BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
BMW iX 40 M-Sport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know these topics are common place but i have searched the forums a few times and haven't quite been able to find the information i was looking for.

In terms of background i received by BMW iX 40 M Sport last week and am adjusting to life with the new car. I previously had a jaguar ipace for 2 and a half years so i am pretty well versed in EV ownership and driving. I think owning an EV makes you geek out and focus on small details with regard to driving, charging and the background statistics of it all. I appreciate alot of drivers hate that, which explains peoples reluctance to switch to EV.

My i-Pace had a quoted range of 298 miles. The most i ever got was 250 and i arrived home with 4 miles left on the predicted range - i never dared to push the car to that level again as it wasn't worth the anxiety (i have charger at home so there was no necessity other than curiosity). Generally speaking the range of my car in the summer was 220-230 and around 180-200 in the winter.

Over the years ive learned about optimising battery performance and maximising range- Ive taken these to the iX and i must say my early impressions is that the range is pretty awful.

I appreciate its been around freezing since i recieved the car, but by my early calculations and experience (ive only actually driven 100miles)- the range is about that- 100 miles. For context- this is all city driving and i do live in a hilly part of the country.

Now i understand its still very early to judge and i also understand the battery is nearly 20% smaller than the ipace (and therefore the range would be 20% less by default) but the drop in range capacity is pretty shocking.

I'm reserving early judgement and ill update in a few months, but i would be grateful if the forum had the answers to the following:

1. Alot of people posting on the forum are quoting m/kWh that they are getting from their cars- where do i find these? The ipace would provide these live as part of the dashboard, they would be in the EV category on the infotainment and the data would also be on the app for each journey. I cant find them anywhere in the car and the app just displays miles driven and energy used (rather than data).

2. Does the car have a 'power saver mode'? I know there is an efficient mode (which tbh feels exactly the same as the normal modes) The ipace had a handy feature where it would essentially power down- turn off all screens besides the dash and conserve as much battery as possible. This helped me a few times when i was in desperate need for a charge on a long journey.

Thanks

· Registered
262 Posts
I live in Arizona where it's in the 60s during the day this time of year. I drove about 100 miles yesterday in my 50 at a 3.6 mi/kWh efficiency. That equates to 389 miles @ 100% SOC. This car is incredible!

· Registered
9 Posts
If you press the config button on the steering wheel to adjust the instrument cluster you can select the ‘Values for this trip’ option which will show the m/kWh (it changes from kWh/h once the car is in motion). There is also the car widget on the control display which can shows values since the start of journey.

I’ve alas not got close to some of the excellent figures that others are getting from their cars.

I am in a London suburb and do mainly local driving. I drive mostly in B mode and the car shows scores of 10/10 on the car widget in terms of anticipation, acceleration etc. I got the car (iX50 with 22”) in Sept and was getting between 2.2 and 3 depending on the distance and local road vs motorway. Now that it’s much colder and has been hitting -1°C or -2°C (the car is pre-heated for my first journey of the day) I’m getting between 1.4 (very short runs) and 2.2. I have climate control functions on for comfort but switch them off for periods during the journey.

I’ve not been on a motorway since the temp has substantially dropped but based on the drop in range on local journeys would expect it’d be between 2.4 - 2.7.

You can turn off the control display using a hand gesture although I assume that this would makeno meaningful difference to the power used.

· Registered
30 Posts
Hi all,

I know these topics are common place but i have searched the forums a few times and haven't quite been able to find the information i was looking for.

In terms of background i received by BMW iX 40 M Sport last week and am adjusting to life with the new car. I previously had a jaguar ipace for 2 and a half years so i am pretty well versed in EV ownership and driving. I think owning an EV makes you geek out and focus on small details with regard to driving, charging and the background statistics of it all. I appreciate alot of drivers hate that, which explains peoples reluctance to switch to EV.

My i-Pace had a quoted range of 298 miles. The most i ever got was 250 and i arrived home with 4 miles left on the predicted range - i never dared to push the car to that level again as it wasn't worth the anxiety (i have charger at home so there was no necessity other than curiosity). Generally speaking the range of my car in the summer was 220-230 and around 180-200 in the winter.

Over the years ive learned about optimising battery performance and maximising range- Ive taken these to the iX and i must say my early impressions is that the range is pretty awful.

I appreciate its been around freezing since i recieved the car, but by my early calculations and experience (ive only actually driven 100miles)- the range is about that- 100 miles. For context- this is all city driving and i do live in a hilly part of the country.

Now i understand its still very early to judge and i also understand the battery is nearly 20% smaller than the ipace (and therefore the range would be 20% less by default) but the drop in range capacity is pretty shocking.

I'm reserving early judgement and ill update in a few months, but i would be grateful if the forum had the answers to the following:

1. Alot of people posting on the forum are quoting m/kWh that they are getting from their cars- where do i find these? The ipace would provide these live as part of the dashboard, they would be in the EV category on the infotainment and the data would also be on the app for each journey. I cant find them anywhere in the car and the app just displays miles driven and energy used (rather than data).

2. Does the car have a 'power saver mode'? I know there is an efficient mode (which tbh feels exactly the same as the normal modes) The ipace had a handy feature where it would essentially power down- turn off all screens besides the dash and conserve as much battery as possible. This helped me a few times when i was in desperate need for a charge on a long journey.

Thanks

· Registered
30 Posts
I've got the IX40 M sport with 22 inch wheels. Owned this since June and just hit 10,000 miles so driven on all types of roads in the UK in hot and freezing weather.

First 3 months in the summer the car rarely went below 3.2 miles/kw and often got up to 3.6 miles/kwh and 250 miles of range. Was surprised in December how low it dropped during freezing weather. Long journeys I did in the summer saw a drop of 30% in December and also the recent cold snap this week. Motorway journeys dropped to 160 miles max when below 3 degrees C. Charging also takes a lot longer when using ultra fast chargers en-route. Short journeys saw the biggest drop which is understandable. Some short journeys I get 1% battery per mile when cold.

If you've bought in the winter things will only get better once the weather warms up. I absolutely loved the car in the summer but now not so convinced when the weather is really cold. I've always had 4 x 4's (X5, RR's, Discovery's etc) and with the IX the grip and suspension does not given me any confidence when the roads are icy or really wet. I'm therefore driving slower on twisty A roads as the car seems to twitch around and the grip is awful.

On my BMW app, the journey stats have been showing since last October so I have 4 months of data which confirms the kwh consumption I have been getting

October Average - 32 kwh/100 miles (3.1 miles/kw)
November Average - 35.7 kwh/100 miles (2.8 miles/kw)
December Average - 38.5 kwh/100 miles (2.6 miles/kw)
January Average - 38.2 kwh/100 miles (2.6 miles/kw)

My journeys for June - September do not show but I would expect them to be around 3.2 - 3.4 miles/kw average.

Hope this gives you confidence that the range will improve dramatically once the weather starts to warm up.

· Registered
9 Posts
I've got the IX40 M sport with 22 inch wheels. Owned this since June and just hit 10,000 miles so driven on all types of roads in the UK in hot and freezing weather.

First 3 months in the summer the car rarely went below 3.2 miles/kw and often got up to 3.6 miles/kwh and 250 miles of range. Was surprised in December how low it dropped during freezing weather. Long journeys I did in the summer saw a drop of 30% in December and also the recent cold snap this week. Motorway journeys dropped to 160 miles max when below 3 degrees C. Charging also takes a lot longer when using ultra fast chargers en-route. Short journeys saw the biggest drop which is understandable. Some short journeys I get 1% battery per mile when cold.

If you've bought in the winter things will only get better once the weather warms up. I absolutely loved the car in the summer but now not so convinced when the weather is really cold. I've always had 4 x 4's (X5, RR's, Discovery's etc) and with the IX the grip and suspension does not given me any confidence when the roads are icy or really wet. I'm therefore driving slower on twisty A roads as the car seems to twitch around and the grip is awful.

On my BMW app, the journey stats have been showing since last October so I have 4 months of data which confirms the kwh consumption I have been getting

October Average - 32 kwh/100 miles (3.1 miles/kw)
November Average - 35.7 kwh/100 miles (2.8 miles/kw)
December Average - 38.5 kwh/100 miles (2.6 miles/kw)
January Average - 38.2 kwh/100 miles (2.6 miles/kw)

My journeys for June - September do not show but I would expect them to be around 3.2 - 3.4 miles/kw average.

Hope this gives you confidence that the range will improve dramatically once the weather starts to warm up.
Thanks for the detail. I am rather envious of the other posters who are getting amazing numbers and wondering what I’m doing so differently. I think my main issue is that a lot of my journeys are very short (3 miles or less). So the car will start at 0.6 mi/kWh or so as it starts moving and then by the time it gets to 1.4 or higher the journey is finished. Saying that, I did a 12 mile round trip earlier and still only got 1.8.

The car is booked in for the recall update in Feb so will ask the dealer but guessing they’ll say it’s my driving.

· Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the detail. I am rather envious of the other posters who are getting amazing numbers and wondering what I’m doing so differently. I think my main issue is that a lot of my journeys are very short (3 miles or less). So the car will start at 0.6 mi/kWh or so as it starts moving and then by the time it gets to 1.4 or higher the journey is finished. Saying that, I did a 12 mile round trip earlier and still only got 1.8.

The car is booked in for the recall update in Feb so will ask the dealer but guessing they’ll say it’s my driving.
I don't think many owners are posting amazing numbers during freezing cold snaps? The optimum EV temp is around 20 c which is equivalent to the 60's F that NomoTelsa is posting. You will achieve similar figures to his on most journeys at this temp.
To give you some idea on the massive effect freezing weather has on the IX range.......
I did a 135 mile round trip to Yorkshire in December and was minus 1 C during day. Mainly motorway and had my speed limiter on. Arrived back home with 10% battery. Exact same journey early January at +8c during day, speed limiter on again and got home with 28% battery!
It's a lot milder next week (8 to 10c near us). Try your 12 mile journey again and you should easily get 2.6mi/kwh+

· Registered
9 Posts
I don't think many owners are posting amazing numbers during freezing cold snaps? The optimum EV temp is around 20 c which is equivalent to the 60's F that NomoTelsa is posting. You will achieve similar figures to his on most journeys at this temp.
To give you some idea on the massive effect freezing weather has on the IX range.......
I did a 135 mile round trip to Yorkshire in December and was minus 1 C during day. Mainly motorway and had my speed limiter on. Arrived back home with 10% battery. Exact same journey early January at +8c during day, speed limiter on again and got home with 28% battery!
It's a lot milder next week (8 to 10c near us). Try your 12 mile journey again and you should easily get 2.6mi/kwh+
Thanks, that’s really helpful. I’ll definitely take a look next week when I redo the 12 mile journey during the warmer weather.

I should also say I love the car so am not grumbling - it’s more just trying to make sure that what I’m getting is within a fair tolerance of what would be expected given all the various variables of weather, journey length etc.

· Registered
155 Posts
@Johnson67 The iX will guzzle electricity going up a hill as will putting on the heating.

I live in the suburbs of London and do lots of short journeys (<3 miles) from a cold battery (car parked outside) and am getting anywhere between 160-220 miles range from the battery this winter, even if I drive rapidly and make use of the car's power.

I always use efficient mode (acceleration is the same as other modes, but it can switch off one of the motors when coasting I believe, and it also reduces electricity consumption if using heating)

I alternate between using adaptive regen and B mode. I like B mode for the city and adaptive regen for faster roads.

I rarely feel the need to switch the heating on in winter (unless the windscreen has frosted) as just putting the heated seat and steering wheel on seems to active the radiant panel heating where the lower dashboard and armrests heat up, and the car is so well insulated that I end up feeling warm enough.

The car really surprises me with efficiency during the winter, even though I've got 22 inch wheels. Once the battery warms up, it's amazing. I got 4.0 miles per kwh driving about 5 miles in suburban traffic the other day (it was 5C outside) but I had driven the car for about 15 miles at high speed 1 hour before, which explains why the efficiency of the 2nd trip was so high.

· Registered
BMW iX 40 M-Sport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your comments and your feedback.. Very much appreciate you taking the time to do so and i've taken some solace from the from the knowledge I'm not the only person that obsesses over efficiencies and m/Kwh!

Ive only had the car for 10 days and in the 140 miles ive driven my average m/Kwh is 1.7... The vast majority of driving is short journeys in and around town.

I've only started using B mode the last few days (which i have to admit- i dont enjoy very much), which may make a difference to efficiency. Otherwise the majority of the time ive been using low regen (adaptive was too unpredictable and high was just too much). I switched to medium which i think is the sweet spot for my driving style.

@Bennowas thank you for the tips on where to find the information- its a shame they cant configure the efficiency on the bottom row next to date battery etc. I personally think the dashboard looks too good with the map to change it to anything else.

I drive mostly in B mode and the car shows scores of 10/10 on the car widget in terms of anticipation, acceleration etc.
Is this a different widget to the journey data one? (with the animation of the car to the right next to the data)

I must say i am impressed with the car and am enjoying it- definitely a step above the i-Pace in terms of quality, but i think its come at a time of the year when range and efficiency really are at a nadir. The comments regarding the heating are completely correct- ive never been in a car this size that heats up so quickly and stays warm after turning off the heating- its remarkable.

Couple of questions - can you alter the speed of the 'creeping' once in D? I find it moves a bit too fast in D or Reverse when i take my foot off the brake.
Can you change the units for journey data on the app? (change KWh/100mi to Mi/kWh). Thanks in advance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts