BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a call from my dealer regarding the order I placed for a 50 Sport six weeks ago.
Apparently BMW have changed the spec, so they will no longer make the iX50 with a Sport pack, it is M-Sport only from now on.
It also comes standard with the Skylounge pack, the tow-bar(??) and everything in the Comfort Plus pack except the ventilated seats and the massage.

The net result is the 50 will cost about £8,000 more without options.

My order has effectively been nullified, and my May build slot cancelled. I can get a July build slot for an equivalent spec car, but it has to have these new standard features, none of which I want, at the new price.

Has anyone else heard of this? It's one thing to make the M-sport a standard spec, and I could even see the SkyLounge - but the tow-bar!!?? That's bizarre.

For my trouble of getting a car in a spec I don't want, for a price I didn't agree to, two months later than I was originally told, BMW have offered me absolutely nothing. Apparently if I break the contract I lose my deposit, but it seems they're able to break the contract with no skin in the game.

Am I being spun a yarn here? My dealer seems a good guy, and he has been very open with me, but some of this sounds a bit much. I get they'd want to maximise revenue per build, especially if they are facing bad chip shortages, but who the hell makes a tow-bar standard on an EV...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there,
I placed my order a little before yours and delivery originally estimated for end of July. I haven't heard anything like this yet, but I'll be watching with interest.

In terms of your deposit, surely there must be something which says BMW are not delivering the car to your specification and hence can't meet the terms of the contract you signed?

Minor changes here and there I could understand but I wouldn't accept any component shortages as an excuse if you're ending up with additional options!

If this happens for me it will blow my budget and I'll be cancelling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, there's a clause about not being able to produce the spec, in which case they cancel the order and refund the deposit. I know I'll get my money back if I cancel - and I'm seriously considering doing so - what annoys me is that if I had broken the contract and had cancelled for no reason, I'd have lost my £2k deposit. But BMW can effectively break the contract at no penalty. I asked the dealer to ask BMW for that same £2k as a contribution. I'll probably cancel if they don't give it - and unfortunately, I doubt they will.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's really crap isn't it. I hope they see sense and are more flexible for you. There are bound to be many others in the same situation and not everyone will be able to stump up the extra cash, despite the large cost of the car in the first place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same understanding as well but that is on the 40. Over here, starting July production, the 40 will come standard with skylounge + M Sports kit + heated steering. Considering that we are located in the tropics, the standard option of heated steering is a waste of money - ventilated seats will be more appropriate. This is also part of the reason why I canceled my order for July production and jumped onto a cancelled order with build in March and ETA June.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Following up here.
BMW are changing to "Editions" instead of ordering IXs to whatever spec you want. If you want a 50 now in the UK, there's only one Edition available with very few options you can add on (I added ventilated front seats).
The 50 Edition includes the panoramic roof, the M-sport pack, and the towbar, as well as everything from the Comfort Plus pack except the ventilated seats.
I believe this has something to do with the chip shortage, so they're maximising the number of cars they can build with the chips they have.

My delivery got delayed to mid-August as a result.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmmm. I don't buy it. Maximizing production with what they have? Feels more like maximizing profit. I can't see the logic of adding loads of extra options as a mandatory high pack and saying it's due to chip shortages. If they had a surplus of glass and a shortage of aluminium I can see why they'd add a sunroof to every car 😋. Until I see something from them to the contrary this is just BMW taking advantage of some well-heeled buyers.

My order still hasn't been accepted by the factory, so I'm expecting this conversation at some point soon...

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, I've just had the same situation today. Lease company called to say BMW have stated my order cannot be accepted as the model is being discontinued. I ordered a 50 with the only options; Parking Assistant Pro, Titan bronze trim, 22" two Tone alloys, comfort pack and blue ridge mountain colour.

So far I've been offered the option to"keep the same build slot" except that build slot has now slipped from end of July to October. I would also need to accept the altered spec at a much higher price, or drop to a 40 model.

Not impressed and the only thing that's taken the sting out of it is I knew the news was coming at some point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I've just had the same situation today. Lease company called to say BMW have stated my order cannot be accepted as the model is being discontinued. I ordered a 50 with the only options; Parking Assistant Pro, Titan bronze trim, 22" two Tone alloys, comfort pack and blue ridge mountain colour.

So far I've been offered the option to"keep the same build slot" except that build slot has now slipped from end of July to October. I would also need to accept the altered spec at a much higher price, or drop to a 40 model.

Not impressed and the only thing that's taken the sting out of it is I knew the news was coming at some point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No spec change for me but another 9 months of wait. iX drive50 has been ordered in July 2021, expected delivery updated today to ... March 2023 :eek::eek::eek:. I am in Belgium, anybody else suffering the same 20 months waiting time ? Any rationale behind it other than bmw optimizing for profit ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
No spec change for me but another 9 months of wait. iX drive50 has been ordered in July 2021, expected delivery updated today to ... March 2023 :eek::eek::eek:. I am in Belgium, anybody else suffering the same 20 months waiting time ? Any rationale behind it other than bmw optimizing for profit ?
Optimizing for profit. I know... Feels like that.

I've now got an alternative though. Cancelled order at another dealer, so I've swooped in to take it. Different spec, incl some bits I didn't want to pay for. Price up by about 5k and available immediately, but better than £8k and October. With the cost of living increases at the moment, I suspect there'll be more cancelled orders soon.

I wish you luck getting yours sooner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Turns out the dealer wanted to make more of a profit on the sale. The car was ordered before the price rises in June, so was a pre "M-Sport Edition" as they're now called in the UK.

The new spec on orders placed after June includes the "High Pack" with most of the options selected.

This car had none of that and was £107k as initially ordered. The order was cancelled by the original buyer. However the dealer raised the price by £3k as it was then being sold after June.

I declined the car. They can find some other desperate sucker to take it. I'm now resigned to the fact if I want a car this year it either has to be a 40 or I boycott BMW entirely. This is really poor behaviour from a UK dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts