BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all,

I have done a search of the forums and Google searches, but have not found any information in regard to length of term and costs for extended warranties offered by BMW on the IX50.

I believe the standard warranty is 4 year, 50,000 miles, but since I have a habit of keeping my vehicles for at least 7 years and 100,000 miles (sometimes more) and given that this will be a vehicle I probably cannot wrench on myself especially on the power train and compute systems, it seems prudent (at least to me) to get an extended warranty when I take delivery of my IX50 in July. This being my first BMW, I understand you can possible (?) extended the warranty during the first 4 years and 50,000 miles, please correct me here if I am mistaken.

The question being, is it best to purchase the extended warranty up front, or wait a couple of years and see how the vehicle performs from reliability standpoint? That way if the car is simply a dud (I have had a couple of those in my life) I don’t waste the funds with purchasing a warranty up front that I might not use.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and guidance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello again all,

I have done a search of the forums and Google searches, but have not found any information in regard to length of term and costs for extended warranties offered by BMW on the IX50.

I believe the standard warranty is 4 year, 50,000 miles, but since I have a habit of keeping my vehicles for at least 7 years and 100,000 miles (sometimes more) and given that this will be a vehicle I probably cannot wrench on myself especially on the power train and compute systems, it seems prudent (at least to me) to get an extended warranty when I take delivery of my IX50 in July. This being my first BMW, I understand you can possible (?) extended the warranty during the first 4 years and 50,000 miles, please correct me here if I am mistaken.

The question being, is it best to purchase the extended warranty up front, or wait a couple of years and see how the vehicle performs from reliability standpoint? That way if the car is simply a dud (I have had a couple of those in my life) I don’t waste the funds with purchasing a warranty up front that I might not use.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and guidance.
Hi, I just wanted to throw in that there are three (at least but you’ll need to see a window sticker at a dealer) warranties on the iX: the limited standard 4yr/50k miles, a power train warranty 4yrs/50k, and an 8 yr/100k warranty on the EV components and battery. This kind of warranty on EV parts was common across the brands and shopping around, a lot of the salespeople were like “why buy an extended when there’s an 8 year on the battery and EV parts.” Never thought I’d hear a salesperson oppose the extended. Now I don’t know what “EV components” cover past the battery and maybe the wires and other boxes that connect it to the motors, but I haven’t been able to find details on that.
All this to say that on the iX it may not make the most sense to get an extended.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you looked at the extended warranty provided by your insurance carrier? On my I3 and Jeep Wrangler I have 10 year 100k warranties with 250 deductibles for about $22 a month for both cars. The manufacturer warranty always is applied first if applicable. Had to use it on the Jeep and it was painless having the dealer process the claim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts