Here's my theory:If the fix is available, I don’t understand why it’s taking so long. Surely these aren’t hand made craft pieces that some people are painstakingly putting together one-by-one. Why such a slow trickle - how many iXs are sold so far anyway?!
- The supplier can only make so many airbags - increasing output is a logistical nightmare and takes time
- BMW is likely one of many customers and receives a preset no. of airbags
- BMW gets to decide what they do with the airbags they receive. The manufacturing lines for the iX and X1 are still running and I haven't come across anyone saying their builds have been delayed. So very likely, majority of the airbags they're getting are going to the manufacturing plant.
- Because the number of airbags BMW gets is set in stone and corresponds to their planned output, the no. of "excess" airbags is likely very small. They then have to distribute these to likely 100s of dealerships across multiple countries
- In theory, sure BMW could estimate when a customer is likely to get their airbag - I think everything needed to do so is a known quantity. But BMW has no incentive to spend time & effort to do so.