BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tinted (or considered tinting) the panoramic roof on their XI 50. I don't like the fact that it did not come with a sunscreen as maximum darkening is not enough for me. I have read posts where people have said that tinting the moonroof can cause it to crack due to heat built up from the tint. Others (mostly tint shops) have said that this is not the case and this happens from poorly installed moonroofs that shatter as a result of the car frame shifting ever so little when going over bumps or rough terrain. The manager at my dealership told me that there has already been a case of a shattered moonroof on the IX due to tint. I have an 2020 X3 as well and it was tinted with 5% tint and I never had a problem with it,,,,even living in hot South Florida.

Anybody have any thoughts or experience on this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
How does heat build up from tint? That sounds like nonsense to me. Tint reduces heat. Sounds like nonsense to me.
I think the worry is that tinting the glass makes the glass darker and hence absorb more sun light rather than deflecting it. Therefore, tinging reduces heat in the car, but might increase the temperature of the glass. Just a guess, I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think the worry is that tinting the glass makes the glass darker and hence absorb more sun light rather than deflecting it. Therefore, tinging reduces heat in the car, but might increase the temperature of the glass. Just a guess, I'm not an expert.
Could there be some other film coating, maybe made of some other material, that can be applied on top of the tint to reflect away the heat instead of absorbing it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe ceramic tint rejects heat. It may depend on the type of tint. The cheap-o tints don't do that and may be more harmful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm putting in my order and am still deciding if I shld go with the panoramic roof. I lived in the tropics with temperature averaging about 34 C throughout the year. If I do, will most likely go with the maximum tint to help reject the sunlight/heat and as such will it defeat the whole purpose of having the panoramic roof considering it will be too dark for visibility. Curious also to hear feedback how much light/heat rejection the frosted mode will do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe ceramic tint rejects heat. It may depend on the type of tint. The cheap-o tints don't do that and may be more harmful.
No Ceramic tint does not reject heat, it absorbs it. All tint does absorbs heat (expect for the tint from 30 years ago, mirrored tint, which is illegal now) If you have ever been in a car with back side windows tinted and front side windows not tinted, you will notice that if you touch the glass (on the inside), the clear windows are MUCH cooler than the ones that are tinted. The reason window tinting works so well is because it prevents sun from coming through the window. However, it does not do this by reflecting it (as the old school mirrored tint used to do), it does this by absorbing it. So yes, window tint absolutely makes the glass much warming/hotter to the touch than non tinted glass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm putting in my order and am still deciding if I shld go with the panoramic roof. I lived in the tropics with temperature averaging about 34 C throughout the year. If I do, will most likely go with the maximum tint to help reject the sunlight/heat and as such will it defeat the whole purpose of having the panoramic roof considering it will be too dark for visibility. Curious also to hear feedback how much light/heat rejection the frosted mode will do.
Hi, I live in South FL. I was fortunate to get one of the first delivered IX 50 in the State. I was a cancelled order from somebody else. Unfortunately, it came with the moonroof. I would have not ordered it if I had the choice. In fact its the only thing about the car im not crazy about. The difference between clear and opaque is very slight, Clear is not really clear and opaque does not even come close to blocking the heat/ sun. I tinted mine at 5% Ceramic. I can still see the sun through the moonroof, but its much better than before. Save your money its not worth it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts