BMW iX Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I bought the same plate mount from EOS. Here's my photo. Notice 2 things: I have my EzPass mounted at bottom. It's not a Flex pass, but I never carpool anymore. The 2nd thing is the cracks in my finishing grill. New parts are on order from Germany, so it is a good time to install the tow hook mount before the permanent sticky tape is used with the factory front plate mount. I also wanted the cleaner look of the front grill. (Damaged caused by someone backing into me while I was at a full stop. The Drive Recorder video was much appreciated by my insurance company to clear me of any fault. I posted the video on the Drive Recorder thread if you want to see it. )
View attachment 2351
My experience with 2 different varieties is that the threading of the tow hook is different from every other BMW. It sounds like you are confirming that the tow hook thread width is sufficient to connect to the iX, and that it is the same as the current X5? BMW Dealer couldn't find a tow hook that worked for me at all...

·
Registered
48 Posts
My experience with 2 different varieties is that the threading of the tow hook is different from every other BMW. It sounds like you are confirming that the tow hook thread width is sufficient to connect to the iX, and that it is the same as the current X5? BMW Dealer couldn't find a tow hook that worked for me at all...
I relied on an earlier post in this thread confirming the EOS tow hook mount for the X5 worked on the iX. His link was to the EOS Plates website, which, when I checked, said those plates were sold out. Separately, I was in an email exchanges with an EOS customer service rep, and when I told him the website said solid out for that X5 model, he gave me an Amazon link where there were a few left in stock. That's how I bought mine, and it fits. The kit comes with 2 spacer rings, to ensure licences plate extends far enough forward to clear front bumper, but I only had to use 1 of them. Here's the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FW4L78P?ref=myi_title_dp (I just checked, and Amazon says they have 13 left in stock.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got one and the instructions note to remove it during automated car wash which is clearly not going to happen. Has anyone run one of these through a car wash and had any issue?
The EOS website has this notice wrt their Full-size or Mid-size mount brackets: The full-size mount bracket can prevent the license plate from being grabbed or bent by automatic car wash brushes or any other external force.
I bought the full-size, and haven't had any problem with auto carwash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The EOS website has this notice wrt their Full-size or Mid-size mount brackets: The full-size mount bracket can prevent the license plate from being grabbed or bent by automatic car wash brushes or any other external force.
I bought the full-size, and haven't had any problem with auto carwash.
Great. Is "full size" the same size as the license plate?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great. Is "full size" the same size as the license plate?
I have installed the tow hook plate designed for the M-5 which fit fine. However, when driving, the sensors constantly rhink I'm parking and go off showing surrounding areas and beebing. It doesn't appear to be blocking any sensors. Can't drive with this. Any place,ment suggestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have installed the tow hook plate designed for the M-5 which fit fine. However, when driving, the sensors constantly rhink I'm parking and go off showing surrounding areas and beebing. It doesn't appear to be blocking any sensors. Can't drive with this. Any place,ment suggestions?
It works for me, but you need to put off center (towards the passenger number). It looks odd at first but eventually I just accepted it as something that needed to be done.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It works for me, but you need to put off center (towards the passenger number). It looks odd at first but eventually I just accepted it as something that needed to be done.
In addition to off-center toward passenger side, try using one of the lower horizontal slots on the mount bracket, which will raise the plate up to ensure it doesn't affect the sensor in that area just below. I think I used the 3rd slot from bottom instead of the center slot on the mount bracket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In addition to off-center toward passenger side, try using one of the lower horizontal slots on the mount bracket, which will raise the plate up to ensure it doesn't affect the sensor in that area just below. I think I used the 3rd slot from bottom instead of the center slot on the mount bracket.
I repositioned it and all is well. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will not yet have a plate allocated. DMV sends it a 3 to 4 weeks after the sale
That’s not really relevant. You get temp plates with the sale that fit where the real license plates go. There is a front license plate bracket that uses double-sided tape; it doesn’t matter if you stick in a real metal plate or the temp paper plate.

Regarding my original question, indeed, you can sign a waiver that says you don’t want them to install it (as someone else mentioned above).

21 - 40 of 42 Posts