BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can any dealers here share any official news by BMW on an iX hitch for the US market? Still crossing my fingers that BMW will be able to add an officially supported hitch soon to my iX. Thanks!

· Registered
BMW's i4 M50, X3 G01, 640 F13
51 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
If you do a search of "stealth hitch" you'll find that its been done. However to the best of my knowledge there is still no commercially available wiring adapter so its limited to toys (bike racks, etc.) not for actual towing at this point.
There was also the question raised as to whether they could install on 2023 since they'd done their installation pattern on the 2022 model. I'm not sure if there's an official answer on that one yet...

· Registered
8 Posts
There was also the question raised as to whether they could install on 2023 since they'd done their installation pattern on the 2022 model. I'm not sure if there's an official answer on that one yet...
I had it installed on a 2023 model (delivery date was Oct'2022). No issues at all. As somebody mentioned, only for bike rack which is what I need.

· Registered
7 Posts
I had it installed on a 2023 model (delivery date was Oct'2022). No issues at all. As somebody mentioned, only for bike rack which is what I need.
I’d love to see a pic of the final install. You got the stealth hitch, correct? I’m nervous about finding the installer who will be very meticulous with their work. I just need one for a 1-up hitch bike rack.

· Registered
144 Posts
I’d love to see a pic of the final install. You got the stealth hitch, correct? I’m nervous about finding the installer who will be very meticulous with their work. I just need one for a 1-up hitch bike rack.
You can find some pics of installs online...at least here are the two I'm aware of.

· Registered
BMW's i4 M50, X3 G01, 640 F13
51 Posts
You might want to check with your dealer if they can quote and install the accessory References: 63 11 5 A64 D38, 51 12 5 A31 8C2.

It’s the electrical trailer hitch for iX as an after market upgrade from bmw and should be the same as the factory hitch. Although probably much more expensive.

The possible advantage of an official bmw retrofit for the iX would be the electrical activation and possible rear camera support for docking the trailer. They offer very few hw retrofits, so I would check bmw offer first and other brands after

· Registered
7 Posts
The possible advantage of an official bmw retrofit for the iX would be the electrical activation and possible rear camera support for docking the trailer. They offer very few hw retrofits, so I would check bmw offer first and other brands after
I would 100% use this. I know there will be different answers/opinions from different contacts, but my dealer said it was unlikely this would be available in the states. I sent the actual link above. Who knows. I'd be patient if I thought it was a possibility.

· Registered
144 Posts
My BMW dealer recommended this one. I know it's not removable like the stealth hitch, but appears to me the amount of cutting is significantly less. It looks very similar to the stock hitch on my wife's X5 (from the picture). https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/BMW/iX/2023/C87NR.html?VehicleID=20236009489
I'm not sure how there would be less cutting. The entire underside of the iX is one big solid panel. There's no way to get a hitch receiver through that panel without cutting through it. I'm pretty confident the EcoHitch installs similarly: bumper comes off, hitch bar bolts to frame, hole gets cut in underside of bumper, bumper gets put back on.

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure how there would be less cutting. The entire underside of the iX is one big solid panel. There's no way to get a hitch receiver through that panel without cutting through it. I'm pretty confident the EcoHitch installs similarly: bumper comes off, hitch bar bolts to frame, hole gets cut in underside of bumper, bumper gets put back on.
I don’t disagree with the thought - but when you look at and compare the instructions - the one my dealer gave me calls for a 3” x 3” hole. This is, as you said, required to get the hitch receiver through. I believe the reason the stealth hitch requires a larger cutout is you need to fit your hands in to the sides to remove the receiver when not in use. So, pros and cons to both in my opinion. The stealth receiver requires a bigger hole, but you can remove it when not in use. The other requires a smaller hole but it’s static - will be there and visible at all times.

We all agree BMW just needs to release an official version that we can pay to have it seamless!

· Registered
144 Posts
We all agree BMW just needs to release an official version that we can pay to have it seamless!
This x100...unfortunately I can't wait on that since I need to carry a bike regularly. So I have a Stealth on order for installation next week. Maybe if I feel like I have too much money in the future and BMW surprises us I'll pay to have a new bumper installed along with the official hitch...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts