BMW iX Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On an iX, the 20” wheels give the bigger mileage and I suppose the 22” wheels give the car that sporty look. But what’s the point of the 21” wheels (which I’ve accidentally ordered). You get the least mileage and and appearance advantage it offers is also available with the 22” wheels. Are they likely to be more comfortable than the 22s?

· Registered
42 Posts
On an iX, the 20” wheels give the bigger mileage and I suppose the 22” wheels give the car that sporty look. But what’s the point of the 21” wheels (which I’ve accidentally ordered). You get the least mileage and and appearance advantage it offers is also available with the 22” wheels. Are they likely to be more comfortable than the 22s?
I wouldn't worry too much about the range : a major contributing factor is the tires, and there seems to be little consistency in what's rolling out of the factory. I could imagine, for example, a Conti 22" being better than a Bridgestone 21", but a Michelin 22 being worse than a Conti 21, or something to that effect. 10 miles difference over a 400 mile distance can have an awful lot of causes.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I cut short 'advantage' in the thread title!

Thanks for the responces. No, I'm not particularly worried about the range and from what I've been reading, range seems to be better that the rating, even on long road trips. I was just curious why BMW would offer 21" wheels at all rather than just better looking 20" wheels. Anyway, I'm probably going to be quite happy with my 'accidentally' ordered 21 inchers.

The status on My BMW shows my car as 'DISPATCHED FROM FACTORY' so hopefully its not going to be too long now.

· Registered
42 Posts
I was just curious why BMW would offer 21" wheels at all rather than just better looking 20" wheels.
Ah, that is a poisonous cocktail of beancountery, marketing and black arts, and is only known to the cauldron stirrers in the inner sanctum of BMW. But I'd take a wild stab they can empty the punters' pockets more efficiently this way.
But I wish you many safe journeys with your iX !

· Registered
44 Posts
I went with 21s with winter tires because I frequently drive the mountains to snowboard and need more protection from rocks and holes. In the event of R3, I also need to apply chains which fit the 21s.

If I was city only I would have gone with 22s and summer tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts