miles. Is that mainly motorway driving at 75mph? I was told by BMW Genius I should get my car by end June, not long to go now before I can find out for myself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Now that it has warmed up, I was getting an indicated 329 miles @ 100% - Should make an up coming Spain trip quite reasonable (it was showing 330 until I sat there with the AC running to take the photo!)

Light Car Automotive design Steering part Mode of transport

·
Registered
6 Posts
Getting 220 miles full range from the iX40 is really good to know, I was expecting 150 to 180 miles. Is that mainly motorway driving at 75mph? I was told by BMW Genius I should get my car by end June, not long to go now before I can find out for myself.
Whatcar (UK) review say they got 177miles in really cold weather, though they were disappointed. You can always set Pre-conditioning before you set to drive to worm up the battery while charging and get best of it. I just got the car, so no idea what would be in really cold weather. But I had the hybrid 745e cold weather 16miles of range while good temp were doing 20miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts