BMW iX Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
520i
20 Posts
As per my knowledge, maximum ac charging is 11 kw for iX.

I have agreed with charging service provider for installation ow BMW Wallbox at home. As oer their comment, wallbox has capability for 22 but they will adust from inside to 11.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I already tried with 22 kw charger when i tested the IX40 (my IX will come in feb) it cannot pull more than 11 kw. I have ix3 now and 22 kw Wallbox installed home ix3 also cannot pull more than 11 kw

·
Registered
92 Posts
It is at Ocean Plymouth collecting it Friday, got a busy week so didn't want the distraction the car would cause if I collected it earlier
Seems to gone off track this thread, here is the statement on cable current limiting

• Type 2 cables have resistors that communicate with the car and tell it that the cable is plugged in and to keep charging whilst other resistor functions are maintaining the uniform supply of power as it detects the strength of the cable and derives power accordingly. Whereas the resistors in the Type 1 cable detect whether the cable is plugged in the car or not and decide to turn off the charger in case the lever is pressed to unlatch the plug.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a theory - I am 100% convinced that the current iX's only have an 11kW on-board charger. The spec sheets given to me by the dealer, along with everything else I seen makes me think this, including on page 325 of the user manual say 16A is maximum type 3 charging 'intensity' (sic.). However, my theory is that they were originally designed to have 22kW capability, as shown by ICS's pictures earlier but because of either chip shortages or just wanting to cut costs they downgraded to 11kW. Another piece of evidence for the 22kW is on page 156 of the manual shows a mocked up display showing 22kW on AC...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I charged at a 43kw AC public charger yesterday and it maxed out at 11kw - I have the 50 - ironically there was a 50 parked next to me using the CCS. To say these are still rare I thought it funny for 2 to be parked next to each other - small world!

Defo 11kw max charge

·
Registered
iX 4.0
20 Posts
Did you note what the CCS was pumping out?
AC is maxed to 11 Kw. Which is ok for AC charging, my MX does max 16Kw, typically 11Kw.
Fast Charging (DC) depends on the state of the battery, there are charging graphs available. It also depends on the temperature of the battery. Unfortunately the iX does not provide any detailed charging data, looking at the bar on the display I got to max 100Kw. As the battery was somewhat cold that made sense. I think the below is the official one from BMW.
Slope Font Rectangle Parallel Engineering

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I get mine I'll report back. I think it is only capable of 11Kw charging on AC. And then only if three phase is present i.e. 16A per phase. Just for info, type 2 cables can indeed have a resistor in the cable fitted between the PP pin and earth. The resistance tells the charge point what the maximum the charge cable can handle as follows;

Current capability of cableResistance
13 A1.5 kilohms
20 A680 ohms
32 A200 ohms
63 A (3 phase) / 70 A (single phase)100 ohms

The resistance values refer to the maximum current rating of the charging connector/cable, meaning the connected EVSE could be capable of a higher charging rate, yet the connector is not. Therefore, the vehicle will only charge at a rate determined by the connector, to prevent overheating of the charge point and copper in the cable.

This resistor tends to be omitted in tethered cables as the maximum that the charge point controller (a unit inside the charge point) will allow is set within the charge point controller either by resistor or software.
I've built my own 3 phase charge point and it monitors current per phase to a couple of decimal places. This unit already supplies our Zoe at 22Kw. Noting that the Zoe has a 3 phase 22kW charge on-board and the charge point has a tethered 3 phase 32A cable not fitted with a resistor. No resistor because the charge point is only capable of supplying at 32A per phase anyway limited by the Viridian charge point controller. So if the iX does have a 22kW charger then this charge point will supply it at that rate.

As a point of note, I have seen a few cables that are only rated at 16A (single and 3 phase) that do not have the resistor fitted and thus could be put into service on say a 32A charge point to a Zoe which would then run at 32A down the cable. Result would be cable getting very hot, best case, worst case fire/damage to charge point/car/cable. Always check exactly what you are buying. Untethered cables tend to say what rating they are in light grey writing on the side of the cable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seems to gone off track this thread, here is the statement on cable current limiting

• Type 2 cables have resistors that communicate with the car and tell it that the cable is plugged in and to keep charging whilst other resistor functions are maintaining the uniform supply of power as it detects the strength of the cable and derives power accordingly. Whereas the resistors in the Type 1 cable detect whether the cable is plugged in the car or not and decide to turn off the charger in case the lever is pressed to unlatch the plug.
Indeed they do. Above is a bit woolly so here is the table on current limiting resistors that "should" be fitted in untethered cables;
13 A1.5 kilohms
20 A680 ohms
32 A200 ohms

The resistance values refer to the maximum current rating of the charging connector, meaning the connected EVSE could be capable of a higher charging rate, yet the connector is not. Therefore, the vehicle will only charge at a rate determined by the connector, to prevent overheating of the charge cable,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
When I get mine I'll report back. I think it is only capable of 11Kw charging on AC. And then only if three phase is present i.e. 16A per phase. Just for info, type 2 cables can indeed have a resistor in the cable fitted between the PP pin and earth. The resistance tells the charge point what the maximum the charge cable can handle as follows;

13 A1.5 kilohms
20 A680 ohms
32 A200 ohms

The resistance values refer to the maximum current rating of the charging connector/cable, meaning the connected EVSE could be capable of a higher charging rate, yet the connector is not. Therefore, the vehicle will only charge at a rate determined by the connector, to prevent overheating of the charge point and copper in the cable.

This resistor tends to be omitted in tethered cables as the maximum that the charge point controller (a unit inside the charge point) will allow is set within the charge point controller either by resistor or software.
I've built my own 3 phase charge point and it monitors current per phase to a couple of decimal places. This unit already supplies our Zoe at 22Kw. Noting that the Zoe has a 3 phase 22kW charge on-board and the charge point has a tethered 3 phase 32A cable not fitted with a resistor. No resistor because the charge point is only capable of supplying at 32A per phase anyway limited by the Viridian charge point controller. So if the iX does have a 22kW charger then this charge point will supply it at that rate.

As a point of note, I have seen a few cables that are only rated at 16A (single and 3 phase) that do not have the resistor fitted and thus could be put into service on say a 32A charge point to a Zoe which would then run at 32A down the cable. Result would be cable getting very hot, best case, worst case fire/damage to charge point/car/cable. Always check exactly what you are buying. Untethered cables tend to say what rating they are in light grey writing on the side of the cable.
Awesome info thanks Mike! I was under the impression this was negotiated by the control pilot signal, but it makes sense this is more to do with tethered EVSEs. It'll also explain why the cable i received with my 50 would only charge @ 11kw on a 22kw EVSE.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What is slightly worrying about this method as you can see from the table is that of the resistor was to break or go open circuit this would allow whatever the car and charge point are capable of, which may exceed the capability of the cable! Here is an example........... Bottom left. Ignore the other photos. That photo is of a 16A single phase cable.

Office supplies Eyelash Finger Font Audio equipment

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
What is slightly worrying about this method as you can see from the table is that of the resistor was to break or go open circuit this would allow whatever the car and charge point are capable of, which may exceed the capability of the cable!
That is pretty worrying, i suppose the general thought is that car manufacturers would be the ones to supply correctly rated cables, but i'm seeing more and more online for people wanting longer cables, so it's worrying that someone could buy a cheap one, which could go faulty.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That is pretty worrying, i suppose the general thought is that car manufacturers would be the ones to supply correctly rated cables, but i'm seeing more and more online for people wanting longer cables, so it's worrying that someone could buy a cheap one, which could go faulty.
Just checked my 32A 7.5m Mennekes type 2 cable and it does have a 200 ohm resistor fitted, I use this on 11kW 3 phase (11kW) where avaiable and 32A 1 phase (7.4kW) for when that is available for my i3S. If the iX comes with a 16A cable then I'll replace it with this one. I can see why these aren't popular weighs in at +5kg. The length is great for when you are ICED on a charging point park in front of the ICE and plug in

Great posts here learnt a lot

Bag Sports gear Audio equipment Headgear Automotive tire

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just checked my 32A 7.5m Mennekes type 2 cable and it does have a 200 ohm resistor fitted, I use this on 11kW 3 phase (11kW) where avaiable and 32A 1 phase (7.4kW) for when that is available for my i3S. If the iX comes with a 16A cable then I'll replace it with this one. I can see why these aren't popular weighs in at +5kg

Great posts here learnt a lot

View attachment 1345
Decent cables though! I had a Yellow one with my XC90 T8 (only 3.6KW), but i bought one of my team an XC40 (similar electric drive train), which had a cheap "chinesium" cable, worlds apart. The one with the iX is definitely rated at 32A (it's marked on the jacket), so i would assume its 200 Ohm too. I do prefer cables like yours as the connectors are much nicer. Where did you buy yours?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
It was on offer through i3 group but these same item are a good price 4m or 7.5m Charging cables
Spot on, i'll have to grab one of those. As for charging it looks like i was pulling 11KW today, but likely due to the cable/charger. I'm going to take a look at the cable in our Zoe, which isnt out with an engineer today and see if that's 22KW and then i'll try that on my iX to see if that permits a higher charge rate.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts