BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you lucky enough to take delivery of your IX’s in the next few weeks, in the uk, have you been asked to fit a tracker by the insurance company, and has anyone found a good deal,on insurance?

just ordered mine this week.

·
Registered
153 Posts
For those of you lucky enough to take delivery of your IX’s in the next few weeks, in the uk, have you been asked to fit a tracker by the insurance company, and has anyone found a good deal,on insurance?

just ordered mine this week.
Direct line wanted a Tracker and annual policy was about £600 - Confused etc. come up with around the same price though a month ago I was getting quotes of half that price

Gap insurance is proving more difficult as OTR price is £113k most have a limit of £75k

My MS 50 should have been arriving next week but is stuck halfway through production, built but not finished

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Direct line wanted a Tracker and annual policy was about £600 - Confused etc. come up with around the same price though a month ago I was getting quotes of half that price.
Did you have to phone to get the quote, or was that just online. I'm currently with Privilege and they refused to ensure it as it was over £100K. I'll give Directline a go when I get nearer. I'm three months away from Delivery. By then you guys will have done all the hard work and got some answers :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I currently have a 2021 X5 45e. With the MyBMW app I can track the vehicle at any time and even activate the cameras to look around it. Came in handy once when I forgot where I parked. I would imagine that it is safe to assume with the more advanced iX this and more should be incorporated.
Not sure if this is acceptable for insurance purposes across the pond but looks more secure than a 3rd party device. Good Luck.
MY BMW APP (bmwusa.com)
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apologize in advance for my primitive question :) Why is this tracker requirement for? I have never heard about this, is this something specific for UK?
It’s a locator transmitter fitted to the car , so if it is stolen it can be recovered.

it’s a requirement in the uk for some insurance companies if the car is worth more than £xxx”s

·
Registered
153 Posts
I apologize in advance for my primitive question :) Why is this tracker requirement for? I have never heard about this, is this something specific for UK?
It goes back to the times before 2000 when desirable cars were stolen often to order and exported. The original tracker before GPS, was activated when the car was moved or started without the keys and its location was tracked by the police which had special devices fitted to cars and helicopters. There was a famous theft of a Lotus Carlton RA40 (I still have mine, it was broken into 3 times but never stolen) which even out run the police helicopter its max speed was 176mph in 1991. Most impressive is mid range grunt 30-70 in 3.6s or if chipped 2.9s

Lotus Carlton

Nowadays with remote acces key scanning cars are stolen this way and the tracker can be activated manually or automatically depending on the type.
Remember the tracking via the app is easiy turned off in the car.

Yes the iX has remote access to all its cameras

·
Registered
iX xdrive50
42 Posts
@ExiPaceOwner @ICS_UK

Thank you for the explanations. Maybe in the future it may come to Turkey as well. Currently only corporate cars have these kind of monitoring systems here. Or maybe if the owner likes to have.

In Turkey, since 2019, connected drive services (plus all internet connections on all other brands as well) are disabled, so we don’t have that risk :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts