BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to get the US IX 50 very early. I think it is amazing overall, however, if I could have a wish list on things that can be added, changed, included in US, here is what I would suggest (hopefully the BMW executives are reading this.

1-I wish the app would support live, realtime surround cameras (like Tesla does)
2- Allow automatic recording when a person come within a proximity of the car rather than start recording after an alarm is triggered.
3-US does not yet support automatic speed limit changes when using driving assistant pro (you have to keep hitting the set button when speed limit changes)
4-iphone users can't stream or watch videos on screen while car is parked. Strange considering Android users can and IX had an agreement with Apple for auto door unlocking exclusive with Iphone. It would be a great idea while sitting and charging car with nothing to do.
5-When using the driving assistance setting in the main center screen, I wish the display would show better view of the cars approaching in your blind spot. It actually will show the car approaching, however, by the time you see it on the display, the approaching car is already dangerously too close to switch lanes. If this can be adjusted (which it can't now), it would definitely help when changing lanes, in addition to the already included blind spot monitor on the mirror.
6-Selling an aftermarket moonroof screen. I live in S. Florida, even with the moonroof set to max darkness, you can still feel the heat and see the sunlight coming through.
7-Glove box is almost impossible to open at night. The button is off to the side of the box and not illuminated. I know that most glove box buttons are not lit up however, at night you and usually guess the location since most are usually in the center of the glove box,,,this one is not making it almost impossible to find.
8-US is missing the feature that will allow you to record up to 20 or so driving sequences and then "play" them back. Im not referring the back-up assistance as this is something different and there videos posted on both. Also, US does not have sign and traffic light recognition set up.
9- I wish rear windows can be programmed to completely come down. Strange!
10- Driving modes-Personal (at least mine), can not be "personalized" LOL. On my PHEV X3 I was able to customize it.
11-Adaptive suspension does not stayed raised after the car is turned off. You have to raise it each time.
12- I wish (like my PHEV X3) I pop up would appear after the car is turned off which say Climatize Immediately. For instance, when you are running into the grocery store for like 10 mins and want to keep your car cold (especially in S. Florida), you can just press the button to keep the AC running, instead of locking the door and then turning it on using the app. Too many steps.

I love the car overall,,,best car I have EVER owned, but I hope BMW reads this and maybe will make some changed

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would agree on some of your points
To me why is blind spot not displayed on the HUD ? If you do indicate to change lanes and something is in your blind spot you do get the wheel vibration
Your point 11 in the UK the suspension only raises about 1/2" barely noticeable different over there ?
Climatize yes even the i3 has that
The Tesla sentry system appears brilliant are they the only manufacturers to offer that ?. I'm sure there are 20 or so software enginners at Tesla twiddling their thumbs thinking what can we add next

I've heard the software update is imminent I hope it includes manouver assistant and Panorama view at selected GPS points - it can lower the window why not activate the camera far more useful (i4 has it now)

·
Registered
29 Posts
After 1,000 miles on ours I would wholeheartedly agree that that this is the nicest car I've ever owned, let alone been in. Not to be a Tesla-basher but this makes the Model S & X seem like a toy.

Agreed that the blind spot protection could be more robust. I find myself not noticing the light in the side view mirror.

And definitely got a chuckle that you can't personalize Personal mode.

Also, the manual appears misleading in discussing the locking key for the wheel lug nuts. Ours do not have the locking lugs, but the tire wrench is not supplied with the tire repair kit.

We got the front 2 windows and the windshield tinted. Helps tremendously with the Arizona sunshine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would agree on some of your points
To me why is blind spot not displayed on the HUD ? If you do indicate to change lanes and something is in your blind spot you do get the wheel vibration
Your point 11 in the UK the suspension only raises about 1/2" barely noticeable different over there ?
Climatize yes even the i3 has that
The Tesla sentry system appears brilliant are they the only manufacturers to offer that ?. I'm sure there are 20 or so software enginners at Tesla twiddling their thumbs thinking what can we add next

I've heard the software update is imminent I hope it includes manouver assistant and Panorama view at selected GPS points - it can lower the window why not activate the camera far more useful (i4 has it now)
Hi,
I actually just got off the phone with the BMW rep. I received an email asking for feedback on the IX and spent 30 mins telling him what basically can be improved with a software update. Yeah Maneuver assistance (I forgot thats what it is called). Its frustrating to see some of these featured being demonstrated on YouTube before I bought my car only to find out its not avail.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After 1,000 miles on ours I would wholeheartedly agree that that this is the nicest car I've ever owned, let alone been in. Not to be a Tesla-basher but this makes the Model S & X seem like a toy.

Agreed that the blind spot protection could be more robust. I find myself not noticing the light in the side view mirror.

And definitely got a chuckle that you can't personalize Personal mode.

Also, the manual appears misleading in discussing the locking key for the wheel lug nuts. Ours do not have the locking lugs, but the tire wrench is not supplied with the tire repair kit.

We got the front 2 windows and the windshield tinted. Helps tremendously with the Arizona sunshine.
Could't agree more with you about the X and S feeling like a toy. I have actually said the same exact words to people in describing the build quality comparison between the two! I also got the side windows tinted as well as moonroof (5%),,,its better for sure. I have the center console display set to 'driving assistance' view as default...Its really nice to see the cars all around you, but if they could just expand the range for the cars on your left and right view, it would really make this mode even better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I actually just got off the phone with the BMW rep. I received an email asking for feedback on the IX and spent 30 mins telling him what basically can be improved with a software update. Yeah Maneuver assistance (I forgot thats what it is called). Its frustrating to see some of these featured being demonstrated on YouTube before I bought my car only to find out its not avail.
JP. I live in Texas and am concerned about the moonroof and heat. You mention you got it tinted. I am concerned that this will affect the opaque - clear function of tithe roof and could void any warranty. Any issues? Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. I should pick mine up next week if all goes well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts JP!

You mentioned 5% on the moonroof tinting - I'm assuming that is the VLT and if so, whilst that should be helpful to cut down some of the glare and heat during daytime, appreciate your feedback on the visibility of it at night. Is it too dark to see through at night using a 5% VLT? Living in the tropics, I'm struggling with how much tinting I should go without affecting too much of the visibility at night and still be able to see through the moonroof. I'm exploring having transitional film tinting on the moonroof.

·
Registered
3 Posts

You mentioned 5% on the moonroof tinting - I'm assuming that is the VLT and if so, whilst that should be helpful to cut down some of the glare and heat during daytime, appreciate your feedback on the visibility of it at night. Is it too dark to see through at night using a 5% VLT? Living in the tropics, I'm struggling with how much tinting I should go without affecting too much of the visibility at night and still be able to see through the moonroof. I'm exploring having transitional film tinting on the moonroof.
Wolverine. If I do the tint on the roof, I am going with a clear ceramic. It would be the same as what they use on the front windshield. It reduces the heat quite a bit. Also thinking of doing the same on the factory tinted rear windows as it provides UV protection as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hi,
I did tint with 5% ceramic. I did it for a few reasons. First, Living in South Florida it is incredibly hot 9 months during the year, as such, Im not really the type of person who will use a sun roof/ moon roof because of the heat, and glare from the sun. With my IX, I did not have a choice to not get a moonroof, I think all the original ones came with one. Anyway, I was surprised it did not have a sunscreen which is SO important for glare (for me at least). The 5% tinting makes it much darker, but you can still actually see the sun when you look up. The self tinting moonroof seemed more like gimmick to me because when it is clear, its not completely clear. When it is set to opaque, it does not completely block out the light. If you like using the effect, then I would not tint, however, if the heat is a concern,,the 5% makes a big difference. At night, you will not be able to see anything through the roof, regardless of the tint setting in case you are wondering. Let me know what you decide and good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JP. I live in Texas and am concerned about the moonroof and heat. You mention you got it tinted. I am concerned that this will affect the opaque - clear function of tithe roof and could void any warranty. Any issues? Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. I should pick mine up next week if all goes well.
Hi, I was thinking the same before I did it. I did not want to do the clear because I actually wanted to cut down glare as much a possible. For me, any car I have owned, before this one, I always had the sunscreen closed. If it was up to me I would never choose to get a sunroof /moonroof on a car down here in FL, however, most cars simply include them now as standard. When I had the moonroof tinted, I went to a very good person. He did warn me that there are comments on the internet about moonroofs shattering due to aftermarket tinting. However, he said, and most of the posts say this too, that the moonroof shattering was not a result of tinting, but rather the construction of the moon roof and type of glass used. In his 30 years of tinting (and also doing a ton of Tesla tinting) he has never had it happen once. There was actually a local news story (completely by coincidence) last week about moonroofs here in South FL shattering....Not one person had their roofs tinted. Also, I currently own a BMW X3 PHEV and had the roof tinted the same way when I purchased it 1.5 years ago,,,no issue. Regarding warranty, its really unknown whether BMW will fix it or not if it breaks,,,,just tinting will not void warranty. However, if something happens and BMW does not want to fix it, I called my insurance company to check what they would do. They told me that they would repair it regardless, less policy deductible $250. So based on that, I decided to take the risk and tint...I have had my IX now for 2 months here in the hot sun and no issues or regrets so far. BMW called me a week ago asking for feedback on IX since I was one of the first to take delivery in the US. Among other things I requested a pop in sunscreen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
I did tint with 5% ceramic. I did it for a few reasons. First, Living in South Florida it is incredibly hot 9 months during the year, as such, Im not really the type of person who will use a sun roof/ moon roof because of the heat, and glare from the sun. With my IX, I did not have a choice to not get a moonroof, I think all the original ones came with one. Anyway, I was surprised it did not have a sunscreen which is SO important for glare (for me at least). The 5% tinting makes it much darker, but you can still actually see the sun when you look up. The self tinting moonroof seemed more like gimmick to me because when it is clear, its not completely clear. When it is set to opaque, it does not completely block out the light. If you like using the effect, then I would not tint, however, if the heat is a concern,,the 5% makes a big difference. At night, you will not be able to see anything through the roof, regardless of the tint setting in case you are wondering. Let me know what you decide and good luck!
Thanks! As I will most likely not go for such dark tinting, I'm also considering aftermarket panoramic mash. If it is not too much of a hassle, appreciate if you can share the length and width dimensions of the panoramic roof - am searching online for options before the car arrives next month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts