BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
iX 40 2022
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm driving the iX 40. According to the app, in October I drove 835 km (520miles) and total charging is 414 kWh.

This means a mileage of 2 km per kWh? (1.25 miles per kWh)

Isn't this horrendous? Did I calculate this correctly?

Font Darkness Brand Electric blue Screenshot

Sky Azure Font Electric blue Magenta

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I'm driving the iX 40. According to the app, in October I drove 835 km (520miles) and total charging is 414 kWh.

This means a mileage of 2 km per kWh? (1.25 miles per kWh)

Isn't this horrendous? Did I calculate this correctly?

View attachment 3005

View attachment 3006
That's less than half what I got in October driving in the UK! Total charge for my IX40 was 406kwh and mileage for October was 1074 miles (1728 km). This gives around 2.7 miles per kwh (4.3 km/kwh). This has dropped due to cooler weather and was getting around 3 miles per kwh during summer months. Your figures seem really low so worth monitoring individual journeys to see why your cars using so much electric.

·
Registered
iX 40 2022
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's less than half what I got in October driving in the UK! Total charge for my IX40 was 406kwh and mileage for October was 1074 miles (1728 km). This gives around 2.7 miles per kwh (4.3 km/kwh). This has dropped due to cooler weather and was getting around 3 miles per kwh during summer months. Your figures seem really low so worth monitoring individual journeys to see why your cars using so much electric.
Are you using regenerative braking?

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is no option to not use regenerative braking. The options are for how strong you want it to be, and that's only in D mode (not B). You do understand that by using minimal regen you are not putting enough energy back into the pack and are wasting it as heat through friction braking?

·
Registered
iX 40 2022
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no option to not use regenerative braking. The options are for how strong you want it to be, and that's only in D mode (not B). You do understand that by using minimal regen you are not putting enough energy back into the pack and are wasting it as heat through friction braking?
We wanted to avoid one-pedal driving. But I’ll definitely look into increasing the regenerative mode. Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was under the impression, from several members, that even if you are in D mode that when you apply the brake pedal that the car applies regenerative braking first (therefore charging the battery) and only uses physical brake pads if additional braking is necessary. In B mode you get 1-pedal driving, but in D mode you use the brake, but it's up to the car to decide HOW the brake slows the car. Let me know if you think it does differently.

·
Registered
402 Posts
All correct above - mostly. The different settings for regenerative braking (High, Medium, Low) apply to D mode braking when lifting off the throttle depending on what you have set (and also true you cannot set it to "None"). Adaptive mode applies regeneration based on an algorithm set by the car, and is variable depending on traffic and route. B mode applies maximum regeneration all the time when not accelerating and will allow true one-pedal driving (stopping the car even on an incline when you release the throttle).

Personal computer Output device Vehicle Computer Gadget

·
Registered
28 Posts
When driving in the B mode, one pedal driving, do the brake lights come on while slowing down?
Yes, all PHEV/BEV vehicles that offer regen braking engage the brake lights in the same appropriate time that a regular ICE car would, to avoid getting rear ended by other cars. In vehicles that allow for full 1-pedal driving, where you never press the brake, this is exceptionally important. In B-Mode + AutoHold on, you can (99% of the time) drive the iX in a single pedal method.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From Malaysia: Approximately 4 km/kWh, we only have summer all year long with lots of rain, 22" aftermarket wheels with 285/40 profile tires. 50/50 freeway/urban, on the highway, I drive on Adaptive D with "Low" on regen, and city driving on B mode. Constantly in Sport mode.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We wanted to avoid one-pedal driving. But I’ll definitely look into increasing the regenerative mode. Thanks.
You need to embrace one-pedal driving. It does take some orientation to use it smoothly - but once you settle in the one-pedal experience is far superior to two pedals. I found one-pedal changed the overall driving experience adding to the enjoyable uniqueness to EV operation.

Give a try for 30 days and I suspect you won't go back to D and two-pedal operation...irregardless of the extra range you'll get in B.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You need to embrace one-pedal driving. It does take some orientation to use it smoothly - but once you settle in the one-pedal experience is far superior to two pedals. I found one-pedal changed the overall driving experience adding to the enjoyable uniqueness to EV operation.

Give a try for 30 days and I suspect you won't go back to D and two-pedal operation...irregardless of the extra range you'll get in B.
@PhiliX Interesting perspective. I found no difference in range driving with adaptive regen and D vs B. Personally I prefer lifting off and letting the car coast as much as possible rather than one pedal driving so I never use B mode (I don't like one pedal driving in any EV)

The good thing about the iX is that at least the driver has options. I would not have got it if it didn't have the option to coast when lifting off throttle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
@PhiliX Interesting perspective. I found no difference in range driving with adaptive regen and D vs B. Personally I prefer lifting off and letting the car coast as much as possible rather than one pedal driving so I never use B mode (I don't like one pedal driving in any EV)

The good thing about the iX is that at least the driver has options. I would not have got it if it didn't have the option to coast when lifting off throttle.
Options are a good thing! Whether D or B...I'm enjoying the new experience of operating a fully EV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are two things I found with my iX. I got great mileage this weekend with the car in Efficient/B (regen) driving behind my husband in a U-haul truck. I drove 120 miles at 60 mph (vs the 70-75 I usually drive on the highway). My car did great and got way better mileage than I thought it would! According to the range, my car's calculated range showed I'd only driven 54 miles. My charge went from 78% to 53% by the time I got home.

Another exciting thing I found driving on twisty 2 lane (rural) roads. The iX has incredible handing when put in the Efficient/ B mode. Not what I would have expected at all. In Sport and Regular mode, the suspension is different. In Efficient and 1 pedal, you can book through the curves (ie ~40 mph where the speed is rated at 20 mph) with total control of the car. I'm a fairly conservative driver, too. It almost feels like this SUV is a sports car with a lowered center of gravity. To compare, we have a Porsche Taycan which is better for handling but not by as much as you'd think.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here are two things I found with my iX. I got great mileage this weekend with the car in Efficient/B (regen) driving behind my husband in a U-haul truck. I drove 120 miles at 60 mph (vs the 70-75 I usually drive on the highway). My car did great and got way better mileage than I thought it would! According to the range, my car's calculated range showed I'd only driven 54 miles. My charge went from 78% to 53% by the time I got home.

Another exciting thing I found driving on twisty 2 lane (rural) roads. The iX has incredible handing when put in the Efficient/ B mode. Not what I would have expected at all. In Sport and Regular mode, the suspension is different. In Efficient and 1 pedal, you can book through the curves (ie ~40 mph where the speed is rated at 20 mph) with total control of the car. I'm a fairly conservative driver, too. It almost feels like this SUV is a sports car with a lowered center of gravity. To compare, we have a Porsche Taycan which is better for handling but not by as much as you'd think.
Great on range results! Drafting behind a truck will add to your range as well...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts