BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has experience with how the traffic light detection works? It is part of the Driving Assistant Professional in combination with the Active Cruise Control and Stop and Go function. Thanks!

·
Registered
402 Posts
In mine at least, it's a free trial subscription right now (to be continued, presumably), which basically does nothing. The way it worked (and works) in Audis is that it alerts you to changing lights ahead of time (but didn't brake). And it only worked in selected cities (like Las Vegas) that were on a special network. I assume that ultimately it will begin braking the car at red lights, but I expect we're years out from that (although BMW's may work with camera recognition, which might speed things up and not require the network). Still interesting feature, but I'm not holding out hope that it will do much other than what we see with traffic sign recognition right now - "Yup, that's a 40 mph zone. Want to set the speed?" "There's a traffic light coming up, in case you weren't paying attention." "Beep." :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't see it being active in much of the SF Bay area, but did see it show up in parts of Los Angeles. Tells you there is a red light camera xx feet away in the HUD.
Good point - the BMW subscription appears to be traffic camera information/recognition - very different from traffic light recognition.

"BMW Traffic Camera Information alerts you to fixed and mobile traffic enforcement cameras and radar. Available subscription periods may differ by model."

I had this on my X5, and it worked indifferently well, but my state has no traffic cameras anyway, so it only showed up on trips. And as an aside, it appears that traffic light recognition is not an option offered in the US...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is from BMW Canada website under the Driving Assistant Professional:

"Driving Assistant Professional is a camera and radar-based driver assistance system that offers optimum comfort and safety during critical or monotonous traffic situations. It consists of the contents of Driving Assistant, plus:

Steering and Lane Control Assistant assists in keeping to the middle of the lane through corrective steering interventions.

Automatic Speed Limit Assist combines Speed Limit Info and Active Cruise Control (ACC). It enables the automated, predictive adoption of a detected speed into the ACC.

Lane Change Assistant is part of the Steering and Lane Control Assistant for comfortable lane changing at higher speeds.

Lane Keeping Assistant with active side collision protection assists the driver in keeping in lane and actively preventing potential side collisions by means of corrective steering interventions.

Crossing Traffic Warning (front) brakes in the event of crossing traffic while leaving/entering a parking space as well as while turning into crossing traffic in situations with restricted visibility.

Evasion Aid assists in critical approach situations when evading is still possible.

Crossroads Warning with city braking function

Wrong-way Warning detects 'no entry' signs on motorways, roundabouts and one-way streets.

Traffic light detection is an extension of the ACC S&G function for automated response to traffic lights.

Please ask for further information on speed restrictions specific to each function.

The system scopes included in this equipment only provide assistance within defined limits. It remains the responsibility of the driver to react to the actual traffic situation."

Looks like BMW is using some clever wording to make it sound like it does more than it actually can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts