BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 50 came with piano black trim around the iDrive controller - living in a very sunny part of the world there was no way I was having cut glass throughout the car to blind me at random times!!! Anyway, does anyone know whether there is a protector film you can buy to cover this area? Like for a phone screen? I am in Australia so just wondering if anyone knows if there is a 'kit' available to cover offending areas. Thanks!

·
Registered
BMW IX 50
104 Posts
Hi,
I live in S. Florida and I can't stand how the trim around the controller looks dirty and has finger prints within 5 mins after I clean it. I have been trying so many different products to hide fingerprints and so far nothing has worked

·
Registered
40 Posts
As an aside, I've had no problem with reflections or glare from the crystal bits, even on the brightest sunny days....
One of the reasons I did not get the crystal option was because of the possibility of reflections. Given these points, that might be the wrong decision :)

I would have liked the wood finish though, but did wonder how long that would last before getting dirty and once dirty wondered whether it would clean.

Since ordering, I have been wondering whether it would be possible at some time to replace the console with the wooden one if the piano black drives us nuts. I would think it should drop in in theory.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was not a huge fan of the crystal elements either but hate piano black finishes even more, so decided the open pore wood was worth taking the crystal look in the end. Having now got the car the crystals actually aren't too bad and kind blend in pretty well.

Reactions: J78

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was not a huge fan of the crystal elements either but hate piano black finishes even more, so decided the open pore wood was worth taking the crystal look in the end. Having now got the car the crystals actually aren't too bad and kind blend in pretty well.
It amazes me that a luxury vehicle has things that drive people crazy ... that is a design flaw ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Piano black finishes are a curse across the vehicle industry right now, it's eve worse in Audis and MB cars. Someone must like them, I don't though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Now that I have my car, the piano black is not that bad. If you are really worried about reflections off that, then ... you also get reflections off the display screen from the passenger side depending on where the sun is, and ... the fingerprints on the screen are equally as bad or worse than the prints around the iDrive controller. I think I/we are going to have to set the system up and then never touch it! Maybe I will explore the gesture controls ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts