BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
What is the load rating of the HRE wheels? I'm surprised that the HRE FF wheels are strong enough (read: correctly load rated) for the ~5700 LBS of the iX. Maybe the 40 is lighter though?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I asked him to double confirm that figure if possible and he said he will revert the soonest he can confirm via the distributor here in my country.
GREAT data —- let us know if he reconfirms. I’m not a huge fan of the OE 21” wheels my vehicle has — and would love to get some FF wheels like these. I think this style really matches nicely and I’d prob also go liquid silver, though they have other colors that might work nicely on my Blue Ridge — anyhow, your iX looks gorgeous, congrats and enjoy in good health!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Doing a quick Google search, I found this:
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR), 3145 kg. Max

Normally yes, you can divide that by 4 to get the corner max, however it isn’t always that simple. Since most vehicles have cargo in the rear, often times the max load for the rear axle is/can be more. Let’s just round up to 7,000 LBS to be safe, so that is 1,750 LBS per corner.

Tire Rack lists the OE 21” Goodyear tires on my ‘23 iX at:
Load Index 109= 2,271 lbs (1,030 kg) per tire

So now does that 130 kg per corner matter? Are the tires “over rated” or are the wheels under rated? Again from the factory it’s only 786kg/corner if you take that 3145 and divide by four. Actually let’s consult the owners manual …

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Okay this works… and does give is -good- info. At the max load rating would be, as I had guessed, the REAR axle, which is a combined (both sides) of 1,770 kg — 885 kg max. So BMW has chosen tires that exceed that load, but may be simply because the width tires they wanted are more capable than needed. But either way, if the max load in the rear is 885 kg per side, then your 900-kg-rated wheels should be just fine. That is what I am deducing there—

What is interesting to note here is that you got a reply for the rating for the 22” FF wheels from HRE. I wonder if the appropriate 20/21” sizes are equally as robust or not. I may have to ask HRE down the road if I decide to upgrade wheels. But again the bottom line for now is that based on how i undersatnd load ratings, I’d say you are a-okay to keep on truckin’ hahahaha enjoy!!! (y)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts