BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all,

I have done a search of the forums and Google searches, but have not found any information in regard to length of term and costs for extended warranties offered by BMW on the IX50.

I believe the standard warranty is 4 year, 50,000 miles, but since I have a habit of keeping my vehicles for at least 7 years and 100,000 miles (sometimes more) and given that this will be a vehicle I probably cannot wrench on myself especially on the power train and compute systems, it seems prudent (at least to me) to get an extended warranty when I take delivery of my IX50 in July. This being my first BMW, I understand you can possible (?) extended the warranty during the first 4 years and 50,000 miles, please correct me here if I am mistaken.

The question being, is it best to purchase the extended warranty up front, or wait a couple of years and see how the vehicle performs from reliability standpoint? That way if the car is simply a dud (I have had a couple of those in my life) I don’t waste the funds with purchasing a warranty up front that I might not use.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and guidance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello again all,

I have done a search of the forums and Google searches, but have not found any information in regard to length of term and costs for extended warranties offered by BMW on the IX50.

I believe the standard warranty is 4 year, 50,000 miles, but since I have a habit of keeping my vehicles for at least 7 years and 100,000 miles (sometimes more) and given that this will be a vehicle I probably cannot wrench on myself especially on the power train and compute systems, it seems prudent (at least to me) to get an extended warranty when I take delivery of my IX50 in July. This being my first BMW, I understand you can possible (?) extended the warranty during the first 4 years and 50,000 miles, please correct me here if I am mistaken.

The question being, is it best to purchase the extended warranty up front, or wait a couple of years and see how the vehicle performs from reliability standpoint? That way if the car is simply a dud (I have had a couple of those in my life) I don’t waste the funds with purchasing a warranty up front that I might not use.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and guidance.
Hi, I just wanted to throw in that there are three (at least but you’ll need to see a window sticker at a dealer) warranties on the iX: the limited standard 4yr/50k miles, a power train warranty 4yrs/50k, and an 8 yr/100k warranty on the EV components and battery. This kind of warranty on EV parts was common across the brands and shopping around, a lot of the salespeople were like “why buy an extended when there’s an 8 year on the battery and EV parts.” Never thought I’d hear a salesperson oppose the extended. Now I don’t know what “EV components” cover past the battery and maybe the wires and other boxes that connect it to the motors, but I haven’t been able to find details on that.
All this to say that on the iX it may not make the most sense to get an extended.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you looked at the extended warranty provided by your insurance carrier? On my I3 and Jeep Wrangler I have 10 year 100k warranties with 250 deductibles for about $22 a month for both cars. The manufacturer warranty always is applied first if applicable. Had to use it on the Jeep and it was painless having the dealer process the claim.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got a 10 year 100k warranty. Covers pretty much everything. Has a lot of ice lingo in there but then the fine print says if not that then it’s covered in section blah blah blah. We won’t hit 100k in 10 years and it’s a rolling computer so I bought my first ever extended warranty. Prorated return if sold before it expires. 5k.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Got a 10 year 100k warranty. Covers pretty much everything. Has a lot of ice lingo in there but then the fine print says if not that then it’s covered in section blah blah blah. We won’t hit 100k in 10 years and it’s a rolling computer so I bought my first ever extended warranty. Prorated return if sold before it expires. 5k.
Did you get 10 year 100K warranty from BMW or Private Insurance company? What is premium for this?

·
Registered
2023 iX M60, dark graphite metallic, Chestnut interior, driving assist pro, 22” bicolor wheels
30 Posts
Does anyone know how long I have to buy an extended warranty after I purchase the car? I don't think I'll feel like it the day I buy it....
I was told by the dealer that the 4yr 75K warranty could be purchased within the 4yr/50K before it expires. However, the maintenance warranty would only be available at the time of purchase.

I paid $2989 for the maintenance contract yesterday when I picked up my iX 60. I decided to defer the extended warranty purchase till later. I don’t know if I got duped or not but the maintenance contract seemed reasonable for 7yr/125K miles as just brakes on the M vehicle can run upwards of $3K every time it’s done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was told by the dealer that the 4yr 75K warranty could be purchased within the 4yr/50K before it expires. However, the maintenance warranty would only be available at the time of purchase.

I paid $2989 for the maintenance contract yesterday when I picked up my iX 60. I decided to defer the extended warranty purchase till later. I don’t know if I got duped or not but the maintenance contract seemed reasonable for 7yr/125K miles as just brakes on the M vehicle can run upwards of $3K every time it’s done.
@BMWiX60M I read somewhere that the brakes on the iX don't need any maintenance for the first 6 years.

·
Registered
56 Posts
@BMWiX60M I read somewhere that the brakes on the iX don't need any maintenance for the first 6 years.
For what it's worth, I have never had to replace brakes on a Tesla X...ever. They're basically pristine. Assuming the iX uses regenerative braking smartly, and I assume so, those brakes might last longer than you're going to keep the car.

I'm really wondering what "scheduled maintenance" BMW is recommending on the iX. My Tesla never had a thing done to it besides adding washer fluid and changing between winter and summer tires. It's one of the things I'm really nervous about when it comes to getting this BMW...I do NOT miss the conventional dealer/manufacturer model of trying to sell me useless packages and unneeded maintenance. I still remember when Lexus tried to charge me $200 for new wiper blade inserts over a decade ago...

·
Registered
2023 iX M60, dark graphite metallic, Chestnut interior, driving assist pro, 22” bicolor wheels
30 Posts
Even if this turns out to be the case, the one time brake/rotor replacement would easily cover the $3K I paid. In addition to that, brake fluid is a two-year replacement item and they will add up as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts