BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my car last week, it was a dealer demo unit, so it had some miles on it. One thing that bothered me almost immediately is that the driver's side was almost blowing cold air no matter what the setting was. I then noticed that my climate menu only has one zone as opposed to two on all videos/photos I saw online — in fact it looks like the menu from i4. And there's no auto air recirculation option somehow.

I signed up for a check this Thursday, but was wondering if anyone had similar issues.

Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Audio equipment Font

Computer Output device Personal computer Netbook Laptop

· Registered
94 Posts
First thing I notice is you have it set to Air Conditioning. Click on "AC" to turn it off. You should have 4-zone climate control, even in the base model. You'll get a different menu when you click off the A/C. As for only having one zone, you do have two: both driver and passenger have seat warmers and each has its own temperature control.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing I notice is you have it set to Air Conditioning. Click on "AC" to turn it off. You should have 4-zone climate control, even in the base model. You'll get a different menu when you click off the A/C.
Tried it, does't change a thing unfortunately.

As for only having one zone, you do have two: both driver and passenger have seat warmers and each has its own temperature control.
Yep, there's a zone for seat heating, but the air blower settings are only a single set (fan and direction). On all iX videos I've seen there are two sets for those settings.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of curiosity, is the vehicle registered with BMW and have you gone through the setup with the My BMW app? Your BMW ID should be listed.
Yes, it is registered with the dealership and BMW ID is set up. Before I got the vehicle, the dealer made all the necessary updates and recalls, so my best guess is that they somehow coded the wrong software into the climate block. Will find out tomorrow, hopefully.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the original issue of only cold air blowing on the driver's side is fixed. They just reprogrammed the block's software and it worked. Apparently it's a well-known problem.

The situation with the single climate zone is strange. The local dealership investigated and told me that I have "a simple version of the climate control". Apparently there are two variants, and I have exactly the same as on i4. I've quickly investigated, and every single document on the web tells me that the default option is 2.5-zone climate control, and 4-zone is an option.
Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Font
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Parallel

The only thing they suggested to do is to write to BMW customer relations in Germany and ask for clarification.

· Registered
67 Posts
Well, the original issue of only cold air blowing on the driver's side is fixed. They just reprogrammed the block's software and it worked. Apparently it's a well-known problem.

The situation with the single climate zone is strange. The local dealership investigated and told me that I have "a simple version of the climate control". Apparently there are two variants, and I have exactly the same as on i4. I've quickly investigated, and every single document on the web tells me that the default option is 2.5-zone climate control, and 4-zone is an option.
View attachment 3538 View attachment 3537

The only thing they suggested to do is to write to BMW customer relations in Germany and ask for clarification.
Personally I'd be considering rejecting the car if this is the case. Do you have the spec sheet on the car to confirm?

4NB is the 4 zone and in the UK at least is standard on all models from the configurator.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally I'd be considering rejecting the car if this is the case. Do you have the spec sheet on the car to confirm?

4NB is the 4 zone and in the UK at least is standard on all models from the configurator.
It's not standard in Germany, and I'm fine with not having a 4-zone climate control, I very rarely have passengers in the back. But 2-zone climate control and auto air recirculation should be a standard on the car like iX.

Wrote to BMW Customer Support in Germany in my best Google-translated-German, let's what they reply, if anything. I will be appalled if they say there's nothing that can be done about it.

· Registered
262 Posts
It's not standard in Germany, and I'm fine with not having a 4-zone climate control, I very rarely have passengers in the back. But 2-zone climate control and auto air recirculation should be a standard on the car like iX.

Wrote to BMW Customer Support in Germany in my best Google-translated-German, let's what they reply, if anything. I will be appalled if they say there's nothing that can be done about it.
Your dealer isn't helping you?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your dealer isn't helping you?
I got the demo car from a dealer in Germany, and now in Latvia visited an authorized BMW service to check the situation with the climate control. It's difficult in smaller countries like Latvia, since dealerships and service centers here anyway will have to contact either Finland or Germany to provide support. So I went directly to the German Customer Support.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, the saga continues. After I picked up my car from the shop last Thursday, the driver's side was blowing hot air for some time, but a few days later it stopped again and now it's back to what it was before — driver's side blows only cold air no matter what is the temperature.

On Friday I received an email from BMW support asking to confirm my ownership of the car. Today I got a call from the German dealer who I got the car from. Apparently BMW referred my case to them, so I had a video call with them to prove that I actually know what I'm talking about. They thought I'm just stupid and can't figure out the settings. But then we compared the climate control screens — the guy was sitting in another iX, and the problem is apparent — I don't have 2 climate zone nor do I have an auto air recirculation, both are standard on iX. Now waiting for the results of the investigation on their end.

· Registered
262 Posts
Sounds like the software thinks there is only one zone and adjusts itself accordingly. There must be a hardware failure at the core of this causing the car to think there is only a single climate zone. Nice to know that the software adjusts itself to mask the issue lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts